Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sub-Sonic 300 BO Mold

Boolit Buddy

Sub-Sonic 300 BO Mold

Sorry to start another thread on this guys, but when I search and check mold model numbers, none are currently produced. Not just "out of stock", but not in the listings.

What I'm looking for is a decent, subsonic bullet for a 300 BO pistol (10", 1:7 twist rate, pistol length gas system). Just general plinking and giggles with a can. Hollow point is not necessary as I won't be hunting with it.

I'm considering this one from NOE
    https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...10-247-fn-bo3/

This one from Arsenal
    https://arsenalmolds.com/products?product_id=190

Or one of these from Accurate
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=31-215E

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...bullet=31-240A

Any thoughts? Also open to any suggestion of current production molds. I recognize I'll have to wait and that's fine. I'm happy to wait on "backorder", I just don't want to get my hopes up on "Discontinued".

thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Long ago as the 300 BLK started to catch on there was a group buy on the NOE-247 grain style with the lube grooves, with or without the gas check. I waited for almost a year until it arrived and never looked back. What a great mold and bullet. Then I got an AR10 and was looking for a 200 grain bullet, the NOE-197 with the pointed tip arrived and it was a great style in the AR10 and also the BLK. With the backlog right now I suspect the wait is back but I’d say both worked great in my AR’s. I’d add that I shoot them sized and lubed conventionally and powder coated, both with and without checks. I got both molds in four cavities with two plain based and two checked cavities.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, Tonto

The challenge is I don't know if the 247g that NOE offers now is the same profile as before. Probably close enough.

I am amazed at the fact that molds are sold out everywhere. I don't recall it being this bad back in 2014-15, but maybe I wasn't watching the casting market as close.

Boolit Master
    A mad mate arranged a 300bo mould from accurate for me to use for us, it casts awesome and the testing done with it so far has been really good. I think it was 180 grain, same basic profile as the two you showed links for.

I'd like to recommend bevel base, they seem to be more forgiving with sizing, if any are over sized, it won't make a mess of the base and cause possible dags.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    A mad mate arranged a 300bo mould from accurate for me to use for us, it casts awesome and the testing done with it so far has been really good. I think it was 180 grain, same basic profile as the two you showed links for.

I'd like to recommend bevel base, they seem to be more forgiving with sizing, if any are over sized, it won't make a mess of the base and cause possible dags.
    Thanks. I agree on the bevel base. Just generally makes things nicer.

Are you feeding this in ARs? (not up on Australian rules, sorry). Looking at that .2" meplat, I'm wondering how it will do on feed ramps.

Boolit Master
    Sadly we have no fun semi-auto rifles for the regular shooters. They have been tested in bolt and pump action rifles so far, so i can't say how they go with an AR feed ramp. I believe one mate used a remington 7615 pump and got pretty good grouping, not as good as jacketed, but not bad for a subsonic load. The other was shot out of a 7.62 x 54 mosin nagant with a 1-10 twist at about 1,200fps.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, no bevel base, but I opted for this one:
    https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...4-5-cavity-pb/

Turns out it was designed for the 300 BO as a subsonic plinker. In fact, it is called the "300 BO Bullet Mold for Dummies"

I opted for the non-TL version. We'll see how it does.

NOE molds are great. I use a 199 grain (maybe 197?) spire point NOE Mold for my 300 BO. Great subsonic round. Highly recommend it.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

I use a RD style 170 PB in my pistol, ~850 fps. Could pump it up to 1100 or so. Also run it 1400 for sd and hogs. 2400 powder.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Have you considered Lee’s 230 grain mould? A lot less expensive, if you can find one today.

Greg, I have NOT seen the LEE mold you mention, but having gotten my first NOE mold today the LEE molds I do have are crude in comparison. But as you stated they don't cost as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Landshark9025 View Post

Turns out it was designed for the 300 BO as a subsonic plinker. In fact, it is called the "300 BO Bullet Mold for Dummies"

That’s the one I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darn it, Landshark... Now I have ANOTHER 30 caliber mold. I do get a new 300 BO upper in a few days... I got the 5 cavity one.
    I've got the 165 Fn mold that I plan on pushing in the 1600-1800 fps range. This one looks like it'll be in the 1000-1200 fps range.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Have you considered Lee’s 230 grain mould? A lot less expensive, if you can find one today.
    Hey Greg,

I had considered this and I was going to get it, but heard too many poor reviews of casting well undersized even with powder coat. Keyhole targets, etc. Combined with it being OOS, I figured to pass.

This will be my first NOE mold. I do have a few MP and one Arsenal.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron369 View Post
    That’s the one I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any insight to performance? I'll be shooting this out of a 1:7 barrel. Probably start around 10g of CFE BLK.

I see you went grooveless as well.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    Darn it, Landshark... Now I have ANOTHER 30 caliber mold. I do get a new 300 BO upper in a few days... I got the 5 cavity one.
    I've got the 165 Fn mold that I plan on pushing in the 1600-1800 fps range. This one looks like it'll be in the 1000-1200 fps range.
    What is your upper? And yeah.....I'm a bad influence.

What is your upper? And yeah.....I'm a bad influence.
    It is a Moriarti upper with a 16" barrel.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    It is a Moriarti upper with a 16" barrel.
    OK. Looks like they are all 1:7 or 1:8. Mine is a 1:7. I'll be using an approx 93/5/2 alloy that will be water dropped after coating. (Shake-Bake-Dump method). First loads will be with CFE BLK. Based on how low pressure it is compared to Lil Gun for the same velocity, I'm hoping it will be very quiet with the can.

OK. Looks like they are all 1:7 or 1:8. Mine is a 1:7. I'll be using an approx 93/5/2 alloy that will be water dropped after coating. (Shake-Bake-Dump method). First loads will be with CFE BLK. Based on how low pressure it is compared to Lil Gun for the same velocity, I'm hoping it will be very quiet with the can.
    I did looked at that in Quick Loads and it looks like it is going to be in the 20k psi range at around 1000fps... With a low burn rate. Seems like it'll be dirty. Looks like a pretty full case of CFE gives good velocity and clean burn.

What DOES look good for subsonic is HERCO or UNIQUE... 100% burn rate and about 40k psi for 1000 fps.
    Last edited by 44Blam; 02-19-2021 at 01:56 AM.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Buddy
    Interesting. CFE BLK seems to be next to AA 1680 in terms of burn rate and just a touch slower than Lil Gun and H110.

If you have Quick Loads, can you run Lil gun on a 10" 1:7 BBL just for curiosity?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast