Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Big bores and LVPO's

A.K.A. Bullshop Jr. SierraHunter's Avatar

Big bores and LPVO’s

Somewhat recently, I started the hunt for a low power rifle scope for a 375 Ruger guide gun I had bought. Per usual, if it's something I have to research a little bit, I start to obsess over the topic, and start studying and trying to learn everything I can about the subject.

This was the case when I started hunting for a scope for the 375. Up here in Alaska, low power scopes are pretty common, but they are usually something like a 2-7 variable. I knew I wanted to go with a scope with a true 1 power. This is actually something I learned about when I use to shoot USPSA and 3 gun, was the advantage of a true 1 power scope and being able to shoot on the move, or moving targets much easier with both eyes open. For me, as soon as you add any kind of magnification, I start to see blurry and double vision if I try to keep both eyes open. This is actually why I don't like the scout rifle concept, because I see no reason to mount the scope forward and throw off the balance of the rifle if I still have to close one eye to shoot.

So the hunt started for the perfect scope for the 375 which I had bought on gunbroker. And this is where I ran into my first problem with my research - There is almost nothing online about using Low Power Variable Optics on big bore rifle. The whole market for this type of scope seems to be dominated by the MSR market, and because of this most of these types of scopes have some kind of goofy reticule designed for "combat" shooting. In the sub 500 dollar range, I actually only found 2 scopes from well known manufactures that I felt had a suitable reticule for a hunting rifle, The Burris RT6, and the first generation Vortex Strike Eagle. Both of these scopes still have a BDC reticule designed for 223/5.56 but they don't have a bunch of other goofy stuff thats not needed, and the BDC could be figured out for whatever load you are using. The other scope I found in the price range, would be the Skinner optic which Andy designed for a hunting scope. I actually have one of these scopes on the way for testing.

One of the things about the LPVO type scopes, is that most of them have a illuminated reticule, and that leads to more issues. For one, from my personal experience, a simple, lit center dot is awesome for trying t quickly acquire close targets if you can see it. Most of the cheaper scopes either have the entire reticule lit, which leads to a lot of clutter and light pollution in low light situations, or the center dot is not lit well enough to be able to see it in bright day light.

I did a lot of reading, and finally settled on getting a Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 for the 375. MSRP on this scope was $899. This scope is a 1-6x24 built on a 30mm tube. It has low capped turrets, and a lit center dot. The reticle if just. standard crosshair, with 4 MOA hashmarks for windage and elevation. One of the selling points for me on this scope was the MASSIVE amount of adjustment. I believe it has 160 MOA of both windage and elevation adjustment. I mounted the scope to the Ruger Hawkeye with Warne rings, and with the bit of testing we have done so far, it is about a perfect set up. My hunting and trapping buddy Roy likes this set up so much that he decided he wants to ditch the 2-7 he has on his rifle and set it up with a LPVO, but he hasn't totally settled on which one yet because of price.

Now, I know the 375 isn't a true big bore, but, because of the lack of information out there, I've decided to start testing a few scopes and write some articles on the subject. Scopes will be tested on everything from 338 win mag, to 458 Lott.

For me, I bought the 375 Ruger as my main hunting rifle. I was hunting with a iron sighted rifle, but last season I passed up a shot in low light because I just couldn't see the sighted well enough to make a 220 yard shot right at dark. Unfortunately, that was the only shot I was presented with, an I didn't get to fill the freezer. Originally I was going to just throw a scope on the Model 700 458 Win Mag I was hunting with, but decided I really wanted a left handed rifle since It will be faster for me to run in hairy situations. I almost aways wrap my support arm through the sling for shots, and it takes a while to get the arm unwrapped, lean my head back out of the way and run the bolt with my right hand while trying to support the rifle with my left hand by the pistol grip. So I went with the left handed rifle. For caliber, I went with the 375 Ruger because I feel like the 338 win mag is just a bit light for big moose, and they don't offer the left handed models in a 416 Ruger.The 375 should still shoot flat enough to take up in the mountains for sheep, or the flats for caribou, but still hit hard enough if I have to face a angry bear. I went with the guide rifle model with the 20" barrel for ease of packing. I also found a new/old stock first generation rifle without the muzzle brake.

I'll be putting this rifle, and scope combo to the test this spring on a bear hunt. I'm really excited to get to know this rifle better. I must say though, after 20 years of shooting right handed bolt guns, it feels weird having to load the magazine with the left hand, but I guess I'll get used to it.
    Last edited by SierraHunter; 02-16-2021 at 09:31 PM.

Well, for whatever reason the photo of the rifle did not attach to the first post. Lets try this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	95D83709-033E-418D-AD20-FE8CDFDBBC17.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	277810

Boolit Master
    I'm not a hunter. I use a lot of low power scopes for target shooting out to 200yds. I see an advantage in high power scopes when shooting low recoil cartridges off hand. That advantage quickly goes away with harder recoiling rifles.

That is a very nice set up..... other the the bolt on the wrong side.

This is actually the only rifle I own with a scope. Up until last year when I passed up that shot I preferred iron sights, but I guess at 27 my eye sight must be starting to go, or perhaps im just realizing the advantages of a optic.

you might should try some scopes from Primary arms... i just ran across them recently, and they get rave reviews about quality. I'd be interested to see how PA would perform on a big bore.... I have a 375HH that is wearing a valdata, but I'd like to have a budget priced illumintated scope...

Boolit Master
    That rifle scope combo looks like a great choice for you . Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by elginrunner View Post
    you might should try some scopes from Primary arms... i just ran across them recently, and they get rave reviews about quality. I'd be interested to see how PA would perform on a big bore.... I have a 375HH that is wearing a valdata, but I'd like to have a budget priced illumintated scope...
    I sent Primary Arms a email awhile back asking about testing out their scopes on big bores and never heard back. Burris is sending me a RT6 to test out and I think it will be a great option and they are around 300 bucks street price. When I talked to Vortex, they actually recommended the strike Eagle for big bores but I just didn’t like the clutter in the reticule of the gen2 and couldn’t get my hands on a gen1. Skinner sights now has a scope, which I believe is made in the same factory as the strike Eagle and I have one of these on the way for testing as well. All three of these scopes have the same street price of right around 300 bucks. I would be curious to test out one of the primary arms scopes, but I think overall I wouldn’t be happy with their reticule designs for a hunting rifle.

SierraHunter. I have a 1-5X Leupold VX3 on my Ruger Guide Gun in .30-06. 5X is more than enough to shoot out to 300 yards on a live animal. I shot Long Range Silhouette with that gun out to 550 yards with the same scope. More than enough Magnification.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 02-17-2021 at 08:18 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Yep, I agree. About the furthest shot I’m comfortable making on game is 400 yards, and I can easily handle that with a 6x scope on a big animal like a moose, and the low power will be very practical for thick brush.

My scope came off a .416 Rigby Mauser Bolt Action Magazine Rifle. (Made by Rigby)

No problem with it or any other Leupold taking the recoil.

I didn't want any more scope on this gun because it would have provided no real advantage with extra magnification, and just been heavier to carry around. This is my Hunting Rifle and as such I would limit myself to less than 300 yards on Elk Sized animals and less on Smaller animals like CA Mule Deer which seldom break 150 lbs.

Sounds like you pretty much agree.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Yeah, that’s one thing about this Vortex, it is is pretty hefty. Almost 2 pounds actually. I would be ok with it not having the lighted reticule, but I do like the 30mm tube because of the extra field of view as well as adjustment.

Boolit Grand Master

I have had Leupold 1 3/4 X 4 scopes on my 375 H&H and 458 WM for years and they have given me trouble free service.Attachment 278012
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

When I got my 458 win mag, I put a older 3-9 redfield on it, and it busted it after just a few shots. I then put on a Williams receiver sight, but had trouble with it not staying adjusted, so I finally epoxied it in place once I picked a load. The factory wood stock finally broke on that rifle a few months ago, and it seems much easier to shoot with the new stock on it, but I’m not sure that it would help with the sight getting out of adjustment from recoil.

Boolit Buddy
    I also have a 375 Guide, but I'm running a Leupold VX6 1-6x FireDot. It's pretty much perfect.

I have a couple Primary Arms Chinesium scopes on range blasters. They're OK for what they are, but I think the 375 would kill them in pretty short order. But I get it...It's hard to swallow $1400 for a scope.

Boolit Grand Master

Daniel, look at the leupold VX3 1.5-5. Perfect for what you’re looking for. Or one of the VX-6 scopes as mentioned. Not a fan of the run and gun horseshoe or similar reticles on a hunting rifle.