Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: uberti 1873 in 44 mag

Boolit Bub

uberti 1873 in 44 mag

Just wondered what the perceptions of quality are for uberti rifles, also what they slug at in the 44sp/44mag options. I am not intending to hotrod the 44 case in a toggle link action. Would probably run 44 special cases to 44-40 original power levels max. Hoping this gun has a reasonable chance of having decent quality and being potentially accurate if I get one. Its got a bit of a dollar value is all. Dont want to be buying a 'nice looking warranty magnet'( like I found with chiappa). The 1:18 twist is one of the attractive points for slow heavy bullets too. Thanks for any thoughts.

I was loading a box of black powder 44 mag ammo yesterday for my Marlin, and thinking about those rifles. I suppose if you could get one cheap enough over a 44-40 it might be worth having. A load of straight black in the 44 mag isn't quite as powerful as a full 44-40 load, but very lightly duplex loaded it is about equal. I assume Uberti has tested them with full pressure smokeless loads and they don't blow up but I would have serious doubts as to how long they would last. I don't think I would want to use 44 spl loads at 44-40 levels in it, that is going to push pressures up quite high. 200 grains at 1295 fps (out of a rifle) is nothing to sneeze at. At least stick to magnum cases for the little extra capacity to drop pressures a bit.

I own a Uberti 1873 in a .45 Colt and have limited my loads to European pressure standards for which it was designed and tested. Has anyone known of a .44 Mag 1873 that “failed” with factory loads? Does anyone on this site, or any other know of an owner who actually shoots one? I’ve talked to Uberti reps who say factory level pressure loads are perfectly OK to use without specifying reduced loads for ever day shooting. I’m just asking, since I’ve read over the years the same statements regarding the 1873 “weak” action versus the .44 Mag’s destructive “nature”? I’ve only handled one in that caliber, and it was the “carbine” model with the 19” BBL; I could not tell any difference from all their other models from the outside. (I hardly believe Uberti would risk their reputation and insurance money on a product that was designed to self destruct with factory ammo without even a mention regarding what specific loads were approved for use.) My .02

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
    I own a Uberti 1873 in a .45 Colt and have limited my loads to European pressure standards for which it was designed and tested. Has anyone known of a .44 Mag 1873 that “failed” with factory loads? Does anyone on this site, or any other know of an owner who actually shoots one? I’ve talked to Uberti reps who say factory level pressure loads are perfectly OK to use without specifying reduced loads for ever day shooting. I’m just asking, since I’ve read over the years the same statements regarding the 1873 “weak” action versus the .44 Mag’s destructive “nature”? I’ve only handled one in that caliber, and it was the “carbine” model with the 19” BBL; I could not tell any difference from all their other models from the outside. (I hardly believe Uberti would risk their reputation and insurance money on a product that was designed to self destruct with factory ammo without even a mention regarding what specific loads were approved for use.) My .02
    I tend to agree. There are quite a few in Australia apparently getting a regular work out on hogs. We would have heard something on the internet if one had blown or a lot of warranty action was occurring.

I've got an 1873 Uberti in .44-40. I really like it, and it seems a high quality firearm in every way. I read your original post carefully, and see that you are aware of the strength limitations of the old 1873 design. Like you have observed, I would not fire repeated doses of high velocity .44 Magnum ammunition in it, but if moderate loads are used I think it should provide satisfactory service. I have a Rossi 1892 clone in .44 Mag., and although the action is different I keep the load levels down in it as well.

DG

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    I don't think I would want to use 44 spl loads at 44-40 levels in it, that is going to push pressures up quite high. 200 grains at 1295 fps (out of a rifle) is nothing to sneeze at. At least stick to magnum cases for the little extra capacity to drop pressures a bit.
    Im aiming for 1200fps with 200 grain. There are pistol loads that get 44 special almost there, certainly over 1000fps. Adding the rifle barrel to that, even easier, should be 16,000-PSI under 44 mag pressures.

https://www.handloadermagazine.com/4...special-pistol
    Last edited by stef76; 02-14-2021 at 12:27 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I've got an 1873 Uberti in .44-40. I really like it, and it seems a high quality firearm in every way. I read your original post carefully, and see that you are aware of the strength limitations of the old 1873 design. Like you have observed, I would not fire repeated doses of high velocity .44 Magnum ammunition in it, but if moderate loads are used I think it should provide satisfactory service. I have a Rossi 1892 clone in .44 Mag., and although the action is different I keep the load levels down in it as well.

DG
    Thanks DG! Did you ever slug the barrel? Though I assume uberti might run a different barrel for its 44mag/special and 44-40...

Yes, I did. .429".

DG

Yes, I did. .429".

DG
    That's a good thing, should be more accurate with commonly available bullets than the .433" barreled guns like my Marlin.

I can't speak for individual rifles, or for all manufacturers, but the trend over the last 10-15 years has been to standardize on .429". Used to be .427" was common for .44-40. I'll bet that you load cast to get good accuracy in the Marlin?

DG

Boolit Bub
    That's a good thing, should be more accurate with commonly available bullets than the .433" barreled guns like my Marlin.
    Nobade, I was thinking the same, also with the 1:18 twist of the uberti it might have an advantage with slow heavy bullets as well. The other option is a rossi 92 in 44 mag with the 24" barrel but it has the slower 1:30 twist and not sure what the Rossi's slug at.

What would you get fellas if you wanted the best chance of subsonic and low power accuracy?

Someone make the decision for me

Boolit Bub
    One of the big points is a 24" barrel, more weight, less noise, hangs on the target better for me. Really seems down to uberti, rossi and win/miroku in that regard, though regards win/miroku there is the minor issue of parts support and I had heard their barrels slug pretty big too. There is probably chiappa too but after the warranty issues I had, never again.

I can't speak for individual rifles, or for all manufacturers, but the trend over the last 10-15 years has been to standardize on .429". Used to be .427" was common for .44-40. I'll bet that you load cast to get good accuracy in the Marlin?

DG
    Yes, .433" bullets and black powder. The only way I have found really good accuracy with smokeless is to paper patch the bullets and seat them out to touch the rifling, which results in a cartridge way too long to feed through the action. The huge throat allows too much gas to leak past if bullets are seated normally. But loaded with black, they bump up and seal immediately and shoot quite well with no leading. If that '73 is throated short, has a 1:18 twist, and a .429" groove diameter it should work very well with slow, heavy bullets.

Boolit Mold
    While I've seen claims the 44 Mag version uses all the same parts, Brian Pearce wrote in Rifle in 2019:

... a couple of years ago Uberti also introduced the Model 1873 in .44 Magnum, which generates considerably greater case head thrust. To safely handle this cartridge, Uberti upgraded the steel on the receiver and bolt, and a special heat-treating process performed at the Beretta factory further increases strength.
    I wrote one of the importers a few years ago about the 44 Mag, asking how they were holding up. The reply indicated it's not an ideal match, but it works.

As I recall, here in the US only the carbine version is available in 44 Mag.

My .45 Colt '73 is a Cimarron, but Uberti made it. A very high quality rifle, and just gorgeous in my opinion. 30" barrel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200314_083954-800x600.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	222.1 KB 
ID:	278009

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200314_084003-800x600.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	236.8 KB 
ID:	278010

I have recently bought four different Uberti made guns. My first was the 1873 in 45 Colt. It was so well made that I bought an Uberti made 1873 Revolver (Beretta) and then a Uberti made 1873 22lr revolver. That 22lr Uberti out shoots my Rugers for accuracy. So Uberti quality is great is all I am saying. I also have the Uberti 1866 22LR. All are great quality.
    Last edited by jstanfield103; 02-19-2021 at 10:30 PM.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

Boolit Buddy
    We have 4 Uberti '73`s in our house and they get hammered with Cowboy action loads in .357 , the .357 I use most would have had at least 30-35k rounds through it in the last 5 years and still runs sweet, My 45 colt 73 Rifle runs a 185 grain cast at 950fps although only gets a couple k a year through that, all of them are nicely built and have been reliable 100%, Do not remove or disable your lever safety as if you fire out of battery it gets nasty

Enjoy your new rifle and cheers

My recently manufactured Remington Marlin 1894 had a .432" barrel. I sold it.
    Such .432" barrels are common in Marlins apparently, and SAAMI standards allow it in rifles, but not revolvers.

My Marlin 1894 .45 Colt barrel is a proper .452" and will easily shoot both jacketed and cast bullets accurately, and functions quite well.
    Also, I can handload to .44 magnum velocities if I wish.
    Last edited by Prairie Cowboy; 02-19-2021 at 08:22 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Are the Uberti 73 models made by Uberti or Pedersoli?

mine is Uberti made, at least that is what it says. Came in a Uberti box also.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast