Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: 98grn .32 hbwc?

Boolit Bub

98grn .32 hbwc?

Just wondering, as I have access to some 98grn .32 hbwc's, would they be suitable as a sort of "minie ball" for a .32 cal front stuffer?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by downunderrunner View Post
    Just wondering, as I have access to some 98grn .32 hbwc's, would they be suitable as a sort of "minie ball" for a .32 cal front stuffer?
    As a concept it sounds good. Wonder what the groove diameter is on the .32? Shoot, one of my cousins is working up a 22 caliber muzzleloader and the barrel is an old 1890 Win. octagonal. The boolit is the main question.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Grand Master

I have thought of trying it myself and even have them but just never got around to it. I see no reason it shouldn't work with the right barrel twist.
    Aim small, miss small!

I would think they would be too small in dia . Figure the round ball dia is normally .31-.315 and used with a patch that is .010 or thicker . The bore dia is I think .320 then add the groove depth .006 let's say.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Banned

32 dia is .312-.314
    Now maybe a fat .323

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    I've been wondering that myself, since I bought a Traditions Crockett rifle yesterday and have several .32 pistol molds, no HB though.

As long as it will fit down the bore and the twist is somewhat close to suitable I think it would work.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I have used 357 HBWC in my 36 Seneca. They worked pretty well.
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the encouragement, what twist would y'all recommend? Thinking about making my own barrel, button rifled, to suit a spare lock and trigger I have

Boolit Grand Master

It depends on what you want to shoot. 1-48 is common for .32 but that is more of a RB twist but I have heard of some shooting conicals ok. If you are wanting to shoot conicals, I myself would want a bit tight twist, like 1-32 or 1-36.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd look up the Greenhill formula if I were contemplating making my own barrel. I don't think a 1:48 round ball twist will work for a HBWC used as a Minie ball.

Robert

Boolit Buddy

You would need shallow rifling depth. Orig .58 minie guns have rifling that is 1-72 or 1-66. 1-48 is a modern compromise.

Boolit Grand Master

1-48 is only a compromise in certain calibers. The larger the caliber, the less twist is needed and the smaller the caliber, the more or faster twist is needed. That is why most 32s are the 1-48 twist. But yes, the minies do better with a shallow rifling. Since the regular HB32 is not really designed for a ML, the twist needed would be questionable. Minies usually do best when they fir the bore, .001 under bore size for the minie.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    I have a traditions deerhunter in 32, and I worked up loads with a Lee double ended wadcutter with fair success, but I had to paper patch them with double thickness of packaging paper to get them to engage the rifling. With a loading block and crossed strips of paper, it should be workable. You can get some idea of what I mean by looking into the muzzleloader bench rest paper patching methods.

Boolit Bub
    Ok, thanks guys, think I'll go with 1:36, out of a 28-30 inch barrel, probably full stock too, anyone want to throw some suggestions at me?

Boolit Grand Master
    I've wanted an Ohio rifle in the style of a Vincent for quite a while. Most were half stocks, but at least some were made as full stocks.

Robert

Boolit Master
    With a 38 hbwc 850 fps is about the limit to keep the base intact and still group. Not sure what a 32 would stand. I have blown the base off of some Remington hbwc on purpose seeing what they will stand.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 02-24-2021 at 12:39 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Oooooooo, the Vincent's are beautiful, but I really love the "jaeger" style full stock look, but for weight a half stock may be better?