MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Looking for someone to ream cylinder throats

Boolit Mold

Looking for someone to ream cylinder throats

Hello everyone,I was wondering if there is fellow around who could ream a couple ruger bisley 45 colt cylinders, I was told there was a dougguy or someone offering this service,I was going to order reamer from brownells but wasn’t sure if I needed the pilot kit as well,was hoping there was a member that might just provide this service and thanks in advance

Boolit Master
    DougGuy is the fella you want. He has done several cylinders for me and always does a first rate job.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master

I second DougGuy. He's done several cylinders for me with excellent results and very reasonable prices. Some good news is that he no longer uses reamers, but accomplishes a better job with a Sunnen hone. So far as I know, he's the only one in business who uses a hone. Throats are now rounder, straighter and smoother than before.

Vendor Sponsor

Jake, click the link in my sig at the bottom of this message and send me a PM, a reamer can't do what the Sunnen hone does...

OR, click the Facebook link below this message and it will take you to the Cylinderhone facebook page where you can also send a message from there.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 02-11-2021 at 04:24 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    +1 for DougGuy. He does a great job. He did a Redhawk for me! Very good work.
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad

Boolit Bub
    can someone send me DougGuy's contact info. never mind If I would have looked I would have seen it
    Thanks Ron

Boolit Master

Another +1 for DougGuy
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Grand Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0462.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	277428
    The above shows 5 .430 diameter bullets sticking out of the cylinder on my POC S&W 69. Doug honed my cylinder so that all five throats were as I close to identical as I could measure, and all were .4315. His work, (unlike that crappy barreled Smith) is superlative and his price was very reasonable. I can not recommend him too heartily.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks to all I had done and ordered the throat reamer and forcing cone cutter from 4d rentals,but I may have Doug just hone them and I’ll do the forcing cone,thanks again Jake

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by JakeLeg View Post
    Thanks to all I had done and ordered the throat reamer and forcing cone cutter from 4d rentals,but I may have Doug just hone them and I’ll do the forcing cone,thanks again Jake
    I have no doubt you would be better off going this route. Also drop in a Wolff 30oz. trigger return spring and send the hammer to have the height of the pad reduced = removes pretty much most if not all of the creep in the trigger.

Cylinder throats honed + forcing cone recut on 11 degrees + hammer pad shortened + Wolff 30oz. trigger return spring are the best and most affordable improvements, you will get about 95% of the gain out of just these four, anything done above and beyond this is only going to gain incrementally and cost a LOT more.

Edit: A note on using the Brownell's Forcing Cone Cutter Kit. At first you will think you are ripping the guts out of the barrel as it negotiates the leade in to the rifling, go slow and check often. If you turn the cutter until it feels totally smooth you might have gone too far. I usually take it until the new cut reaches the old cut at the barrel face but NO larger.

Instead of using the brass lap that comes in the kit with compound on it, which incidentally does nothing but create some new radial grooves (which you just got rid of by recutting it) so I use a piece of green scotchbrite, a WELL WORN and thinned from use piece about 1" x 5/8" I poke a hole in it, slide the rod into the barrel, thread the scotchbrite onto the rod, then put the brass lap on there, push the whole works into the barrel tightly, and turn it only a few partial turns, now it's nicely polished. Look a there I'm giving away my "trade secrets" LOL..
    Last edited by DougGuy; 02-12-2021 at 03:20 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

DougGuy A++++

Boolit Master
    Definitely DougGuy. He fixed a 45 too-tight 45 Blackhawk cylinder for me to equalize its throats with its twin. He also fixed a K22 cylinder that was so undersized I was having to thumb the ammo hard to get it to seat in the chambers.
    Ed <><

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Doug and everyone I really appreciate all the tips,what a great bunch of guys around here,I hope this will really help out,thanks again

Boolit Mold
    Here is my baby's performance after Doug worked her over. Ruger Redhawk .45 Colt. shooting offhand at around 20 yards. If I get a revolver Doug works it over. Simple as that.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk