Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Winchester Model 71

Boolit Master

Winchester Model 71

Would like to shoot cast with my model 71. Just ordered an Accurate mold. Anybody have some suggestions for a good accurate load? Something lite to moderate, would like to keep my shoulder intact. Any help would be appreciated.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

Thanks pietro, that will give me a good start.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alstep View Post
    Thanks pietro, that will give me a good start.
    I have a Browning 71 ---------225 grain cast gas check boolit + 56 grains winchester 760 ....chrono read 2340FPS @ 22 feet from the muzzle.

Boolit Grand Master
    For funsies, size a Lyman 358-429 to .350 and load it over 13 grains of Red Dot or 16 grains of 2400. This a very mild, but accurate load whose only short-coming is that it will hit very low. Move the slide all the way to the top and you should be OK at 50 yards.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3-8-13 026.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	278024

I use the Accurate 35-220B over the same charge of WW-760 for Deer hunting. I also have used the Hornady bullets in the picture below, but full on charges of 4350 thump pretty good in each direction.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0475.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	278025
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

“Something to keep my shoulder intact”. I smile at this. A co worker told myself and another coworker to look for .348 ammo at a big gun show. I found dies, brass and hornandy bullets. The other found factory ammo that was discontinued for a pricey sum. I remember loading his ammo at a reduce velocity with IMR 4895. Even so, my shoulder had a warm mushy feel after sighting it in.

He gave the rifle back to his brother, including dies, cases and now discontinued hornandy bullets. I still have the Lyman 350477 bullet and sizer. I didn’t figure out how to seat the bullet with no crimping groove.

I never liked the Model 71 stock. Every time I shot one my thumb would bend my nose over. I have big hands and a big nose so everyone probably wouldn't have that trouble. Worst one I ever shot was Bud Liebing's .450 Alaskan. That was hard on my beak.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim22 View Post
    I never liked the Model 71 stock. Every time I shot one my thumb would bend my nose over. I have big hands and a big nose so everyone probably wouldn't have that trouble. Worst one I ever shot was Bud Liebing's .450 Alaskan. That was hard on my beak.
    stock doesnt bug me but the curved lever bashes my knuckles - even when levering it the shape is all wrong - shoulda had a straight outer profile instead of the steep curve - something a bit like a marlin big loop.

Boolit Buddy
    The only problem with the 71 is that the stock is too short. It will bash your knuckles, and also cause the thumb/nose problem. If you add 1 and 1/2'' to the butt, the problems go away.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    The only problem with the 71 is that the stock is too short. It will bash your knuckles, and also cause the thumb/nose problem. If you add 1 and 1/2'' to the butt, the problems go away.
    done that with a kick pad, its longer pull than all my other guns, still whacks me knuckles - got a bunch of other straight lever guns (including an 1886 x 45/70) that dont

- If that 71 wernt so durn purty I woulda already attacked it with an oxy torch and reshaped the front of that lever

Dunno how those boys up in Alaska shoot these with gloves on ? I spose if a big ol bear is headed your way you'd git it done.

Boolit Master
    There must be something wrong with me or my 71 as I've never found the recoil to be excessive or objectionable.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
    There must be something wrong with me or my 71 as I've never found the recoil to be excessive or objectionable.
    I never found recoil excessive or objectionable - just the shape of that lever gets me - the Browning is still stiff to crank too - they put a lot of energy to make the outside nice but the innards are rough enough.

Boolit Master

Thanks to everyone here for your responses & pm's, I've got everything I need to feed my 71. Now I just have to get casting & loading.