Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Saeco Model 24 Casting Furnace and Mold Rest

Boolit Mold

Saeco Model 24 Casting Furnace and Mold Rest

This is my first post to this site and I cannot get the pictures to orient correctly, sorry.

I have used a Saeco Model 24 for casting for about 50 years. The one pictured is my second and I have a third in reserve. Years ago, before Redding bought out Saeco, I was able to purchase the mold guide pictured. The bracket attaching the guide to the vertical posts is made of steel with screws to adjust height. The actual mold guide is aluminum and pivots on a steel pin. So, the guide is adjustable for height and somewhat adjustable for left to right alignment. The aluminum guide fits the Lyman four cavity steel molds just right between the guide rails. More modern aluminum molds are usually too wide to fit between the guide edges but the rest still works as a rest.

As stated in other posts about the Saeco pot, the spout is hard to see unless elevated as I have done using an old wood ammo box (probably should have used something else....) I have tried to find another of these Saeco mold rests and even called Saeco/Redding but was told that Redding decided not to make the Saeco pot or accessories when they purchased Saeco....too bad as it is a reliable melting pot and well built.

If anyone can tell me where to buy another rest, I would appreciate it. Someone good with working metal could probably easily construct one. Also, if the pictures I posted did indeed appear tipped 90 degrees to the left, I would greatly appreciate someone telling me where the little button is that allows rotation of the image.

Motty Special
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saeco Pot (4).jpg   Saeco Pot (5).jpg   Saeco Pot (2).jpg   Saeco Pot.jpg  

Boolit Bub

G'day from Downunder

G'day , that rest set up is just like the one that I had on my Lyman casting pot so they were available it might be worth sending them an email about availability.

Regards Paul.

Banned
    Welcome to CB MS. NOE makes a guide that fits the lee 4-20, you might be able to adapt that to work for you.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the reply Paul and good suggestion to try Lyman for a mold rest. I do now remember they offered a pot identical to the Saeco.

It is interesting that the first reply I received on my first post to this site is from Australia. I took the user name of Motty Special from a target rifle made by Harry Motton. I believe he was a gunsmith from either Australia or New Zealand, maybe in the 1920's or 1930's.

I believe the rifle I have is made from a Lee Metford Mark 1. It has the stacked arms logo of BSA and marked Motty Special just behind the rear barrel band and also marked 'Made for Harry Motton'. It is in 303 British (big surprise...), has a Mues aperature sight and shoots Lyman 314299's very nicely.....Anyone have any other information about Motty Special rifles? Would like to hear from you.

Thanks, Craig

Boolit Mold
    Thanks GRMPS. I will look into NOE for that. I do like the recent mold I got from NOE!

Craig

Boolit Master

Being a machinist(retired) I was able to make one for mine.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master
    Think your mold guide is a Lyman, had the same ones on my Lyman and SAECO pots. They are no longer made and finding one is unlikely except on E-bay and even then they do not show up very often.