RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: To our Northern Members

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the invite GhostHawk! I will send a PM next time before we leave, maybe I can bring a few Boolits to do some trading, or even some of the harder stuff! Stay warm sir.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    You guys really did get the shock treatment!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Pro tip, if your feet are cold, wiggle your toes. It really helps.

Seattle area's been rather cold the last few days, but not too cold. We're used to that, really. Just more used to "liquid sunshine" than the solid variant.

I have multiple gallons of methanol about for cooking, coleman fuel, about 5 cubic feet of fire starter I was given (Local mad scientist gent got badly injured and won't be camping any more, I will so I got those to share with folks...) And I'm pretty fair at various field expedient gear. Now if my dang knees weren't toast and I could walk easier, mumble.

If someone wants tips on how to fake a stove or whatever, just ask or post a thread, there is a LOT of helpful brainpower & experience on this site, and you can't help out here if you turn blue... Stay warm

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35A07C12-F4BE-48E6-A2E5-6FB0BE732221.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	277834 Sorry, hard to beat this.....
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by 10-x View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35A07C12-F4BE-48E6-A2E5-6FB0BE732221.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	277834 Sorry, hard to beat this.....
    You're just rubbing it in.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

We’ve had a hell of a lot more 70 degree days in February than we have had zero degree days in February, 10-x.
    At least in my six decades in North Texas!

Boolit Grand Master
    At the very least, this prolonged cold snap should mean fewer bugs next summer.

Robert

Banned
    Well here is a tip from a hardened northerner. I was living with some other young fellas when college aged. We had a wood burner that heated the whole house. The kitchen bathroom had a gas heater from a trailer we tore apart but that was the part of the house heated. -20° F IN my bedroom...had a broken window and snow on the floor. Anyway, here is the tip. Asphalt burns. As in "the road".
    We had access to all the downed wood on a big farm about a half hour drive away. For two years we loaded up with a couple of cords of wood and our home made double stacked barrel stove sufficed for heat. The third year the guy who did almost all of the work said "If nobody helps me this fall, I ain't getting any wood. He was ignored and we indeed didn't have any wood to burn. So:
    The first to go was the furniture...then the woodwork, then (here is the great tip) There was a road work spot in front of our house that got closed down for the winter. So we took axes and picks and helped ourselves to the asphalt. It burned well but lots of creosote and for every shovel of asphalt there was 3/4 shovel of sand to clear after it burned. You just don't care when it is that cold in the house. You WILL burn everything.

Boolit Master

From Va. where it gets cold, lived in mountains several years, really cold there. Only thing I miss is good hunting in the winter. Since “ arthur” is in most my joints down here in Fl. is way better, can deal with hot humid any day. Back when I traveled for work was in Chicago one winter, -60 with wind chill, but that was about 35 years ago , had enough “ anti freeze” in blood, lol.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    At the very least, this prolonged cold snap should mean fewer bugs next summer.

Robert
    I wish this were true. Everyone always talks about the mosquitoes on MN. They are bad, but Florida has it worse. What MN does have is horse flies like nowhere else in the country that I have ever been. If you get up north a little ways, the Nemadji state forest is particularly bad, I swear you could just about be carried away by how many horse flies there are there.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Come get your -2degree temperature and blowing white stuff. We're not built for it, we don't want it. Have a nice day!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    you got by easy
    -29° here yesterday evening
    afternoon high of 2°
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy
    I hope that you southern guys and gals like your Michigan sampler pack.

Boolit Master
    You might be the son of a redneck if:----Years ago my oldest son reached an age wherein he decided that home house rules were too constricting, so, in company with one of his life-long friends he moved out. They rented about a 3200 square foot, 2 level house on the side of a mountain, heated with an oil furnace (underground tank). They filled the oil tank ($350.00) and a month later they ran out of oil (and it was not even real cold yet). On investigation, the tank was found to have a leak. This house had two very large fireplaces so they decided the obvious solution to their heating problem was to just heat the house with wood. Now neither of them had any real knowledge of wood heat and they scrounged up some semi-green maple, fir, cedar and whatever else they could get for free. Did not work out well. Their wood burned but did not produce much heat so, my boy improvised, using a trick we had used to straighten some car coil-springs, got a couple of lengths of metal pipe and stuck one end into the fireplace and stuck an electric hair dryer on the other end. Redneck blacksmith blower! Those 2 boys used that system all winter and they survived quite well, even to the point they cooked Christmas dinner for both families. One of the few (pre-divorce) adult Christmases I can honestly say I really enjoyed.
    R.D.M.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    Well here is a tip from a hardened northerner. I was living with some other young fellas when college aged. We had a wood burner that heated the whole house. The kitchen bathroom had a gas heater from a trailer we tore apart but that was the part of the house heated. -20° F IN my bedroom...had a broken window and snow on the floor. Anyway, here is the tip. Asphalt burns. As in "the road".
    We had access to all the downed wood on a big farm about a half hour drive away. For two years we loaded up with a couple of cords of wood and our home made double stacked barrel stove sufficed for heat. The third year the guy who did almost all of the work said "If nobody helps me this fall, I ain't getting any wood. He was ignored and we indeed didn't have any wood to burn. So:
    The first to go was the furniture...then the woodwork, then (here is the great tip) There was a road work spot in front of our house that got closed down for the winter. So we took axes and picks and helped ourselves to the asphalt. It burned well but lots of creosote and for every shovel of asphalt there was 3/4 shovel of sand to clear after it burned. You just don't care when it is that cold in the house. You WILL burn everything.
    yup were kind of spoiled. My dad said when he was growing up he would wake up to snow on his bedroom floor and his ma stored canned goods under his bed and he saw them actually freeze a couple times. Even up here few actually insulated a house when they built it. Just used a bigger wood stove.

Boolit Master

Well we have power ��this morning,and icy rain but at least it is @ 32°so our great winter may be over for now...
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Remember...you can always put extra clothes on....but when the heat comes...you can only take off so much before people will point and laugh.

I love the North East.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Let them laugh, I'll do what I have to do I can deal with the heat better than the cold.which is why I live in the south to start with.

Nothing wrong with the North East.

Simper-Fi
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

So cold ! Had to milk the cows across my arm and carry the milk in like cordwood.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    Well we have power ��this morning,and icy rain but at least it is @ 32°so our great winter may be over for now...
    yup warmed up finally here too. I was shoving the porch of in my sweatshirt at a balmy 15 above. Felt like summer.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    Remember...you can always put extra clothes on....but when the heat comes...you can only take off so much before people will point and laugh.

I love the North East.

redhawk
    totaly agree. As much as i hate below zero I hate about 90 even more. About all i do is walk 75 feet from my air conditioned house to my air conditioned loading room or air conditioned vehicle. Id rather poke sticks in my eye then go to the range when it humid and 90 degrees.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast