Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USPS flat rate went way up

Boolit Grand Master

USPS flat rate went way up

WOW!!!!!!!!
    Small box went up $2.00 to $8.45!!!!!
    Big box is $22.00!!!!!!!!!
    Makes it kind of hard to sell stuff when the shipping is as much as the merchandise.
    Bet you it goes up again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    WOW!!!!!!!!Bet you it goes up again soon.
    I don't remember it ever going down.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

WOW!!!!!!!!
    I believe that The Small Flat Rate Boxes were $8.45 for a while now. At least, that was the case when I mailed something in December...

Banned
    WOW!!!!!!!!
    Makes it kind of hard to sell stuff when the shipping is as much as the merchandise.
    Still cheaper than driving it there yourself .

Been that way a few years. Last dies I sent out cost 5 and change in a regular old box. Costs bout 4/5 bucks for a mould. But folks seem to think they are doing you a favor if they only use FRBs.

Banned

Small boxes have been $8.30 in my neck of the woods for a few years now!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Been that way a few years. Last dies I sent out cost 5 and change in a regular old box. Costs bout 4/5 bucks for a mould. But folks seem to think they are doing you a favor if they only use FRBs.
    I received a box of cast yesterday, I feel like they did do me a favor . Seller charged me $9 because he used a flat rate box, I thought that was a great price to travel from the west to the east USA. . That little box was pretty heavy ,just saying .

Boolit Master
    my pay hasn't gone up none, how bout yours?

Boolit Buddy
    I have been surprised at how committed people on this board are to the frb. It's like it's assumed that it is cheaper than priority. Something like a mold that isn't a box of lead, depending on where it is going, will often be cheaper than the frb. You can usually ask the person at the p.o. to throw it on the scale and punch in a destination and tell you before you even package it to know which is cheaper. I recently even sent about 3 lbs of lead by priority mail for less than a small flat rate.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VariableRecall View Post
    I believe that The Small Flat Rate Boxes were $8.45 for a while now. At least, that was the case when I mailed something in December...
    I thought the flat rate envelope would be cheaper; so I mailed a buddy in Louisiana some of my cast bullets in one - nope $8.45 if I remember right.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master

I buy usps postage on Ebay, at discounted rates. If you use Ebay, you can 1) print another label, and 2) edit the address. Just sayin'.
    Another option is the regional priority boxes. They are not available in the PO but can be ordered free. By weight, they can be a cheaper option than flat rate for closer destinations.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Vendor Sponsor

WOW!!!!!!!!
    LOL when were they $6.45? 1980?

Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    If you use Ebay, you can 1) print another label, and 2) edit the address. Just sayin'.
    That's all fine and well until ebay sends an email to the original recipient saying they have a package coming
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

They went up from $8.30 to $8.45 about 2 weeks ago.

gmsharps

If they reach their destination.....they are still a bargain if you want to send as much lead as they will hold.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I think USPS lost the Amazon contract and UPS has it now. To some extent we may pay for Amazon throwing their weight around.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    I think the price break point is about 4 pounds for first class priority. Then you have to provide your own box which for some is not a problem. I have not bothered to check if there is any insurance included in first class mailing. The PO flat rate boxes are compatible with the postal equipment and should travel the system a little better than a personal creation of irregular shape. And for me, it is convenient.

Banned
    USPS didn't "lose" the Amazon contract but the overall situation is changing. Amazon had long partnered with USPS for "last mile" delivery via USPS but as Amazon expands their distribution network they reduce the number of local post offices in that system. Every time Amazon builds another local distribution center, they decrease their dependence on USPS for that "last mile" distribution.

UPS didn't "win" that contract either, Amazon has always used a number of delivery companies in addition to their own delivery.

USPS rate increases reflect the changing market and demands on the system. There are a LOT more packages being shipped in this COVID-19 era, Internet sales in general have increased dramatically and costs are going up.
    USPS is continuing to shift from a letter delivery oriented service to a package delivery oriented service. The price of fuel is going to go up (you can thank the liberals for that) and labor costs are going up (you can thank the liberals for that as well).

Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    I buy usps postage on Ebay, at discounted rates. If you use Ebay, you can 1) print another label, and 2) edit the address. Just sayin'.
    Another option is the regional priority boxes. They are not available in the PO but can be ordered free. By weight, they can be a cheaper option than flat rate for closer destinations.
    I hate PayPal, but you can buy & print postage from your PP account & get the same discounted rates as eBay. There is a sticky post about it here on this forum somewhere.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Rates are up in January again. If you are under a pound, don't use Priority mail, use First Class, and you can print tracking number. Several dollars cheaper if say 12 to 14 ounce package. Use Paypal Multiship, or ebay shipping if you are selling on ebay. Last of the three is the USPS website. You ARE paying for the "free" box when you use ANY of the std USPS boxes. The Flat rate boxes have built in increase as most of users pack heavy stuff in them. Price using your own box first and then a FRB. Just a few hints at USPS that I've found. BTW, USP and Fedex are cheaper if larger/heavier items that are 1. traveling a long way from you, 2. won't fit in FRB. If only a state or two away, USPS will most probably be close or cheaper. I've found if I ship from Arkansas to say Oregon or New Jersey, USPS can be Several dollars more for a 8 pound box, But closer, UPS and fedex's residential charge makes them higher.

Boolit Master
    WOW!!!!!!!!
    May be because you're in Hawaii. They've been $8.30 here in OKC for quite a while. Haven't shipped anything in a few weeks, so couldn't swear they haven't got up some, but I've never paid less than $8:30 for a SFRB. Medium box is $15.05, IIRC, last I shipped something in that. Large was $22.05, likewise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast