Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Grips for 1959 made Police Postive Special

Grips for 1959 made Police Postive Special

I really like the Pachmayr Gripper Grips. They fit my hand no matter what gun they are on.
    I purchased a mint 4" Colt Police Positive Special 38 and am shooting it a lot.
    The Colt factory grips leave something to be desired on this gun and Pachmayr doesn't make a gripper grip to fit that gun.
    Any suggestions to get close to the style of the Gripper grips?
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

If you want them to be rubber....no good leads. If you would settle for wood you could try Altamont. I have purchased wooden grips made in the Philippines on e-bay. One bad experience, one good experience. I have seen rubber grips made overseas, notably in the Philippines and in Italy. I can't vouch for them, but have no experience with them.

DG

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    PM sent.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Did they make the grippers for the Diamondback? That is the same grip frame, isn't it?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Did they make the grippers for the Diamondback? That is the same grip frame, isn't it?
    Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    Maybe. But my understanding and their catalogs say that it is post 1971.
    Mine is 1959.
    Altamont has nothing.
    Still looking.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Buddy
    The D frame Colts got shorter in the mid sixties, basically adopted the agent short frame for everything and used extra wood to fill in the gaps for models that used the long grips.

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like 1966 was the year of the official change. Typical Colt you will find both models on either side of those years but 1959 means you need to find long frame grips.

Boolit Grand Master
    I bought Eagle grips for my Detective Special (1963) and found a pair of NOS Mustangs for my 1961 Police Positive, but I don't know of anyone who ever made Rubber grips for the old long frame Colt D-Frames. The Eagle grips are costly but feel great. AFAIK, right now the only modern grip options for the older Colt snubbies are Eagle or That Thai outfit on Ebay. I have purchased 2 sets of grips from Eagle, they are a Special order item and seem to take about 6 weeks to be made.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3829 Police Positive.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	277786Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3819 (2).jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	277787
    Last edited by rintinglen; 02-16-2021 at 11:52 AM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    I bought Eagle grips for my Detective Special (1963) and found a pair of NOS Mustangs for my 1961 Police Positive, but I don't know of anyone who ever made Rubber grips for the old long frame Colt D-Frames. The Eagle grips are costly but feel great. AFAIK, right now the only modern grip options for the older Colt snubbies are Eagle or That Thai outfit on Ebay. I have purchased 2 sets of grips from Eagle, they are a Special order item and seem to take about 6 weeks to be made.
    Holy moly! $125 for grips from Eagle. You are right....costly is the word!
    I am trending towards a Tyler T grip at this point.
    What is the "Thai Outfit" you speak of on EBay?

Boolit Grand Master
    Do a search on EBAY for Colt Police Positive Grips and you'll find them. I have bought several pairs from them over the years, mostly for S&W's but also for my Colt official Police. There prices are reasonable but the fit is sometimes not the best and may require a bit of attention.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	277800Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3754.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	277801Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3753.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	277802Click image for larger version. 

Name:	052.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	277803
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have an old pair of Sile grips that I got in a box of stuff. They were New old stock and I did try them on my Police positive. They cover the back strap, and I don't like the feel, but I can send you some pic's if you pm me an email address. If you can use 'em, 25$ would make them yours.

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    I have an old pair of Sile grips that I got in a box of stuff. They were New old stock and I did try them on my Police positive. They cover the back strap, and I don't like the feel, but I can send you some pic's if you pm me an email address. If you can use 'em, 25$ would make them yours.
    PM sent - please clear out your message box. It is full. Can't send a message.
    Last edited by FISH4BUGS; 02-18-2021 at 02:33 PM.