RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: removing sizing ring from LEE 45 ACP factory crimp die

Boolit Buddy

removing sizing ring from LEE 45 ACP factory crimp die

Is it an okay thing to do?

I need a taper die so I can do two-operation seat and crimp. I got this but it turns out its sizing down the case and crushing the boolit (confirmed with pulling).

I'm wondering if I can push that sizing ring out and use it to just do the crimp (remove the flare)

EDIT: too late did it..I think I'm still going to get a taper die so I can try both
    Last edited by guy_with_boolits; 02-16-2021 at 07:26 PM.

Boolit Master
    The crimp ring on my Lee FDC is a taper crimp. The .45acp is a bit shorter than the one in the 9mm die.

And, yes, you can adjust the die to do more or less taper.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by guy_with_boolits View Post
    Is it an okay thing to do?

I need a taper die so I can do two-operation seat and crimp. I got this but it turns out its sizing down the case and crushing the boolit (confirmed with pulling).

I'm wondering if I can push that sizing ring out and use it to just do the crimp (remove the flare)

EDIT: too late did it..I think I'm still going to get a taper die so I can try both
    I did this with a Lee .44 SPL die so I can load .432" bullets for my Bull Dog, the crimp worked ok.

Boolit Buddy
    I have never removed the rings but I have used diamond paste to hone those out to a larger size, same with lee sizing dies. Dowel in a drill with some cotton or felt and diamond paste. I think i had to do that to most of my dies I think you kind of have to if your shooting lead.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    I did this with a Lee .44 SPL die so I can load .432" bullets for my Bull Dog, the crimp worked ok.
    I did the exact same thing for 44 spl/mag.

guy,
    when I gently tapped out the carbide ring, it cracked and busted. I've heard of others being able to remove the ring without harm, then were able to re-install it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, the post crimping sizing ring can be punched out. I put the one I had in a padded vise and removed adjusting screw and seating stem. I then just used a long pin punch and down from the top I was able to get to the upper, inside edge of the ring and punched it out...
    My Anchor is holding fast!