Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Eastwood powder what's a good color to use?

Boolit Buddy

Eastwood powder what's a good color to use?

So I have some black powder and not sure if I'm doing it wrong but placed the powder boolits in a tumbler and let it tumble for 20 mins baked and they came out looking okay not totally coated and had blotches on them. Like I said not doing it right or if it's the powder I'm using. The powder is also 5+ years old so not sure that might be a problem.

Anyway I'd like to know what are some good colors to use ? Also I'm I doing it right with the tumbler? Thanks!

Boolit Master

The idea is to Produce static electricity. Try putting bullets and SMALL AMOUNT of powder in a zip lock THEN into tumbler. Maybe add a couple handfulls of airsoft bbs. Anything to increase surface area. (In tumbler not req in with powder)

Swirling is causing bullets to have the most contact with the plastic causes the fastest amount of electricity.

Second issue, CLEAN BULLETS... oils or contaminates on those bullets can cause those blotches too.

There are MANY THREADS HERE to help You.

Good luck

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    I have some Eastwood powder that is 20yrs old. It seem to work fine at first
    I started having trouble getting a good coat.

Eastwood Henry Blue is probably the best powder avalible for Coating bullets. Its.ford blue

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    The idea is to Produce static electricity. Try putting bullets and SMALL AMOUNT of powder in a zip lock THEN into tumbler. Maybe add a couple handfulls of airsoft bbs. Anything to increase surface area. (In tumbler not req in with powder)

Swirling is causing bullets to have the most contact with the plastic causes the fastest amount of electricity.

Second issue, CLEAN BULLETS... oils or contaminates on those bullets can cause those blotches too.

There are MANY THREADS HERE to help You.

Good luck

CW
    I did use plastic BBs! With the tumble. Maybe they need to be cleaned before?,

Boolit Master
    Black powders can be a problem. Did you lay the bottle on it's side so that it turned while vibrating? I agree with the other fellas. Try the Ford light blue. Seems everybody has good luck with it.
    Last edited by slide; 02-14-2021 at 07:57 AM.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Buddy

Eastwood powder what's a good color to use?

YouTube “Loads of Bacon” ... he spent a lot of time testing. Mirror red with some copper vein

Boolit Master

My two best Eastwood powders are Ford light blue & Wagon red. Mirror black also works well. White, yellow, & required 2 coats if you want the extra effort. I also did some purple ones, can't remember the name, that also worked well.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Ford light blue, makes dropped rounds easy to find in grass.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    I hate the color, but it sure coats easy

Ford dark blue and bright pink work well. My favorite is clear, it just works and looks right for the part. I tried copper penny but it takes more effort than I care to take to coat like the others.

Boolit Master

Bonestly I have t used a "bad" Eastwood color. But I only use a few regularly. I prefer to buy from local folks here on the board. They know what worksand they are here with us offering comments and sage advice.

I find all Eastwood powders REQUIRE me to stand my bullets as they stick together and to my baskets excessively.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    Eastwood super gloss clear. Good coverage. Painter holidays are unnoticeable, they don’t affect performance down range. Tumble by hand in plastic tub for a count of 40. Dump into a wire basket. Shake off extra powder. Bake at 375°F to 400°F for 30 minutes. Ten minutes to reach part temp and 20 for cure time.
    https://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-pow...oss-clear.html

Boolit Master
    Eastwood ford light blue was my best color and Harbor frt red, other HF colors no go, but use them to mix with other brands seem to work well.