WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shoveling snow; why so hard?

Boolit Grand Master

Around here the old farmers technique for snow removal is climb up get comfortable. Hit the glow plug button for 60 secs or so then start the tractor, adjust the heater. pull out of the barn and either the front end loader or blade. Youd be surprised how fast a 100+ horse diesel moves snow LOL

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by memtb View Post
    Do you put a small generator in a “Radio Flyer” wagon to power your electric snow blower during a power outage! Asking for a friend! memtb
    Ha, no, it just sits on the tailgate of my truck.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Around here the old farmers technique for snow removal is climb up get comfortable. Hit the glow plug button for 60 secs or so then start the tractor, adjust the heater. pull out of the barn and either the front end loader or blade. Youd be surprised how fast a 100+ horse diesel moves snow LOL
    That's my neighbor. Takes him longer to drive from his place to mine than it does to clear 300 yards of driveway.

He also brush-hogs my pasture for me. 10 acres with a 14 foot batwing mower takes him a little over two hours.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

hes "milking" it to make it look good LOL

When we moved snow here as kids we would use the front end loader and pile it up in one place building it up with new snow as they came. Eventually we had a Hill to sled down.

We would plow our drive and paths at home then who ever was first ( there were 4 or 5 of us boys local) there did the shut ins and older neighbors drives. Cant ever remember not being back home for lunch. The plus was these older were all country people and "Payment" was cakes cookies and pies.

Boolit Grand Master

It's not that hard ... I've never shoveled snow in my entire 71 years of life ... in fact I've never touched a snow shovel .
    You just have to know how to play your cards right . .. And I know how !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

gwpercle, having been born and raised 20 miles north of Baton Rouge, and leaving @ age 34, and moving to Wyoming 36 years ago.....I don’t mind a snow shovel at all. I’ll take the snow shovel over the crime of RedStick! I miss my family and the food, beyond that .....one of the best things I’ve ever done!

I only wish my kids/grandkids/great grandkids would leave, before I lose one of them to the criminal element! memtb
    Last edited by memtb; 02-17-2021 at 07:30 PM.
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    It's called we're all getting old ! Lol I just turned 52 , I know I can't shove it like I used to I'm strong but outa shape and a smoker to boot . I do a little patch and take a few minute break so some more take a break . My body tells me when to slow down but ya gotta listen to it .
    You’ll really like it in another 15-20 years.

Left my snow shovel in New Mexico when I moved back to the Gulf Coast.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

I had the opportunity to do a “Lot” of shoveling day before yesterday.....shoveling about 8 yards of cow manure (damp - heavy) from a trailer into our garden. I’ll take snow shoveling any day....snow doesn’t stink! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Master

My wife has it figured out.

"You are NOT John Wayne, and you're not 18 anymore!"
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    My wife has it figured out.

"You are NOT John Wayne, and you're not 18 anymore!"

Ain’t that the truth! memtb

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    I got allay'all beat! I live where we get very little snow and I don't own or have to look at a shovel!
    What about the 3 S rule?
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    I use my skid steer it is the best shovel ever.

Boolit Grand Master
    Tractor---cab??--heater??? What are those??? I could only wish I had a cab and heater on my tractor!! Too old a tractor I guess.

Heated/AC cab on a tractor is waaaaay nice! Heated cab on a Polaris Ranger is also pretty darn nice for hunting season and plowing snow.....Though, we suffer through summer with no AC! memtb

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Master
    I bought my first snowblower this fall. Happy to not shovel anymore. Has an electric start but starts right up with a pull or two. At 63 my heart seems fine. My lower back not so much.

Boolit Master

45 degrees here and the foot and a half of snow we had a couple of days ago is now gone.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Banned

So far I can still get by. I have to take a break a time or two but it gets done. I also have a Craftsman 24" snowblower, and when we get a deep snow I break it out and use it. It's still a bit of a work out but I get the walk and the parking spaces, then I get the 10' high steps in front of the house. After I have to sit down and drink a large glass of water and cool off.

I did have a stress test last year and the cardiologist said my heart is fine he didn't see any problems at all.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tankgunner59 View Post
    So far I can still get by. I have to take a break a time or two but it gets done. I also have a Craftsman 24" snowblower, and when we get a deep snow I break it out and use it. It's still a bit of a work out but I get the walk and the parking spaces, then I get the 10' high steps in front of the house. After I have to sit down and drink a large glass of water and cool off.

I did have a stress test last year and the cardiologist said my heart is fine he didn't see any problems at all.
    That's great news! I was a smoker for 25 years, and am about 80lbs overweight. Just had a physical done a few months ago and the doctor said my heart and lungs are incredibly healthy and all my numbers look perfect. She was not happy. Said she had a lecture on taking better care of myself all ready, then saw my numbers and said they were better than hers, and she's ten years younger and a vegan.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123