Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .358 molds

Boolit Grand Master
    For over 40 years the correct answer is a Hollow point 158 +P. Variously known as the "Chicago Load", the "St. Louis Load", the "FBI load" and probably one or two more I am forgetting, this set the standard for stopping power in police service revolvers and I have seen nothing (reputable) to show that it has been excelled since. Ignore the RNFP and WC, SWC references. They are better than some, but if you intend to spend money for life insurance, buy the best.

In ordinary times, I would recommend you order a box of Federal 38G or Winchester X38SPD, but that doesn't apply now.

For me, since 2012 I have been buying HP molds for all my carry guns, so that I can make my own. I have Hollowpoint molds now ranging from a 70 grain 32 ACP MP up to a 45 ACP NOE.

For making your own you want an MP-360-640 or an MP 359-640 with the large pin. Or if those aren't available, NOE makes a number of 158-ish molds available with Al's RG HP system. E.g. 360-158-WFN-T4 2 Cavity RG2 PB Brass, 360-162-WC-AW3 2 Cavity RG2 PB, 360-163-SWC-AT1 2 Cavity RG2 PB.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3809.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	278300Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3801.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	278301Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kirl with axe 005.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	278302Attachment 278303
    Those in the GP 100 Picture are 44 Specials loaded with 432-640 MP boolits ~245 grain, those with the J-frame 38 are 158 grain MP 359-640s. In The next frame the 9mm and the 38 cartridge are both loaded with NOE 358-128 grain boolits, the NOE 45 HP is shown by itself and with a 22 SHORT stuck in the hollow point of the loaded round. The last of the photos is an MP mold for an HP.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    RCBS 38-150-SWC, lee 358-158-SWC would suffice.
    Right! The RCBS 38-150-swc was my first mould, but sadly no one offers bullets from it for sale!
    IT IS A FINE AND PLEASANT MADNESS !

Boolit Grand Master

NOE 360-160-WC PB
    Cast as solid or hollow point . Based on Lyman 358432 design but with improved front driving band .
    This bullet is extremely accurate , full wadcutter hits hard and 160 grain weight shoots to fixed sighted handguns sights .
    I was brought up reading Elmer Keith and loaded SWC boolits for decades all his weights...
    I'm sorry Elmer but this wadcutter has yours beat in the accuracy department at under 50 yards .

Check this boolit design out ... it's all I cast now .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Well, Ill throw one in. I recommend it a lot, like a broken record. The 158-155 Elco from NOE casts a 155 grain flat point or a 150 grain hollowpoint. It was designed for the 9mm and short throats, but I have also been using it in 38 Special. No reason it cant be used in 357 as long as you don't try to send it at warp speeds down a rifle barrel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12