Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not a bad morning's work.

Boolit Master

Not a bad morning's work.

I been making sauerkraut for years. This morning, took it out of the crock where its been fermenting for a month. Kraut and caraway mix. Yum-Yum. About a year's worth if the grandson in Denver doesn't do too much damage.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

You better hide that stuff.
    There's people who will jump on that like a school of piranha.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy

Looks great. I've only had crock made sauerkraut once and it very good.

Banned
    That is a pretty sight right there.

Moderator Emeritus

reminds me.. I have rib tips in the freezer and some homemade kraut... crock pot them until the meat falls off the bone and the fat renders out... skim fat, pick meat off bones and cartilage, mix back into the cooked kraut and serve over mashed potatoes. Add a BIG pat f butter. Don't tell your cardiologist!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    reminds me.. I have rib tips in the freezer and some homemade kraut... crock pot them until the meat falls off the bone and the fat renders out... skim fat, pick meat off bones and cartilage, mix back into the cooked kraut and serve over mashed potatoes. Add a BIG pat f butter. Don't tell your cardiologist!
    Yep, you got it, for sure. Do the same thing with country style pork ribs or some good smoked sausage and the potatoes. Only difference, I like boiled red potatoes, small ones or quartered large ones.. To me, very few dishes are better.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Buddy
    My brother canned his sauerkraut today!

Boolit Man
    At our house growing up the kraut wasn't ready till the whole basement smelled like old gym socks. Nothing rivals mashed taters smothered in Sauerkraut with sausages. Comfort food at its finest..Good memories

Boolit Master
    You will never find sauerkraut in my house YUCK

Boolit Buddy
    Grandmommy used to make kraut in a crock. I wish I had been able to get her crock when the family cleaned out her house. I haven’t had home made kraut since the 1960s.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by tdoor4570 View Post
    You will never find sauerkraut in my house YUCK
    It is a very different taste warmed than cold.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

That stuff looks great! I have been wanting to try my own homemade kraut, you are inspiring my wife and me to do it, thanks for posting!

Oh I agree... I do it just like MaryB. Absolute best use of kraut in my opinion... and only the home grown kind, the stuff that comes in a tin can or plastic bag doesn't stand a chance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Experiments with freezing some this year. I was worried it would lose a lot of texture but it holds up well.

Boolit Master

Experiments with freezing some this year. I was worried it would lose a lot of texture but it holds up well.
    We never froze it, always canned it. Thanks for the info. Next year I may try a few jars like that. Do you use jars or another kind of container?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    It is a very different taste warmed than cold.
    still won't find it in my house

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    We never froze it, always canned it. Thanks for the info. Next year I may try a few jars like that. Do you use jars or another kind of container?
    Pint vacuum bags that I squeeze out most of the air then sealed(do NOT use the vac pump!). With my new chamber sealer I will be able to vacuum bag it for real. Jars work, get wide mouth though! I have used regular jars and not cracked one but luck will run out on that LOL

Back in the summer my neighbor invited a bunch of us over for his annual sauerkraut making festival. We spent the better part of a day shredding and mashing giant heads of cabbage, which he added salt to. We used 30 gal food-grade plastic containers to hold it. A couple of months ago he brought me three quarts of it. The first time I really liked kraut was when I had it fried while I was in the army in Germany (West Germany at that time.) Just rinse it a little, and heat it up in a skillet with an adequate amount of butter. I have been putting it on sandwiches, and serve it with hot German potato salad. It's all just vegetables, right?

Aside from his own use, my neighbor gives it to his helpers, and also supplies the local food banks and pantries.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

I would love to taste some real kraut once in my life.

Maybe more after that first tasting!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Krumhunger View Post
    Grandmommy used to make kraut in a crock. I wish I had been able to get her crock when the family cleaned out her house. I haven’t had home made kraut since the 1960s.
    You can make kraut in small batches in gallon pickle jars with a an airlock. Find the jars at Little League fields concessions or high school concessions. Locks can be found on Amazon or local brewery supply stores. Epoxy the airlock in the center of the lid, pack the kraut tightly in the jar, I estimate about 10-12 pounds, and let sit in a 60-70 degree environment for about 30-40 days, and you should have some good kraut.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast