RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Total newbie with most likely a stupid question

Boolit Mold

Total newbie with most likely a stupid question

Hi as the headline states im a total newbie when it comes to reloading of any kind and i have chosen to start with shotgun reloading i do have the lyman shotshell reloading hand book 5th edition for my source of load data and information and such but have a question which isnt covered in it or i havent found it yet . But my question is are shot load sizes interchangeable like say you find load data for the hulls primers and powder you have but its for 1 1\8 oz of #8 shot could you change the shot size to 00 buck if you if you came as close to the same shot weight without any harm i hope i dont come off as stupid for asking this question but with the supply shortage hopeing to be able to load buckshot useing what i have available but want to ask more knowledgeable people before hand thanks and god bless
    Last edited by Hoss29860; 02-14-2021 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Spell

Shot charges are all about weight.
    That's how the bushings on the charge bars are rated.

If you want to 'come close', stay on the 'under' side.
    Other wise, it might get real exciting.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Man
    Not a stupid question. I've heard there's no such thing. But I digress. Ounces are ounces. Whether it be lead or chicken feathers. 1 1/8 oz. of #8 shot is the same as 1 1/8 oz. of #1 buckshot.

Boolit Grand Master

As Winger Ed says, for the most part shot loads are about weight... more or less. Shot bushings measure by volume but for most common birdshot sizes there isn't a lot of difference in the weight of a given volume but as shot size increases the shot charge is less dense.

You will likely find that an equivalent weight of buckshot takes more volume than birdshot so won't fit in the same wad. More of an issue with large buckshot.

So yes, using equivalent weight of buckshot in a birdshot recipe is safe but you will likely have to change the wad column.

If using a birdshot recipe you will also not likely have the same velocity and range as a typical buckshot recipe.

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

Normally buck shot is a pellet count for the gauge in question. IE 9 00 pellets. bird shot is by weight shot size dosnt make a lot of difference. But on a 1 1/8 ounce charge thre are a lot more number 9 pellets than number 6 pellets.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks everyone and 1 1/8 oz is equal to 492.188 grains my casted 00 buck pellets weighing 54 grains each average so 9 pellets of 00 buck will be 486 grains just shy of 1 1/8 oz by 6.188 grains i all ready expected
    to modify the wad by removeing peddles for the 00 to fit going to load some up and hit the range for testing this week to see how they perform

I got away from loading for shot guns several years ago, but as I remember-- there was info in the loading books about buckshot loads.
    It got off into pellet counts, powder charges, wads, etc.

If they aren't listed in your book, it shouldn't be hard to research and find the correct way to load them..
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Good on you for reading the book, and asking the question. Welcome to the forum.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

Welcome to you sir.
    No stupid questions here.
    Regards
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Grand Master

MEC charge bars are calibrated with chilled shot in the range of shot sizes that would be most suitable for that payload weight. I believe all manufactures do this but I am certain MEC & PW do. I If I remember correctly the 1 1/8 oz lead bushings are sized/calibrated for #8 shot sizes. Again this is from memory but the 2 1/4 oz are sized for larger shot possibly #2 lead shot. Back in the day when lead was waterfowl legal I used to load a lot of 2 1/4 oz and 2 1/2 oz loads for the 10 gauge.

You won't have an issue with using larger shot in the bushing since it is going to be lighter payload. On the other side of the coin it possibly could be an issue loading #12 shot in a 2 1/4 oz bushing since the payload will be over 2 1/4 oz.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer