Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: 10-7 and G43

10-7 and G43

Soooo I went to the local gun getting emporium to pick up a check for a gun they had sold for me. Mrs. Thumbcocker was along for the ride. Sitting in the display case was a MINT model 10-7 pinned barrel with rubber grips. It had one small spot about the size of the white part of a match head where there was bare shiny metal on the right side of the top strap. Otherwise it was perfect. It had obviously been shot very little. So I said hmmm. Mrs. Thumbcocker had made out like a bandit on Valentines day so I had the moral high ground.

While waiting for one of the gun mongers to become available I glanced into another case where they had Glocks under the blue line program. There was a G43 with night sights. Turns out my job qualifies me for the blue line program. I am not a Glock fan. I understand why they are so popular but I don't care for them. I am a revolver person through and through (1911's are honorary revolvers in my world). But I looked at the little sucker. Decent ergonomics. I also recalled the amount of range brass stashed at home, the 6 cavity molds suitable for 9mm, the number of small pistol primers in inventory, the amount of lead used for 9mm vs .44 boolits, the relative humidity and the price of tea in China. Also how little it would concern me if a soul less hunk of plastic met with some mishap as opposed to a classy revolver. I said hmmm again.

Both guns were suitably fondled and ogled. Gun monger turns down my generous offer of 3000 primers for both guns. Hmm. Then they tag teamed me. Both the gun monger and Mrs. Thumbcocker said "Why don't you just get both?" Can you say enablers?. The model 10 was a no brainer. I could not abandon it to a possible fate of falling into the hands of a heathen. The G43 welllll Stuck in a pocket to walk around the farm, not caring about lost brass, night sights, hmmmm. Ok.

Went in yesterday to pick them up. Took various .38 and 9mm boolit loads. Repaired to the indoor range of the emporium. The model 10 shoots lights out accurate. Best load Lee 125 rnfp over 4.0 of promo. Note: this load has shot to sights in 3 different model 10's. 158 grain boolits shot 3" or so high. Mrs. Thumbcocker was smitten and proceeded to shoot good groups. The lighting at the 25 yard target is pretty poor but at 15 yard double action the model 10 shot like it had eyes. I have confidence it will do well at 25 under open sky.

The G43. Horrible trigger pull. Eats anything. Two failures to chamber Lee 105 swcs due to seating depth issues. Otherwise fed them well. Lee 124 grain tc over 5.0 of power pistol shot 1/2 dollar size groups in the bull at 7 yards. ( @#$!% trigger). Pretty good but high at 15 yards. God only knows at 25 (!@#$% trigger). Mrs. Thumbcocker had no issues with the recoil but had lots to say about the trigger. (she had been shooting the model 10 single action and was thoroughly spoiled). Checked bore after 75-100 rounds of various boolit loads. Spotless. (gotta love Ben's red).

Went to settle up on range time. Asked clerk what happens if you shoot lead through a Glock. Then produced the G43 and let him examine barrel. Chortled all the way out the door. Note: Chortling can become a habit. Mrs. Thumbcocker has picked up on the fact that I deliberately walk past displays of factory ammo just to chortle. It is bordering on becoming a vice.

So there you have it. Be very careful when you enter your local emporium with cash on the books.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

In case you didn't know it yet; you have lost the 10-7 to your better half. I made the mistake of letting mine shoot my new to me m67 right after I got it.......

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I love a happy ending to a story! Congrats on your new purchases, your wife sounds like a keeper!

Boolit Grand Master
    Nite sites work well for the occasional possum in the cat food. Just saying.

I don't like the trigger on most striker fired handguns, they remind me of a Very pistol. That said, a Glock can digest just about anything and if I were to buy one of the plastic pistols, that would be the one.

Robert

Banned
    That .....IS AN OUTSTANDING OUTCOME !!

I would not have been able to leave the S&W 10-7 there unless it was just priced beyond reason.

As near as I can tell, the G43 is a winner. I don't own one but I know plenty of folks that do have one. The consensus is, Glock should have made that gun 20 years ago. I recently posed a question on this forum about the G43 and the replies were favorable.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-43-durability

Sometimes opportunity knocks, the stars just align and you have to act. I don't think you will ever regret buying both.

Boolit Master

Look on the bright side you still have the Glock..............
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Allegedly the Lee 105gn SWC mold should work for both .38 Special and 9mm as well. Excellent find out there! I've yet to try out a Glock but I'm loving my Model 10-5!

Boolit Grand Master

My 43X has become my daily CCW. It has become my perfect CCW. I’ve gone through several over the years from most major manufacturers. This one just seems right and don’t plan on parting with it anytime soon. My two holsters are a cross breed super tuck leather/kydex and a Dillon Rosen designed pancake. Both have been perfect holsters for me. The Dillon/Rosen gets the most use this time of year

The model 10 will be a nice one to borrow now and then from the wife.

Boolit Master

I carry my G43 as much as my S&W Airweight 637.

Can't decide which I like best.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting