Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Best pb for 00 buckshot?

Boolit Mold

Best pb for 00 buckshot?

Hi all, is coww okay for 00 buckshot or mix of coww and soww? New to buckshot casting. Thanks Mac

Straight COWW is as far as I know about perfect.

But I have cast buck from 50% COWW + 50% soft lead, added maybe 1% pewter.

Still pretty tough. But if you have the COWW to spare that is the way to go IMO.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    I have always used my softest lead for buckshot and sabots and black powder shooting. but need to do some testing to see how much soft lead shot gets deformed.
    wish I had a way to nickel plate buckshot to add strength to the heaviest most dense shot I can cast.

Boolit Master

I use a 50/50 mix of linotype and pure lead to make my buckshot. Lino is 84-12-4, so my alloy comes out at 6% antimony. That makes really hard shot, especially when I water-drop the pellets. BHN is around 24. Hard shot stays rounder than soft shot, ask the AAA trap shooters what they shoot, and why. Round shot pellets stay in the pattern, out-of-round pellets fly outside. Hard shot = tighter patterns.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Mold
    Ok guys that is clear as muddy water. Some say hard, some soft. Thanks for the info though. Mac

Boolit Grand Master

COWW will not deform as easily as soft. Better penetration and will fly straighter if not deformed.
    Air cooled is harder than factory buck and both will drop larger beasts if the range is not excessive for the load and still maintains sufficient impact velocity.
    If I am going to pop corn crunchers under 25 yards and my barrel will group all my buck into 12 inches it will not matter what the buck is made off.
    Past 25 yards buck starts loosing velocity fast and a harder ball that will not expand will penetrate deeper. Thus WW is a better choice for me.
    If I am going to shoot WW buck I am going to be wanting an improved cylinder choke on a none steel barrel. Old shotgun barrels and thin ones will stress split.
    My 1928 made Iver Johnson 32" Special Trap will never get WW buck shot through it.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

I have always used coww's for my 00 and 000 buck works great

Boolit Mold
    Thanks guys, I was just trying to find a use for the soww's.

Boolit Grand Master

Nobody who has done much pattern testing would ever recommend soft shot. COWW's are fantastic for buckshot. SOWW's are not.

Boolit Master
    I’ve only cast 0000 , 00000 and 000000 . Seems to me I use straight WW’s and a couple times I might have added some Lino . But all my first try’s at 0000 and 00000 were straight WW’s water dropped then rolled . And my loads with 0000 and 00000 shot very well on paper from several Parker 10 gauge doubles as well as killing a deer or two with both sizes . The 000000 is just for my 8 gauge and while it is adequate on paper I’ve not fired it at a four legged brown cloven hooved rat , YET !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

I cast my 00 & 000 buckshot from linotype, gets good penetration that way!
    wear your scars with pride, a scarless man hasn't felt the hardship of life......

Boolit Master

I prefer FREE for mine!!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Mold
    Well Geezer you should have been the first to chime in!! All of my PB has been FREE. Why on earth would anyone have to pay for something like that??