RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: M1 Carbine Magazines: GI or KCI?

Boolit Mold

M1 Carbine Magazines: GI or KCI?

BLUF/tl;dr: shooters with experience using both GI and KCI mags in M1 Carbine, is shiny new KCI or rusty GI better?

I recently took possession of an M1 Carbine. The magazine situation is not great: I got only a few mags to go with it. I scored a handful more old GI mags with big nasty rust spots all over them, but some sand paper and black rustoleum rehabilitated them nicely.

I am planning on a second purchase. I scoured all the forums with relevant threads, read reviews, hit up all the YouTubers with related videos, and drew the following conclusions: 15rd GI mags are consistent and reliable but (maybe?) not very durable; the 15rd KCIs (new production Korean) are reliable; the Old Tiawanese 15rd mags are excellent but unobtainable; the new Tiawanese mags are bad; the original GI 30rd mags are good but unobtainable at any reasonable price; the KCI 30rd mags are not a safe bet (some are reliable and some are not); any ProMag (15rd or 30rd) is an absolute no-go.

While most places are sold out, I have found a few smaller outfits with the KCI 15rd magazines still in stock and one with the same outside-rusted GI mags.

I want this weapon to be a practical PDW for a family member (woman or teenage boy) to use in an emergency, not just a fun shooter, so reliability is big.

Boolit Buddy
    From what I can remember, KCI are Korean magazines produced on the original Winchester M1 machinery. Quality should be on par with USGI magazines.

I see that CDNN and MidwayUSA both had the Korean-made mags for sale at reasonable prices. J&G also had them at less reasonable prices, and original G.I. 15 rounders still in the wrapper at very unreasonable prices. In the past I've purchased the Korean 30 rd. mags from CDNN and they worked fine. Many years ago I had a 30 rd. (not G.I.) made in the U.S. that would always fail to feed more that 5 or 6 rounds. The hang-up seemed to be at the bend in the mag.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    I have a bunch of original mags, and also a bunch of the Korean mags. the Korean ones have been flawless, and are the ones I use most. many of my original ones are still wrapped, so I just let them sit.
    Barry

I have had no feeding issues with my KCI mags and use them in Carbine CMP matches exclusively.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by panhed65 View Post
    ..... the Korean ones have been flawless, and are the ones I use most...
    This has been my experience too. Korean mags are great. For GI mags, I would highly recommend getting new springs.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Sorry to disagree with most everybody but I bought a pair of newly made Korean 15 round mags last year for my carbine and they are junk.
    I noticed right away they fit really loose when I first put one in the gun, sloppy so I laid it next to my original mag and could see the front to back length was short. I fired the mag and had several jams right off.
    I measured the Korean mag with dial calipers and it’s about .050 short and a little narrow also. It does lock into the gun but is a loose fit. I don’t remember if the mags had a brand name but just remember they were Korean made.

Jedman

Boolit Mold
    Jedman, what kind of Carbine do you have? I thought a consensus was forming till you shared your experience.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    +1 on the KCI mags, they are fine.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Bub
    Another +1 on the KCI mags. I have both 15 & 30's. They both work great for me.

Boolit Master
    Fast as I need to get to work, PM me !!

Boolit Mold
    I'm going to get KCI since the overwhelming majority have had positive experiences. Thanks everybody.

Boolit Master
    Bought my Korean mags when they first came into the country. Never had a problem with any of them. Frank

I have quite a lot of original mags as well as KCI. KCI's are great magazines and are all I use now.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I see that CDNN and MidwayUSA both had the Korean-made mags for sale at reasonable prices. J&G also had them at less reasonable prices, and original G.I. 15 rounders still in the wrapper at very unreasonable prices. In the past I've purchased the Korean 30 rd. mags from CDNN and they worked fine. Many years ago I had a 30 rd. (not G.I.) made in the U.S. that would always fail to feed more that 5 or 6 rounds. The hang-up seemed to be at the bend in the mag.

DG
    I just ordered three of the KCI mags from J & G for $20/each. Darn mags are getting harder to find. Gunbroker and Fleabay list USGI mags at ridiculous prices. I'm on email alert at Brownells for KCI's $10/each.
    314th Air Divsion
    20th Tactical Air Support Squadron
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69

Personal and Up "Close Air Support"

Boolit Master

Anyone making a decent 10 rounder ?
    Being human is not for sissies.

Quote Originally Posted by square butte View Post
    Anyone making a decent 10 rounder ?
    Only place that I'm aware of is Fleabay. When I looked at availability and the number of bidders it appears that a lot of folks are looking for them.
    314th Air Divsion
    20th Tactical Air Support Squadron
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69

Personal and Up "Close Air Support"

Gunmagwarehouse.com shows two different brands of 10 round carbine magazines, but they're out of stock. Sign up for email alerts.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

I bought a couple of these last year and they work fine in my GI Carbine. https://www.keepshooting.com/m1-carb...-magazine.html

Also had good luck with the KCI 30 rounders I got from AIM Surplus at a good price.

Availability is another story....

Boolit Buddy
    for you carbine shooters, got notice today SG ammo actually has Korean surplus ammo in stock. not cheap like it was, but at least it was there.
    Barry