Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grandma was a squirrel hunter

Sportsman Club I used to belong to had a Groundhog feed every summer open to public. They had it cooked several different ways. Members would shoot and clean the GHogs and stash in freezer at club house. Parboiled and BBqed was my favorite. For home we would only take the young ones. Tradition ended when the flash flood known as the Flood of Tears wiped out the club.

I'd love to try 'possum and 'coon. I tried to dress out a 'chuck once. It was crawling with these itty bitty things that thought I was their next full time ride. I haven't been able to bring myself to get that close to one again. Just close enough with a stick or shovel to put it back down the tunnel. But why wouldn't 'chuck be good (if it isn't crawling). It eats the same stuff that a steer eats.

Boolit Master

BRAISED GROUNDHOG IN SPICED RED WINE SAUCE

INGREDIENTS
    1/2 lb. bacon; finely chopped
    1 5-lb groundhog, cut into serving pieces; or use 2 or 3 3-lb groundhogs, cut into serving pieces
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. black pepper
    1/2 c. flour
    1/2 c. wild onion, finely chopped
    1/2 tsp. garlic, finely chopped
    1 c. dry red wine
    1 c. chicken stock
    2 tbs. brandy
    1 tsp. red currant jelly
    1 bay leaf
    1/4 tsp. dried rosemary
    1/4 tsp. dried thyme.

DIRECTIONS
    In a heavy flame-proof 5-quart casserole, cook the bacon over moderate heat until crisp. Drain and set the casserole aside.

Wash the groundhog quickly under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle the pieces with salt and pepper and then dip them in the flour, shaking off any excess flour. Heat the casserole until the fat sputters.

Add the floured groundhog pieces a few at a time and brown them evenly on all sides. As they are done, transfer the groundhog pieces to a plate. Pour off all but two tablespoons of fat from the casserole and in it cook the. onions and the garlic, stirring frequently for 6 or 7 minutes. Pour in wine and chicken stock and bring to a boil over high heat, scraping off any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the casserole. Stir in the brandy, currant jelly, bay leaf, rosemary and thyme. Return the pieces of groundhog to the casserole, add the drained bacon, cover the casserole tightly and simmer over low heat for two hours or until the meat is tender but not falling apart. Pick out the bay leaf and taste for seasoning. The dish should be quite peppery.

Serve the groundhog directly from the casserole.

If ya can’t get tender young groundhog locally, substitute pork loin or beef roast.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12