Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data

Thread: The first batches.

Boolit Buddy

The first batches.

So I managed to get my first batches of bullets coated. I used Eastwood maroon. The cheap Amazon toaster oven bakes at between 395-410 degrees, measured with an IR thermometer. I gave them 10 minutes to get up to temperature and 20 minutes to cure. As soon as I figure out how to load pictures on here I will post them. All of them ended up coated, and the coating stayed on even with flattening them with a hammer. But the color looks a little splotchy on some of the bullets. Not perfect, but it's a start.

-Mb

My first PC was a few days ago. I inherited a friends shake and bake setup. I am on around batch ten. Getting better with every batch. Even the ugly ones shoot ok with no barrel fouling. Nephew and I cast around 500 9mm and coated them today. New obsession for me. lol
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

there is a slight learning curve to the method of shake, and swirl, and how much powder to put in to be "just right".... I'm still learning but I'm also getting better...

Boolit Master

looking forward to your pics. I just did my first batches the last two nights and ran out of bullets to coat. Frankly I am amazed how well they came out and how easy it was. But then I have been reading and prepping for at least a month.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

all of these were done by shake and bake method..

Boolit Buddy

These are (from top to bottom):

6.8 SPC 109 grain hollow point. These will be sized and have a gas check added. Made with 20:1 alloy. Hopefully I can get these moving pretty fast with the coating and the gas check.

.358" hard cast 158 grain Manstopper bullet. It is essentially a wadcutter designed to sit outside of the case mouth. This mold is off at Hollow Point Molds.com being turned into a .38 version of the old Webley Mk III Manstopper bullet. This one was gas checked and sized prior to being coated. It was sized again afterwards. In the future, I will probably only be sizing and adding the gas check after they are coated.

.40 caliber 175 grain had cast TC. These were the first batch I did. Sized after coating.

the .40 caliber bullets. One unsmashed, and one smashed, to test the coating. Yup, it worked.
    Last edited by gun toting monkeyboy; 02-16-2021 at 03:41 PM.

Banned
    both your boolits look good --- Passing the smash test doesn't mean the boolits are fully cured