RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: vtb credit

Boolit Master

vtb credit

The other day I posted about the vtb method of coating bullets that myself and AndyC had come up or so we thought. Last night I was messing around on youtuibe and came across a video from a guy (longdread 575). His video was made six years ago. He uses the same method we are using except he was doing multiple coats. This was the first time I had seen this video. I will not take credit for something that someone else has done. But, we have got the info out so if people want to try it they can.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master
    FWIW, we used a bottle inside a tumbler for cast bullets back in the 80's. Back then we were working with things like moly coatings and other stuff. Steel shot was used with the moly (or other coating materials) to 'press' it into the surface of the lead bullets.

We tried a bunch of different materials but none worked well by themselves. The moly worked when used with a conventional lube. We also used poly wads instead of gas checks (long neck or straight wall cases).

A lot of this was experimentation done by the cast bullet bench rest folks.

Boolit Master
    I just watched his video and is was very good for 6years ago knowledge. I think our new method, with using a boolit with a thermocouple inside, for temp management, is the best way to bake.

As far as how you get the powder to stick, that’s entirely trial and experiment, with different tools. I personally use an old Lyman viberator but have to clean extensively to change colors. The shake and bake method works well also, and I also do that with different cool whip containers, and such.

Boolit Master
    That's where the bottle part of vtb comes in. Put the bottle in the tumbler/vibrator and you don't have to clean it out every time. Different bottle for different coatings. And you can still use the machine for brass cleaning and such without 'purging' all the coating stuff.

We used bottles in the old days cause moly powder (or graphite or whatever we were 'testing') makes a real mess and is hard to clean out of a tumbler/vibrator. Same reason to use a bottle for PC. Only consideration is to choose a bottle that enhances the 'sticking' of the PC to the bullets.

Boolit Master
    After going back and looking at the video again AndyC and myself do deserve some of the credit. This guy was doing three coats when we can generally get it done in one. He was standing his bottle up and not laying it down because there is no mark on that bottle to indicate that it had been turning. We are both experimenting with different types of bottles to see if there is a difference.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!