Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does this hobby result in cannibalism of discards?

Boolit Mold
    Brunswick, Ohio (20 miles south of Cleveland)

Does this hobby result in cannibalism of discards?

First off let me say this, my boss and I have a running joke between us and that is this "you know we've been in the business to long when they start tearing down buildings we helped design to build new ones" with that said, do bullet caster hobbyist find themselves scrounging around for unwanted / obsolete bullets to melt down in order to cast bullets they currently shoot?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rmichael63 View Post
    First off let me say this, my boss and I have a running joke between us and that is this "you know we've been in the business to long when they start tearing down buildings we helped design to build new ones" with that said, do bullet caster hobbyist find themselves scrounging around for unwanted / obsolete bullets to melt down in order to cast bullets they currently shoot?
    Short answer, yes, If the price is right unused bullets can be repurposed to usable bullets.
    I have bought cast bullets from estate sales and repurposed them on a number of occasions. It is much less expensive than buying a new gun and dies, and eventually molds to use these bullets up.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master
    Never got fare enough ahead to have to do that. Now recycling once-fired is another matter.

Boolit Master
    Yes, was cleaning out my deceased fathers shop and found probably 20 pounds of assorted dusty lubed bullets and they are now 300 grain WFN for the .45 Colt. I have in my own shop gathered probably that amount in scrap bullets I forgot I had and they will this afternoon meet the same fate. An extra 1,000 bullets available and didn't have to break out a single ingot.

Boolits cast in the past which turned out to be excess to my current requirements were lubed, stacked in air tight food storage plastic containers, labeled, and sealed. They look just the way they did when I put them in there. It is not a massive amount, Maybe 75 158 gr .357 mags, about 100 .30 cal most cast closer to .314 than .309. Some .32s and .22's. But no I'm not melting them down.

I would if I no longer shot that caliber, but that has not happened to me yet.

And I don't scrap and repour just to be doing something.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    I don't look for cast bullets to recast but if I run across ones that I am no longer going to use or find some at an auction cheap and not usable to me I will recast them. All lead is boolit material and won't be wasted.

Boolit Master
    Before I started casting, I ordered 60# cast 9mm and lubed from commercial caster. The lube is ? Blue and hard.
    Started looking into powder coating because this blue lube was getting in my seater die, tried to get blue lube off so could take powder, not much luck.

Ordered some cast, not sized or lubed, better pc with these.

Answer would be, yes I would melt these if run out of wheel weights in the future, or just load em and shoot em.
    They shoot just fine, they just aren’t as pretty.

Boolit Master

I just turned 2000 175g 40's into 452's and 459's
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Man

Other casters have given me samples of whichever mold over the years. As I find myself owning new molds that shoot well, the samples find their way into the pot to make more of what works. Similarly if I sell off a caliber and find a pile of something I casted up, those will be sacrificed to the greater good. Now I can't think of more than once where I melted down anything I went out and purchased. Found them post caliber sell off and thought it easier to melt down than resell.

Boolit Master

I have several thousand commercially cast .45 bullets. They are lubed with the traditional hard blue lube that commercial casters like. I started to boil the lube off the bullets so I could powder coat them. It takes two or three boiling sessions plus flashing with solvent. I find it is easier to melt them and recast to get good adhesion from powder coating. The commercial lube makes good flux in the pot. In another instance, I acquired a thousand Lee 309 200 RN bullets cast from a very hard alloy. However, they measured .3065. My favorite 30 cal lead flingers like .311. It was easier to just melt them down, add pure Pb and recast in another mold to get the desired diameter.

Boolit Master
    I have done that with two boxes of .429 240 grain swc's that were inaccurate in every 44 Special I shoot. Why keep them, when I can recast them in .430?
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master

NO!!!!

The correct answer is you find a NEW (used) firearm that will use those bullets
    he he he

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

Oh yeah! I've got almost two full cartons of old commercial .429 SWCs sitting on top my (diminishing) stack of COWW ingots. They lead badly in my M24 and 'pattern' (as opposed to 'group') from my 1894 Marlin. They were gifted to my by an older gentleman who found them while cleaning out underneath his reloading bench...said they were useless to him 'cause he no longer casts and his old DW silhouette gun had gone to his grandson in Florida years ago.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Buddy
    I have two coffee cans on my bench. One has "Puller" on it and the other simply says "Lead". If it's an oops it goes into the puller can and if it is a bad cast it goes into the lead can.
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

No. I never know when a "new" caliber tool will find it's way to me.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Each time I got to my local scrap yard I check their lead pile. In the last year or two I have found several unopened boxes of commercially produced bullets in that bin. None of them were calibers I was interested in to reuse.....but all of them were melted down into ingots of a known composition and hardness.....no chemistry required.
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Master
    A friend gifted me a couple thousand lead .38 Super boolits (.355"). I melted them down and made boolits I want.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I recycle many bullets. Usually because I have sold the gun that took that particular projectile.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

I've recycled bullets that I had cast a few times for various reasons. Dropped or otherwise dirty bullets, the last hand full left over after loading a batch, a change in lube or alloy, a sized diameter that didn't work out, ect. Its not something that I try to do in any great amount.

Boolit Master
    I went to a yard sale about a year ago and they were trying to sell some reloading gear. Bullet molds and dies. The man had passed and left his widow with tens of thousands of cast bullets. They were all .429 with gas checks. They were all packed neatly in large cookie tins. There were three large cans of bullets. One I could hardly lift. The women said her husband spent his entire day either casting or reloading. She said he and his friends would take a pickup load of water melons to the desert and shoot them with 44mag pistols. I asked her if she sold the guns and she said no, our son took all the guns. I then asked why her son didn't take the bullets and she said he didn't reload. Next question, does he buy his ammo and she said no, he doesn't shoot at all or hunt. He just wanted what was worth money. I did buy some molds and dies. I went back later to buy some bullets. I couldn't find the house.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast