Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Pedersoli Sharps Lever Spring

Boolit Mold

Pedersoli Sharps Lever Spring

Hello to all. I have a Pedersoli sharps and I love the gun I just can't stand how the lever feels. I have cleaned and lubed it but it still feels extremely stiff and just not smooth. I thought of trying to polish it but don't want to mess around and take to much or not have a good lock up. Anyone ever smooth this out on there pedersoli?

Boolit Master

There is often a bit of stiffness when I crank mine down. I guess you could all it hesitation.
    But after that very tiny hitch,
    Smooth as glass.
    But then mine is 25yrs old.
    Just keep working it and it will smooth up over time.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master

How many rounds does the rifle have thru it. In time it may smooth out some from use. Keep it well oiled or a light grease and see if that helps.Open and close it 10-15 times a night for a couple weeks and see what that does to help smooth it up.

A lot of the old guns smoothness came from use and the parts wearing together over time.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks, I have not really kept track of round count but it has to be over 1k rounds down range. The rifle is 4 years old. Maybe it will smooth out at some point.

Boolit Master
    My Pedersoli sharps lever retention spring is way too stiff, too. The lever is like a mousetrap when I start to close it.

The spring for the Pedersoli Berdan linen cartridge model is much less heavy, but holds the lever of that model up just fine. You might call the lady at VTI Gun Parts and see if that spring might fit.

Alternately (and what I’ve done) is to leave the spring screw loose 1/2-3/4 of a turn or so. The spring still holds the lever up tight, and it snaps open, but at least the lever is less of a mousetrap.

Boolit Mold
    Yeah, it has a hard snap to it. I let my friends shoot it and they let it snap back and I cringe and grit my teeth. Its an elegant looking rifle, just wish I could get the lever to feel the same.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201227_154557.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	277901

Sent from my LM-X410PM using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Thats a very nice rifle. Is that a MVA scope?

You might try a thin washer or shim under the spring to lesson torque if the action dosnt smooth up. This is reversible if you dont like it. Thinning the spring would also work but if you go to far then it requires a new spring. Working slow and easy with a small fine file thinning it but you need to check it often.

Boolit Mold
    Yeah, thats an idea also. I might try some buffing compound and see if it at least gets smoother and will look into a washer. No its not a mva. It the hilux long malcomb scope.

Boolit Grand Master

Okay I was curious.
    A polish on the working surfaces might do the trick. Look at my knife sharpening post in our town for ideas. A piece of thin brass or aluminum flat with a couple layers of paper and the compound worked into it would make a nice fine polishing stick to do this.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks. Ill look that up and sounds like a plan for a rainy day. Yeah the mva scope was out of price range at the time, buying a house and all. So I got the hi-lux. People talk bad about the mounts and everything and they could not be more correct. I have had some issues. I have canned all the original screws and tapped the mounts and used some hardened screws. After I did that and did some odds and ends to the mounts, its a great setup. The tube glass is clear and great.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    A good quality gun will be tight when it is new, so parts wear in not out. Some polishing may help, but don’t go too far.

Have you put some grease on the contact points? A beer can shim or two will lighten up the tension.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Mold
    Yes I have put some good quality synthetic grease on the contact points

Boolit Master

I put a thin cardboard shim under mine, works like a charm.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    Have a Pedersoli sharps 1874 infantry rifle. Can best describe the lever as a mouse trap spring. Have shot it so I just move the hammer to half cock, move the lever slowly then reload and take my time with the lever on the closing cycle. Funny thing is that my Peabody carbine which is probably roughly 150 years old has the same snap to the lever when closing. And a buddy who was into BPCR shooting had an even dozen sharps mostly by Pedersoli, C.Sharps and the older Farmingdale sharps all showed the same snap when closing. Frank

Boolit Master
    The thin washer is an idea, however make it out of leather. This is an old saa trick.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Master
    That same thread regarding the lever spring must making the rounds of various forums lately. My Pedersoli Sharps does the same timg. Go to a shoe maker and get enough leather to cover the tang where the lever keeps hitting.And use the old style leather boot laces to tie everything together. And does not look out of place for a period arm. This way you'll have sort of a safety in place. Frank