RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mystery Ingot Help

Boolit Buddy
    just outside Sulphur Springs in north east Texas
    Years ago I cast 125lb of soft lead ingots that looked just like yours.Pretty gold color,they came from a shower pan that someone gave me.At the time I had lots of ww & telphone cable lead.I dumped the pan out in the pasture,to deal with later. 20 years later I got around to it.In this east Texas suger sand it was covered up grass growing over it.It took a rip plow and a little time to find it.When melted and cast it was gold.My ingots were not fluxed good enought.I was in a hurry,the pot was not hot enought.They had alot of sand still mixed in 6 mo. later I remelted and did it right,It went from gold to just plane lead,wish I had saved one ingot to display.
    Yours may be like mine cast with a poor fluxing job.
    God is good all the time

Boolit Man
    I use RandyRats drop test. You can hear the difference between linotype, WW's and lead. If it was me I'd drop one, listen and use accordingly.
    MERRY CHRISTMAS

Boolit Buddy
    If you can melt them down, cast a couple of bullets, send one or two to me, and I'll be happy to test for hardness with a Cabinetree tester.

Perhaps, that will at least give you a clue, other than that, I’m certainly clueless.

Richard
    Cat, the other white meat!!

Boolit Master
    Put a ball bearing between one of the ingots and another one of known hardness. Press them in a vise hard enough to get a good dent. Measure the two dents. The square of the diam. time the hardness of the known will equal the square of the diam. times the hardness of the unknown.
    They look like they had been spray painted to be gold bricks as props in a play.
    The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12