Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 762x54r handloads in mn9130 help

Boolit Buddy

Surviving chemotherapy from a pro.

DMDRACER,

There's not much I'm good at, but I have a good understanding of surviving chemotherapy treatments. I've been through it twice, ten years apart, and know quite a few tricks for survival.

1. Try to keep eating wholesome food. Experiment to see what you can eat. Don't be shy about using anti-nausea medicine. EAT!!! During my first cancer I could only find two or three things I could eat. Of all things, I ate can after can of Campbells Clam chowder soup!!! Try mashed potatos barely warm, or even cool, with or without salt. On my second cancer (2004), I lived 2 months on Campbells Chicken and rice. It supplied my liquid and solid diet, although I could drink lemon gatoraide. Try the different gatoraides. Lots of electrolytes you need. Keep hydrated. If you can eat fatty foods, do it. You can take care of the colesterol later. It's weird, you would be surprised at what you can eat. I went through a couple week period where I could eat hard shell tacos with cheese.
    If you go to the hospital, don't even try to eat that slop. Have someone bring you food. If you can eat scrambled eggs, do so. scramble them dry (no oil) on a teflon skillet. Keep experimenting. Hot foods may nauseate you, try barely warm or cool. If you can keep it down, EAT!
    You probably won't be hungry but force yourself to eat.

2. You may have to limit your company. Well meaning people will want to visit with you for HOURS! I would have friends come by for a 2 hour visit when I was dead sick. I would have to go to bed for a day to recoup. I learned that after a 10 minute visit I could tell them I was going to have to go back to the bedroom to rest, since I was getting too tired. If it seems rude, you can always apologize later. You MUST REST!!! Keep telling yourself this.

I will certainly say some prayers for you, DMDRACER. If you need any info from me PM me and I will give you my cell phone no. May THE LORD bless you. Mack Lester

Boolit Buddy
    Mack
    pm sent
    thank you
    Dave

Spend a little extra money and buy RCBS dies. Since my Lee broke the decapping pin and no one in town had a replacement I bought the RCBS dies and have found that not only does the sizing die work for my Mosins, I now have 7, the seating dies never gets a bullet stuck in it. I was constently taking the Lee seating die apart since the bullets were sticking in it and not in the cases.

Nothing agains Lee. I use a lot of there products but in this case I am happier with the RCBS dies.

My prayers go out to you. My brother-in-lay and my brother are both going through colon cancer treatments and my brother has totally improved. Brother-in-law just had another operation last Saturday.

With God's help all of you will come through this.
    Go ahead and run. You will only die tired

Dave, first of all, my prayers go out to you! Second, I've been farting with Mosins for two or three years now (I'm the guy that wrote the "2¢, No Creep, Adjustable Mosin Trigger" piece.) I found I could make all the ones I've owned shoot provided they had a decently smooth bore. Sounds like you got one that's not overly large.
    I've fired quite alot of cast bullets from the Lee 312185, an old Ideal 311291, and a new production Lyman 314299. I cannot overstate the usefullness of the Lyman 314299. Mine drops bullets at .314" when WW's are used and it's been the berries for every Mosin and Enfield I've owned. The old Ideal mould has also has been good, but for some reason I tend to lean toward the 314299. Though it shot well, I haven't used the Lee quite as much as for some reason I have a hard time casting with Lee moulds. At any rate, 3" groups with any of these bullets come easily with 2" groups not uncommon. (All at 100 yds.)
    13.0 grs. of Red Dot is my hands down favorite load. For the longest time, I kept my Lyman #55 powder measure set up exclusively for this load and kept it full of Red Dot. With the 314299 bullet cast from either ACWW or WQWW it's a joy to shoot.

As an interesting side note, for the past few weeks, I've been working with my Swiss K-31 match rifle and C.E. Harris' "Subsonic Target Load". Judging from the "crack" when I fire this load, I don't think it's subsonic in my rifle. Anyhow, I was initially attracted to the load because it used a plain base bullet and only 7.0 grs. of Bullseye (1000 rds. per pound of powder!!!) I'm using a plain-base bullet out of an NEI 308145 mould. Due to lots of wind around here lately, I've shot this load mostly at 50 yds. where so far, my smallest group has been .630" and my largest .830". I fired it a couple of times today at 100 yds. where it group from 1.6" to 2.2".
    My point is that if you find a plain-base bullet mould, the above load makes for some accurate, inexpensive plinking and target shooting.

Good luck!
    35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    AZ thanks for the support and my prayers are with your family members... that ole "c" word is an enemy for us all.... keep the fight up.... we all will get thru it .

35, yep, thanks for the prayers...to all... it is appreciated

good job on the 2C's no creep , how'd you make that 2 cent sign ??? sure improved this one.
    I wish I had the skills to write storys like some of you do... oh well.

Seems like the 314299 is a lot of peoples favorite, I'm going to start out with a couple from the molds I mentioned above and just see what happens and just to play with this old girl and get familar with her a little, if results suck then I'll go to plan b...... 314299 !

good luck with your K31, sounds like the groups are good, no personel experience with one, is that "normal" for that type of firearm ? I have no clue
    I do have some bullseye... no red dot.

Thanks for the reply
    Dave

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    As an interesting side note, for the past few weeks, I've been working with my Swiss K-31 match rifle

Hope you don't mind me asking, what is a Swiss K-31 match rifle? I have 2 Swiss K31's but never heard of a match rifle.

Boolit Master

Lots of people put aperture front and rear sights on the K31, then modify the stock various ways to produce a rifle that shoots better for them. There is one gunsmith that rebarrels to .308 and restocks also.

Diopter sights:
    http://www.swissproductsllc.com/
    Radical transformations:
    http://www.lprgunsmith.com/K31_rifles.htm

CDD

Boolit Master

Thumbs up Dmdracer

Coworker went thru the surgery and chemo.

He has always counseled . . .

Don't let the chemo get ya down, especially toward the end of the treatments when it is doing the most good for you!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Man
    Dmdracer

To neck size my 7.62 x54r brass, I use a Lee Collet Die for 308 Winchester. I like the Lee collet dies because you don't have to lubricate the necks of the brass.

Sailman

Quote Originally Posted by jack19512 View Post
    Hope you don't mind me asking, what is a Swiss K-31 match rifle? I have 2 Swiss K31's but never heard of a match rifle.
    Sorry, I should've been more clear. The K-31 is "my" match rifle. I mounted a receiver sight (no, not the expensive St. Marie sight, but a Lyman 48.) and I bedded the rifle. Here she is:

When I stated "match rifle", I meant "my" match rifle. Didn't mean to insinuate I had some sort of special K-31.
    Regards,
    35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

In Remembrance

Thumbs up A word... please

dmdracer my new friend and comrade in chemo. Yes, I also wore the pump that buzzed when it dispensed meds for 2 days then it was removed when the count down numbers on the face of it reached near zero. My final treatment was 7/3/08, so I celebrated 2 things on the 4th. I`ve had my combo cat/pet scans and several blood work-ups since, all show no cancer remaining. I have to have yearly colonoscopies for the next 5 yrs for sure and probably the rest of my life if I`m to guess. I agree with other writers here that you must eat, even if the thought is repulsive. I lost 45 lbs. in the first 3 months of chemo simply because every thing tasted metallic to me. I`ve got 25 lbs back now and am slowly getting my strength and some stamina back. I am going to try moving my lazy boy sofa back today from it`s Christmas position, say a prayer for my back - PLEASE! Friends mean well for visiting or phone calling, either would exhaust me within 10 min. and it would be a day or better to come back from it. Any work I tried was even more exhausting and longer to recover. I know how rough it can be to see a friend or relative do the simple chores you always did for you, but let them help you for awhile. The Lord will not punish you for recovering from what you have been through. Do not force yourself to do chores and odd work jobs that you knew were a snap when you were more healthy, you will only set yourself back in the recovery stage and a feeling of worthlessness will set in. Rest, try to catch up reading a favorite book, mine turned out to be the family Bible, don`t turn into a couch potato watching soap operas. Take care my new friend and remember this site is pulling for you, so don`t be a stranger to let us know how things are going. Feel free to PM me if you wish to talk off-line about what is going on with you or treatment. Besides I`m getting some good info for my Mosin project now thru your request for info! Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Guys thanks again for the words of encouragement and recomendations / experiences with the Moison.

I have a "loaner set" of dies comeing from a friend, it is a 7.5mm x55 swiss collet with a 303 mandrel and a reg. 762x54 seater die to be adjusted some way, I'll know more later.

I did shoot this puppie yesterday....err.. should say Horse, yeah I did something wrong on my 1st shot "hold" and she "bit me" , 2nd shot I did better with the hold but was already tender so... just happens a friend was with me and he became the "shooter".

We were able to determine that .....we had no idea where them milsurp bullets were hitting @100.... yeah, it kicks ! seems this ammo has more grunt than the win wb I purchased and shot the first two times. I'm learning

we moved to 50 and figured out it was hitting about 14" to 18" to the right and around 20"high. Some ky. yardage adjustments and atleast we had an idea of whats going on.... I had no tools to drift the frt sights. I'll try to get to that later today. shot maybe 10 rds total.

The mag does not work, seems to be offcenter and no spring tension to push the rd up.
    I'll look at it more later and search for some ideas on that part.

My friend shot his 250... practice for coyotes, I played with my AR 15 Varm. and a Marlin lever 3030.
    The "shooter" shot all my firearms and had a great time....untill I gave him 3 rds. of reg store bought Rem 170gr 3030's, I told him these were "full power" factory and they would have more grunt.... well he brused his already sore shoulder.... said he was not expecting "that".... he thought the 3030 kicked more than the Moison...hmm.

I wish I had some cheese for the ride home !!! you know.... "whining"

Thanks all, I'll keep you all posted as I get more exp. with her if there is enough interest on the subject, maybe I can save someone some time and $$ thru my learning about this neat old rifle.

Robert.... pm sent. TY

Dave

dmdracer: A friend of ours just went thru what you're going through... She found the only thing she could keep down was sweet potato pie... My wife must have baked 300 for her before it was all through... But she's still around! Give it a try! What the heck -- if you're going to have to eat to keep up your strength, why not something that tastes good?

And I know about being weak... I just finished a two-month bout with full-fledged pneumonia. I'm getting my strength back, but I was astonished at how much more my three-year-old grandbaby could carry than I could...

Good luck with your Mosin! These are some fantastic old guns! http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/mosin-nagant/ and http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3 are a couple of good places to read up on them at...
    Are you an American? Or do you just live here?...

Boolit Buddy
    Hello again to all,

While searching for something, this post came up and I took the time to reread it.

It has been a year now and I thought I'd take a second and bring you up to date on the cancer thing.

That was a "experience" to go thru to say the least.... but I made it

As of 2 weeks ago, thru all the test, I have been classified as a survivor or cancer free

Praise be to God

I knew personally 6 people this past year that had cancer, only myself and one other are still alive today. 2 lived less than 4 months. Shocking statisics for me and makes one/me wonder how these things play out.

I sometimes feel a little guilty when I see my wifes best friend, her husband died quick and really went thru hell. She will probably lose her house in the next few months because of medical bills, etc. Sad, she is a sweetheart.

I am almost back 100 % now and I want to again thank all of you for the prayers, support and inspiration you all gave me this past year. I now need to find some income, oh well... I have started over before, I guess I can do it again

For those with family/friends that were going thru the cancer thing, I pray they all have whipped the **** out of it as I have, actually I did nothing ! you all know what I mean.

Btw... I have not done much with the old moison... but thats why I was searching today, I dug her out and off on the paper patch thing I've been reading about recently. wow, thats another story, so much info and all kinda greek to me. some of you are real serious about PP !

I did try to roll 10 today, 314299 lyman mold you all recommended, they are not perfect but....... ! I was going to load them up but found I have no brass right now, they are still loaded from a year ago stuff when I started this project !

I'll have to fix that problem in the next few days, hopefully it will warm up above the current 9 *.

You all take care
    Dave

Good to see ya around Dave. I have a Finn I got this summer and want to play with. I have a case of mil surplus but am waiting on some brass to load cast. I was researching what dies to use and found this.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Geeze, all I ever used in a MN was the Harris design boolit out of a Lee mold (C312-155-2r?). It shot just fine, but I think that most guys go for heavier boolits in that caliber. I've only used Lee dies & had no problems. I've only gone up to around 1800fps.

My local shop had primed Winchester brand brass for $0.50 each, but he's out now. I've managed to take some of the brass Berdan cases & convert them to Boxer primers, but you need someone with a lathe that can hold .0005" tolerance to make that little trick work. If you can find the boxer brass for sale, you're better off just buying that.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master
    Thank you for checking back in Dave!

And better yet ........ with good news!!!!!

We will pray that things just keep getting BETTER AND BETTER for you and now you can roll up your sleeves and kick that Mosin around a good bit!!

Three 44s

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I bought a M38 because I liked the carbine length . The groove of it is .313" and the throat is just a hair over .314" cast loads group better than surplus but with the counterbored muzzle I can't get a reading on the crown of it .

Fortunately , I found a 91/59 that has the same dimensions for the bore and throat and it has a good muzzle . Between these two carbinesI've fired the same box of S&B brass fifteen times with nothing more than annealing the necks every five loads .

I use LEE loading dies for this particular cartridge and set the sizer using fired cases that would not fit into either rifle . Moving the sizer down a little at a time untill the case fit the rifle seems to have helped case life though a collet or neck die might be a better way to do the job .

It appears the 91/59 shoots much better than the M38 so I think I'll use that one from now on and maybe peddle the 38 to a collector . I've got three different makers of the 311291 and a 314299 that might be just right for it . So far the LEE version of the 311291 lubed with LBT using 22.9 grains of Reloder seven groups ok . I'm going to try some loads without gas check using Unique since one of my molds gives me fits getting a gas check on . I'm sure something will work out of all of this , who knows I might learn something too .

Jack

Boolit Buddy

Mosins

I to love Mosin Nagants,I have about 60 or them in different configurations from m44's to m28's and everything in between.
    I pray and feel for you and the Chemo POISIN.For the last year and several months My Wife has gone through 3 surgeries 28 straight days of Radiation treatments and is on her 2nd round of Chemo.I agree with you on the Poisin that they are putting in you.It is pure Hell.I have been married to my Wife for almost 28 years.Last night we were Laying in bed and we discussed alot of things one of which was tough.That was the question of is this really worth the Pain and agony that she has been put through.I reminded her of our awesome Grandson and how we love this little guy and that is something that might work for you.You have my Prayers and sympathy.

If you have anymore questions or just need someone to talk to me and my Wife are all ears and have gained some knowledge the hard way.We are a PM away.
    Also we learned about Marijuana.It is the best anti nausia and apettite medicine in the world.I'm not advocating the use of drugs but we tried everything including Marinal which is Pharmicutical Marijuana.I didnt work and after the advise from her OBGYN Doctor we tried the Marijuana.He actually told us he got it for His own Mother who was going through Chemo treatments for Cancer.I was amazed how well it worked.Might give it a try if all else fails.
    If you want to learn more about Mosin Nagant go to www.gunboards.com.
    Godbless. Mike
    Last edited by milsurp mike; 01-17-2010 at 02:59 PM.
    If I tell you a Rooster can pull a plow You better hook him up

Boolit Master

7.62x54R Cast Bullit Load

I have been using the 185 gn Lee .311 with gas check and tumble lube, WLR primers, and 27 grains of Accurate 5744. I have been using whatever brass I can come up with but have been happy with the Priv Partisan brass both new and used. Winchester Metric brass is good too but expensive and hard to find. I also use RCBS full length dies and the Lee crimping die.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast