Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning after shooting

Banned

SO many personal opinions about bp cleaning and SO many diverse processes.

Which one to choose?

The answer is that you may only know what's best for you through personal testing of those personal opinions.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helmer View Post
    The Old Army Manual specified hot, soapy WATER, dry patches and oil. Windex, alcohol, vinegar, etc., work because all are Water-Based! Water, the hotter the better, cleans gun bores.

The Army had more guns than I ever will and knew how to preserve bores. Nuff said.

Adam
    the army also strenuously resisted cartridge guns in favour of muzzle loaders , resisted repeaters in favour of single shots - they were not all geniuses and as mentioned corrosive priming compound was a major issue for military - room temperature water is quite adequate for cleaning blackpowder - hot has no advantage at all for cleaning and carries the disadvantage of flash rusting the clean bore ---nuff said?

Banned

I clean all my BP revolvers in the dishwasher. Remove the grips and I always take the action apart and clean by hand. Been doing this for decades with no hint of rust ever.

A.K.A. Bullshop Jr. SierraHunter's Avatar
    I use hot water and dawn, but I ruined the finish on a Ruger Vaquero using dish soap last year.

My wife got away from using down and starting using 7th generation citrus scent. I **** the vaquero with some black powder and figured dish soap was dish soap, boiled some water and threw the gun in there. Cleaned the cylinder, and pulled out the barrel and frame and the finish was gone. Turns out natural based soaps have citrus, and citrus will strip blueing which was something I didn’t know. So be careful what kind of soap you use.

Quote Originally Posted by SierraHunter View Post
    I use hot water and dawn, but I ruined the finish on a Ruger Vaquero using dish soap last year.

My wife got away from using down and starting using 7th generation citrus scent. I **** the vaquero with some black powder and figured dish soap was dish soap, boiled some water and threw the gun in there. Cleaned the cylinder, and pulled out the barrel and frame and the finish was gone. Turns out natural based soaps have citrus, and citrus will strip blueing which was something I didn’t know. So be careful what kind of soap you use.
    I got to refinish several guns for a guy who did that with the citrus based simple green. It does indeed remove the blueing quite effectively. Left a pretty interesting tiger stripe rust pattern in the metal too.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beltfed View Post
    After shooting is done:
    Swab bore with 2-3 patches wet with Windex with Vinegar- last one wipe down the muzzle area
    Does a good job of dissolving any residual salts as well as the general fouling.
    wipe with one dry
    wipe with one wetted with 97% Isopropyl Alcohol
    wipe dry, including muzzle
    Oil into bore: RIG gun grease if not shooting again for a longer time,
    and wipe down all metal - barrel, action, steel butt plate, with RIG rag
    Done
    beltfed/arnie
    I have never heard of RIG. After looking it up , I ordered a jar

Boolit Buddy
    Black powder is NOT complicated chemical compounds. It is quite basic. BP revolvers and lever action rifles require more work but cleaning the BP residue is still simple. Single shot cartridgerifles BP are so easy most shooters simply don't believe it. One shooter shunned BP loads as the thought of cleaning his barrel with WATER horrified him. Seeing 19th century soldiers cleaning Trapdoors ahead of inspection would likely have caused a coronary.
    I remember NCOs who had entered service during WWII boiling water in a 55 gal drum over an open fire and dunking our stripped M16s in prep for inspection. Funny to think about now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12