RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: knockoffs on Ebay

Boolit Master

knockoffs on Ebay

Could someone give me some tips to keep me from accidentally buying a cloned product that looks exactly like the original.
    I have read stories of red dot sights made cheaply that look exactly like an original rite down to any markings. I have a need for a pistol mounted dot sight and a store purchased sight is at the upper level of what i can afford. The Ebay stuff is still expensive but easier on my budget. But is the saving of 20 or 40$ enough to chance getting an inferior product.
    I understand. That if i buy from the manufacturer or some on line dealer like Optiks Planet. The probability of getting an original is 100%. I am thinking that i will just have to deal with the higher priced product to get the brand named product.

Boolit Master

All my red dot's i bought in person. Some items your better off doing that.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    I got this big ad from eBay saying they now guarantee authenticity of products.
    I know a dozen or more years ago I had problems getting genuine Schneider electric 4 way joysticks on eBay. the packages were identical but they were cheap Chinese knockoffs and had all kinds of problems with them.
    I guess bottom line on eBay is to buy from sellers that can be trusted and checking with them first about authenticity.
    a bunch of companies will come down real hard on anyone involved in selling knockoffs of their products. I know for me putting together the stuff I was repairing to save $40 on a $350 switch is nice but not worth it when peoples lives or well being could be involved with how the stuff works.

Boolit Buddy
    If the price is much lower than everyone else probably a knock off
    If the seller has limited feed back be cautious
    If the seller is in China may be a knock off

If you know what model scope (part # etc) then search the net for it. You can than price compare between reputable dealers.

Moderator Emeritus

I recently bought a Firefield Impact Reflex Red Dot Sight at Midway for $50...free shipping
    I haven't used it at the range yet, but I mounted it and I really like it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    found out early that "planet optics" (sp) rarely if ever has anything in stock (my experiences) and they get to hold on to your money until YOU do something.

again...my experiences.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I recently bought a Firefield Impact Reflex Red Dot Sight at Midway for $50...free shipping
    I haven't used it at the range yet, but I mounted it and I really like it.
    Maybe you got a good one. Reviews do not look very good.

As to the OP, For $20-40 I would not risk getting a knock-off. I have found my LGS will match or get very close to internet pricing on stuff like optics and guns. They cannot compete with online retailers on powder or primers as I buy those in bulk and so no worries about quality...t is all about price.
    Don Verna

This is not meant sarcastically or to criticize. You can always ask the seller any and all questions you want to know before buying. Then, if the product is not as represented you can return it. On e-bay you can leave or threaten to leave negative feedback, which most of them hate and will go to great lengths to avoid. People always seem shy about contacting sellers and asking for answers.

DG

Boolit Master

the best way to avoid knock offs on evil bay is to not shop evil bay.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

I value my 100% eBay feedback and any other reputable seller does too. That's the first think I look at before I buy.

Boolit Master

bosterr, I am glad there are some honest sellers like you on ebay but their are lots of "others" for lack of a better word and feedback can be bought. my wife bought something and it was nothing like the description and totally worthless, after requesting her money back and a return label she was told they dont do returns so she posted a bad review. they harassed her for a month to remove the review and then started offering her money to remove it, she has refused all their offers but I imagine there are lots that would take the money and sell out.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

If something is priced too good to be true, it most likely isn't good or true...….

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

Sometimes the packaging is substandard compared to OEM. I can spot Chinese cardboard a mile off.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Maybe you got a good one. Reviews do not look very good.

As to the OP, For $20-40 I would not risk getting a knock-off. I have found my LGS will match or get very close to internet pricing on stuff like optics and guns. They cannot compete with online retailers on powder or primers as I buy those in bulk and so no worries about quality...t is all about price.
    There are several models, the model I ordered didn't have a lot of reviews, but the few reviews that are on Midway and Amazon were all 5 star positive, except for one fella who dropped it and other who obviously doesn't understand what 1X power means. I suspect this is a newly released model and only time will tell if it has the same problems as older models?

https://www.artfulbullet.com/index.p...ot-sight.7205/

Also as I stated, I have only mounted it and turned it on to try out it's features. I haven't taken it to the range yet. So I hope it's a good one
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    I traded for a mid level Leupold scope several years ago. I was unaware of Chinese plegarized copies. I called Leupold, gave them the s/n and it was confirmed that I did have a true American made Leupold. There are subtle clues to identify fakes.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    the best way to avoid knock offs on evil bay is to not shop evil bay.
    BINGO. I have not visited that place for many years now.

A.K.A. Bullshop Jr. SierraHunter's Avatar
    I would personally avoid Optics planet. They mostly work third party, and don’t actually have the stuff in stock themselves. They actually work a lot like amazon, but don’t do a very good job usually confirming that their sellers actually have the product in stock, especially in these times.

A.K.A. Bullshop Jr. SierraHunter's Avatar
    I will tell you my personal experience with Red dots, mostly micro ones. Optics are a great example of you get what you pay for, and it’s even more prevalent in red dots, especially the micro ones. The cheaper ones do not shot up well in bright day light, especially if you have any trouble at all with red/green color blindness which a lot of people suffer from. I’ve had mid price range dots from big name, reputable manufacturers that I couldn’t even see the dot in the middle of the day.

I have found this to be true with scopes with illumination. You don’t start to see day light bright dots in a scope until you start to get close to that MSRP close to $1000. Reddit’s, that price for a useable one starts at in the $400 price range.

If there is something specific I am shopping for on eBay that had a good name brand, I then search the internet for that item and being counterfeit. Usually you can find some info on these items and what to look for. Some manufacturers also have info on their website about counterfeits.

I know I found this last month searching for Mitutyo digital calipers, lots of cheap and suspicious ones on eBay. Same thing a while back on Leupold scopes.