Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Win 94AE .45 Colt Load help wanted

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks! The 15 test rounds I've prepared for my first range visit are 1.599" oal. Or, to use technical jargon, just a bare smidgen less than 1.6". I'm encouraged/excited. My dummy rounds seem to function fine, but the pudding's proof, indeed, will be at range.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45 Colt case.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	279250
    geo

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    The 45 Colt in the Winchester or any other lever action rifle is a problematic cartridge for several reasons in which why it was never used in original anything lever gun. Some wise guy thought a sloppy chamber and loose tolerances in the feeding of the problematic cartridge would be popular and it turns out he was right. You can expect bulged brass do keep it separate from other 45 Colt brass used for proper chambers. Old steel dies are reported to remove the Colt Bulge from the base. I have found this to be true but I do keep my brass separated . .452” bullets will be to small closer to .456” and fill the throat, measure a fired case mouth and you’ll see where you need to be. Big lube groove boolit and Ben’s Red lube will put smiles on your face
    I have an early 2000s vintage 45 Colt W94AE Trapper and this is my experience as well. Standard bore dimensions but very large chamber and throat. I can finger seat a 457 bullet in a fired case. It shoots jacketed well and .452-.454 gas checked bullets reasonably well, but I didn't have much success with plain based cast until I started sizing and loading them at .456/.457. I keep the cases seperated and only light neck size them.

Kind of a blessing in disguise in a way, as there are plenty of 'undersize' (cast at .456/.457), lightweight (300-340gr) 45/70 mold blocks out there and those have worked well for me in this carbine.

I like the 454190 for a general range load. I have a set of blocks that will drop them at .456. I like the Lyman 457191 and 457122 Gould Hollow Point for heavier loads.

I have never had loading or feeding issues with mine.

-ktw

Boolit Master

I had a 94 AE Trapper prior to getting a Winoko 1892. The only thing I did to the 94 after deleting the rebounding hammer triming springs and trigger job was breaking the end of the breach about .020-.030 and rounding/ polishing it. It would eat anything, particularly 255 Keiths.

Boolit Master
    i have a 357 ae win since 98 .ive broken a few ejectors .i did have a marlin 1894cs in 357 but my win is so much more accurate .

Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    Congratulations on your fine addition for your collection. I have found that the way the lever is operated has as much to do with jamming as the bullet choice. The lever has to be operated briskly and completely for mine to load properly. The lyman 454190 works well for me sized .454.
    He hits the nail on the head. You can most likely get by crimping that Lyman bullet in the first top lube groove for your 1894. And sizing to .454 or shooting it unsized is a plus. Also, you may find that you only have to size about 1/2 way down the case if the ammo is shot in the same gun. Modern 45 colt dies overly work the case because they make it sized for .452 bullets. Just my .02.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12