Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Looking at first NLG mold and need some Education Please

Boolit Master

Looking at first NLG mold and need some Education Please

Looking at getting my first NLG mold. I was really interested in the active group buy on the Mihec 359 147/150 HiTek Heavy 9mm Competition bullet. What concerns me is it was decided on a rather large drop size. I understand everyone wanting this as a one mold does everything but would think most 9mm need a .357" finished size. What am I missing? Seems I would have to size possibly twice before PC and then again after PC.

I had really great luck with two Lee molds last summer when I began PC, shake & bake method. Boolits dropped at or just under size, I added PC and then ran through sizer. I really enjoyed this process and made 1k or more.

Boolit Master

If your camber will fit it at a larger size you may be good to go , I to prefer a little less of size on molds for powder coating , but I have been lucky in most of my pistols take them a little larger then others on here , I got a few Mihec molds that are not as large as others and I bought a NLG mold or 2 as they cast smaller then the lube groove offering as they were made with powder coating in mind .

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0636.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	277940

These are out of an arsenal mold. They measure .362 before sizing down to .358. This is one coat of powder coat. If your powder coat is cured properly you should have no problems sizing them to what you want. I would have no problem sizing them to .357.
    Last edited by slide; 02-18-2021 at 03:33 PM. Reason: more info
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

I have one NLG mold from Mihec and it drops right at .359. I then PC them with one coat, shake and bake method. Normally size them the next day, and my sized boolits measures .3575......the sizing is really no big effort as I normally size about 1000 at a time.
    You will NEVER look back once you have used an MP mold, go for it!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hermans View Post
    I have one NLG mold from Mihec and it drops right at .359. I then PC them with one coat, shake and bake method. Normally size them the next day, and my sized boolits measures .3575......the sizing is really no big effort as I normally size about 1000 at a time.
    You will NEVER look back once you have used an MP mold, go for it!
    Thanks hermans! I have several MP molds just looking for my first NLG mold as I started PC last Spring without much problems. I'm still experimenting a bit but believe for the amount of pistol rounds I shoot I enjoy the rewards. Do you have to size twice or can you get away with .003"+ in one pass? I think I stumbled on to something yesterday but need to confirm my process & equipment today. thanks!

Vendor Sponsor

If your pc is cured correctly and your sizing die smooth inside sizing down .003 to .004 in 1 pass should not be an issue at all
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Quote Originally Posted by DeadWoodDan View Post
    Thanks hermans! I have several MP molds just looking for my first NLG mold as I started PC last Spring without much problems. I'm still experimenting a bit but believe for the amount of pistol rounds I shoot I enjoy the rewards. Do you have to size twice or can you get away with .003"+ in one pass? I think I stumbled on to something yesterday but need to confirm my process & equipment today. thanks!
    As Smoke said, only one pass through the sizer die, without much effort.