RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dillon 550 single stage conversion

Dillon 550 single stage conversion

Anyone use these? I'd like a rock chucker, but they are expensive or unavailable right now. I've seen the conversion but don't know if it's worth it. Thanks
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

35 or 40 dollars will buy a very good used single stage press. Why on earth would you want to do some kind of conversion of one of the finest progressive presses ever built? If you want to do things the hard way, just put one die in the 550 and use that station only.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

I don't always have the shell plate for the cartridge I am playing with, if you have a rock chucker for $40, I'd love to buy it.
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Master
    I think buying a Dillon shell plate would be a lot cheaper than any quality single stage press you could buy in this current market.

Boolit Master
    I don't know about the Dillon but hardly anyone has anything bad to say about the. but the reason I went with the Hornady, lower cost of shell plates and caliber conversion, when I could afford a progressive and quite often I find myself using it to load one shell at a tine

Boolit Grand Master
    I seen one and it was $100. Never used one but there are YouTube videos.

You might be better off being patient and looking for a used single stage or turret press. Unless you need the strength of a RC, their Jr press or one of the older presses from others would be a better option IMO. There are a couple of RC's on eBay for under $150 ending in less than 10 hours right now. Presses are offered regularly here in the S&S section and most are at a decent price.

I expect quite a few guys are going to be downsizing. I sold two Dillons here as I am shooting less and did not need them. With the component shortages, others may start unloading the "extra" presses they do not need. And let's face it....a lot of the older guys are going to shed stuff....I know....I am one of them.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    I'd look for an RCBS reloader special or similiar. They used to be inexpensive like mentioned and can still be found. A LEE Challenger press is good too for the not so often used press. If you want to form cases, that's where you want something like a RockChucker or equivalent.

Oddly, I just sold a Hornady LnL AP here, and also a Lyman T-mag II. I still have one of each, but like mentioned decided I just didn't need all those presses.

The other option might be to buy a Lee hand press kit. They are available at Midway. I used to use one a good bit. I could size and prime brass at home and then head to the range (private land) and work up a load. I'd start with ones I thought would be good. This would be for an older rifle where I didn't want to mess with the sights too much.

You can also take it on trips. I know it sounds dumb But I have been known to take a box of brass or something in a cardboard box on a trip and sit in the hotel room and knocking out primers to pass the time. Not on an airplane mind you. Thankfully, I don't have to travel like that anymore, but when I drove a good bit, it was a way to keep up so to speak.

Just be patient, something will turn up.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    35 or 40 dollars will buy a very good used single stage press. Why on earth would you want to do some kind of conversion of one of the finest progressive presses ever built? If you want to do things the hard way, just put one die in the 550 and use that station only.
    not sure thats true any more on the price of a press

Boolit Master

I recently bought the UniqueTek single stage conversion, which may be the one you've seen. My reason was twofold: flexibility, for one, and the other reason was I wanted a press for a recently acquired set of shotshell dies that had an unusual thread. I haven't done it yet, but it'll be straightforward to bore and thread the second aluminum single hole die plate to match my dies. This'll give me the ability to use those dies with a press already bolted to the bench and not have to search for a rarely encountered single use press.

I have a little jr press, and want a bigger, more powerful press. I can't get 300 RUM to fit in it, and only load a couple for my dad once in a great while. I've missed a few RCs on here. Just wondered if anyone had tried the 550 conversion. I'm looking forward to a small review if you have time Neuces.
    Thanks
    Last edited by pull the trigger; 02-16-2021 at 03:02 AM.
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Master
    The S&S section has presses come through pretty regular.

Just saying

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Banned

im confused here. Why cant you use your 550 as a single stage as is. Ive done it many times.

Moderator Emeritus
    His only press appears to be a 550. He doesn’t have the correct Dillon shell plate and is looking for something that uses a shell holder. Much cheaper to get a shell holder than a Conversion kit.

Banned

ok i can buy that.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    im confused here. Why cant you use your 550 as a single stage as is. Ive done it many times.
    Lloyd, I’ve done it as well, mostly because of trying to work up a load on a progressive press. Don’t remember why. Being lazy? It’s not like I don’t have good single stage presses. With no measurements or testing to back up my impressions, I didn’t feel like using a 550 as a single stage was as consistent as using it as intended. Most likely I would only have been looking for muzzle velocity testing for USPSA loads. Do you have any testing or other data that would refute or confirm my seat-of-the-pants unscientific impressions?
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    His only press appears to be a 550. He doesn’t have the correct Dillon shell plate and is looking for something that uses a shell holder. Much cheaper to get a shell holder than a Conversion kit.
    Exactly. And it's not a done deal, I was simply looking for input from a real user. I would love a good RC or big boss or something, but never seam to catch the deal. I feel like the 550 has really good mechanical advantage and plenty of stroke. So I thought I would ask the question. Thanks for all the ideas.
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

I created a single station 1" aluminum plate to replace the turret assembly on a Lee Classic Turret press.
    This was to accomodate a set of 1 1/4-18 shotshell dies.
    Had given my Herters press away and then decided to try and use my shotgun reloading dies.
    Made a 7/8-14 die plate as well for case forming should I think I want to do that.
    Been too cold to see if either will work.
    If not, there is still a 4x8 sheet of aluminum that I can use part of for version 2.

Boolit Man
    Some guy on ebay who goes by the name "Snowshooze" sells single stage conversion kits for both the 550 and 650. He's out of Anchorage but delivery is quick. Been selling Dillon upgrades for several years now. The guy's real name is Mark. Real straight shooter. As to why? Every reloading bench needs a single stage press but not every reloading bench has room for both a progressive and a single stage. That's where the conversion kit comes in handy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	650 Conversion.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	277910
    Last edited by DiverJay; 02-18-2021 at 02:14 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    The S&S section has presses come through pretty regular.

Just saying

Three44s
    Only thing I have seen recently is WTB. Evilbay and Craigslist's prices are unreal. Almost as bad as primer and powder prices.

Also shipping prices on the conversion will be a lot less.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

That "Snowshoes" conversion looks pretty damn good. How much is it going for, and does anyone here have experience with it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast