Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruger American 45acp failure to extract

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    /\ my point exactly, If the extractor is flawed, then why doesn't the problem exist with all cartridges?
    An interesting question to which I'd like to know too - the fact that it's occurring didn't escape my notice, but you tell me; he could be using a completely different brand of case with a thinner rim in the TCs (as one example) for all we know.

There's way too little info mentioned to perform a comparative analysis, but looking at the specific issue facing us, the case is falling off the extractor, so solve that issue.
    Last edited by AndyC; 02-17-2021 at 12:58 PM.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Banned
    I agree we lack information. But before I started filing, bending, replacing parts, etc. - I would want to eliminate all of those variables.

If the gun functions perfectly with one type of cartridge, I don't think I would say the GUN is the problem.

Boolit Master

I would - I wouldn't want a pistol that's reliable with solely one type of cartridge.
    My Iraq Pics

Banned
    Then find another cartridge, or two, or three, that will run in your pistol. Just because the gun chokes on one cartridge doesn't mean the PISTOL is broken.
    If the gun functions on 2 dozen different types of cartridges but will not function with one type, I wouldn't label the gun as defective and start modifying the gun.

Boolit Master
    Then find another cartridge, or two, or three, that will run in your pistol. Just because the gun chokes on one cartridge doesn't mean the PISTOL is broken.
    If the gun functions on 2 dozen different types of cartridges but will not function with one type, I wouldn't label the gun as defective and start modifying the gun.
    I agree it's not unusual for semi autos to have a preference on bullets style , Feedum what they like as long as they feed the bullet styles that do what you need . Several folks here have mentioned XD 45s don't like SWC bullets. That is why many of us that load for multiple 45s like RN boolits.

Boolit Master

Ah, but you're moving the goal-posts there:

1) - he doesn't have other cartridges; gotta work with what you have, not wishes and dreams.

2) He's TRYING to get another one to work, and from his description, it's falling off the extractor - so I'm suggesting checking out the extractor-tension, which:

3) in no way means (as you're implying, that what I've suggested is) that "the PISTOL is broken.".

I would absolutely agree - other than the facts that 1) extractor-tension needing a tweak isn't a defective pistol as you so dramatically call it and 2) again, he doesn't HAVE "2 dozen different types of cartridges". I wish he did - I'd love to know what happens with factory ammo and give us far more points of data to work with, but he doesn't.

The difference in our philosophies seems to be that you want to work around the issue, I want to find out what it is and fix it.
    Last edited by AndyC; 02-20-2021 at 08:31 PM.
    My Iraq Pics

Boolit Master
    Any thought of asking the OP what he wants to do?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    Any thought of asking the OP what he wants to do?
    No, we're having too much fun yelling at each other.

Banned
    The goal post are right where we started.

"1) - he doesn't have other cartridges; gotta work with what you have, not wishes and dreams."

/\ NOT true, He COULD change what he has. He's NOT married to THOSE cartridges, he could use something else.

If you've created some cartridge that DOESN'T work in your pistol, perhaps it would be better to use a different cartridge rather than modify your gun.......just saying

Boolit Master

The goal post are right where we started.

"1) - he doesn't have other cartridges; gotta work with what you have, not wishes and dreams."

/\ NOT true, He COULD change what he has. He's NOT married to THOSE cartridges, he could use something else.
    You're assuming he could - he hasn't mentioned any such option. For all we know, those cartridges are all he has - particularly these days where it's hard to get anything else.

If you've created some cartridge that DOESN'T work in your pistol, perhaps it would be better to use a different cartridge rather than modify your gun.......just saying
    Yeah, because looking at an extractor is such a big deal - and you're still assuming the cartridge is at fault when we know that it 1) does chamber 2) does shoot then 3) falls off the extractor.

In his words - "The slide looses its grip on the spent case and continues rearward.". I want to know why that's happening and solve it, but I guess you don't care about that part.
    Last edited by AndyC; 02-21-2021 at 12:53 PM.
    My Iraq Pics

Banned
    From the OP:

"I recently received the above handgun. I bought it new, it is not broken in yet. An it very prone to not fully extracting a fired case when i am using a trunkated (sic) cone bullet. The gun fires and extracts rounds when i use standard round nose bullets......"

So - YES, he does have other options.
    And the gun works just FINE with those other options (standard round nose bullets).

There's no need to replace extractors, tension extractors, alter extractors or sit down and have a long talk with the extractor......

As for, "In his words - "The slide looses its grip on the spent case and continues rearward.". I want to know why that's happening and solve it, but I guess you don't care about that part."

You are absolutely correct that I don't care about that part because I do not believe the OP has correctly identified the problem. I believe the problem is the CARTRIDGE, not the gun.

Boolit Master

You're still not telling me anything we didn't know already, but you're welcome to tell him to quit using his TC bullets and stick to RN - yeah, that'll solve the problem
    My Iraq Pics

I would try reducing the COL to the minimum amount and tighten the taper crimp.

I'd like some pics and some popcorn

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I was having this same problem with a 1911. It was frustrating. Then I tried a Wilson combat magazine. It will feed anything I put in it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryN View Post
    I was having this same problem with a 1911. It was frustrating. Then I tried a Wilson combat magazine. It will feed anything I put in it.
    1911s have been around so long and are so popular no other pistol that I am aware of has so many options for after market parts and modifications . But for many years with most 1911s the pistol had to be modified to reliably feed anything but ball . You cant find the different parts and known solutions with any other pistol . Not that other pistols can't be modified but kinda starting from scratch with basically no aftermarket support .
    If it was my new Ruger if I did not want to find a bullet shape or OAL cartridge dimension that worked , I would send it back to Ruger to make sure it is in spec. before I started modifying .

Boolit Master
    Mods please close thread. A heated debate was not my intention!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12