Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Generator ??

Boolit Master

Generator ??

Got a Coleman that sat for 2 years. Looks brand new but won't start(I did hear it run at the previous owners) . Probably not that much to get it running at the local small engine shop, but several folks have told me the generator itself goes bad from sitting.
    True that ? Why would just sitting there make it go bad ? Anyway, 50 bucks to get the Suzuki engine running is one thing, but useless if the generating part is toast. It's a 6500 max output Coleman brand.

Boolit Grand Master
    Never heard of that before. I had a generator that sat for 10 years empty of fuel. Put gas (non-alcohol)in it and it started after about 4 pulls and generator worked just fine.

If it had any fuel in the carb. it probably needs its jet cleaned.

The dymo should be fine.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I was reading the needed to be started and ran periodically. Use seafoam to stabalize the gas.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

BS
    I have a Harbor Freight Generator that sat around in a barn for 4 years
    With out any gas or oil in it
    I couldn't get it to turn over as the pistons had seized up
    I pulled the plugs and put penetrating oil in and left it sit a few days

It now runs great
    That generator cost me a can of penetrating oil and I still have 95% of the oil left

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Banned
    Well actually its true , sort of .

When you get the engine running you might have to excite the field again .
    Its rather simple to do , some generators excite rather easily . you can plug a drill into it pull the trigger on the drill and spin the chuck backwards a few times .
    Some might need a bit of actual voltage to excite .. Give it a Google and you'll see its no big deal

USMC 77, USRA 79

i am looking at the new multi fuel types... propane does not cause the carb to get all gunked up from sitting I hear.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Have a honda that set for at least 10 years. ran carburator cleaner thru it and now it runs fine The problem is the fuel not the generator. in my opinion.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    i am looking at the new multi fuel types... propane does not cause the carb to get all gunked up from sitting I hear.
    Propane is much more expensive than gasoline.

If you want to keep a carburetor clean, use 100% gasoline treated with a fuel stabilizer. Then, run the generator out of gas before putting it away. If you cannot run the generator out of gas, at least run the thing every couple of months for 20-30 minutes to get fresh fuel in the bowl.

Boolit Master
    Probably due to the ethanol mixed in with the gas. Float get corroded and will cause the gas to leak out of the weep hole. Been there and had to take it to a shop that does repair work. Take the generator outside and pour some gas in the tank. Then look to see if you have any gas leaks. Don't need much gas. Probably could get a repair kit and do the job yourself. My gasoline generator weights a lot and getting too old to keep moving it around. Put in a Generac propane generator. Works great. Frank

Boolit Master
    If the engine won't start it's almost certainly a gas problem. First, check the smell of the gas. If it really stinks, not like gas, the gas is bad enough that it won't run and needs to be drained and replaced. Next, if it hasn't run in two years and it was left with gas in the carb, the carb bowl and main jet needs cleaned out. Gas evaporates in the carb and more gas is fed into the bowl which continues to evaporate. Some of the additives in the gas don't evaporate and continue to build up in the carb until it ends up being a thick goo that will plug the main jet sometimes leaving a 1/4" or so of goo in the bottom of the float bowl. I'm not familiar with the Suzuki carb so I'm not sure how the float bowl comes off but that is where I would start looking for the no start. Another thing to check is put a short squirt of starter fluid in the throat of the carb and try to start it. If it fires up for a short spurt and dies, you can bet the carb or fuel line is plugged. Do not use any high pressure air in any part of the carb unless the float bowl is removed as it will destroy the float.

Chances are about 100 to 1 that the generator ( dynamo) is fine. When you get it running, do not leave fuel in the tank for long periods of time without adding Stabil. Even then if there is a fuel shut off turn the fuel off and with out a load on the generator, let it run out of fuel. Hot weather can spoil gas fairly quickly and the smaller the container the quicker.

Propane not being a liquid at atmospheric pressure is already evaporated and does not have additives to leave in your carb. It does not go into the carb bowl like gasoline and cannot plug a carb.

I have never seen ethanol be a problem in gasoline except for in some plastic filters. Ethanol does dissolve some plastic and some newer floats are plastic.

Most modern generators are self excited and don't need anything other than to be spun up.
    Last edited by rbuck351; 02-10-2021 at 02:00 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    Yes, you are correct. However, if you have 2 freezers full of food, plus 2 refrigerators, who cares? Especially if they have food not so easily replaced, such as tuna, caught wild and in vacuum sealing, venison, vacuum sealing, etc. Not much of a worry about the cost of the fuel. Natural gas runs about the same or a little more. I'm good with that.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I agree that there shouldn’t be anything wrong with the part generating the electricity. I did have a generator that wouldn’t start by hand until a good battery was installed. Also, it’s best to drain gas out of all small engines, if they aren’t to be run often. Especially, two cycle ones.

I sure like mine.
    It burns about a gallon an hour of either fuel, but will run all of the 120V house circuits.
    We loose power here sometimes, but so far, not more than a day.
    When that happens, I run it about one hour every 3 hours to keep the refrigerators cold.
    With the dual fuel, I can run it several hours on propane, shut it off, put it away, and forget about it.
    For the added hassle of a gasoline engine--- the way we use it, its worth a few extra bucks to run mostly propane.

If we lost power for an extended period, and I run out of propane;
    I've got some extra gas cans, then there's the gas in the car, truck, and boat.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I've had lawnmowers that croaked due to gas in the carb, I worked on both using the usual remedies and couldn't get either to work. My Harley Sportster had a shut off valve for the fuel and I would run it dry every time. Somebody 'borrowed' it once while I was out west and the Wife wasn't home. He got a free colonoscopy, courtesy of my Wife. Fortunately, my Wife's Dad is a Harley guy, and when he moved in he sorted it out. The heritage is fuel injected, not a problem.

I have 2 Honda generators, neither have fuel cut off valves. Both get started first of the month, as does my Brother's. I even took to buying electric tools such as hedge trimmer, etc. 3K generator in CO, 1K in CA, both working fine. Power goes out more in CA than CO, and when it does, it can be days on end. In CA, the power company shuts off grids when the winds get too high to prevent fires, and don't bother to warn the public.

A machinist friend lost all of his CNC machines due to that, he was off grid in the hills, now he is off grid in town. He also sued the power company due to damages. Another friend is a caregiver for an elderly woman 80 miles away. She had just done her monthly shopping and so my friend went down with huge ice chests, one was mine, and a generator (mine) so she didn't lose her life, due to life sustaining medical equipment needing power. Darnedest thing, a 'biofuel' company couldn't distribute fuel as the pumps need power. That, and all of the electric car owners who couldn't charge their status symbol cars.

I once noticed the power was off, checked my brother's house around the corner, him too. Battery backup power for his computers only lasts 20 minutes, power was back on in 10. My oldest daughter's house less than a mile away was out, and she heats her old but paid for house with a pellet stove, which needs electricity.

My 1k generator will only run one thing at a time, the house was cold (50) and the kids were all cuddled in their blankies my wife made them. I asked 'what first?' and she replied 'COFFEE!' Coffee made, thermos filled, check. I told her to get out what food she needed for the day and keep the fridge cold. Pellet stove started. I took out the 'penny stove' I had made with the grand kids for a science project and we fired it up to make oatmeal and hot cocoa for the grand kids.

Once the house was warmed, I plugged in the fridge. 2 minutes after it kicked off, the power was back on. My daughter turned off the lights and let the candles burn, and then smiled at me. That generator ran for 6+ hours, and did not use the full 6/10ths gallon it holds.

For a time back in the early 1990s, I had limited visitation and my girls were over during which another power outage occurred. My camp stove was shot so I made a candle wick from kite string and used some paraffin wax so we had light. My girls were 9 and 6, and they knew I was a boy scout years ago. I braided up a bigger wick and made a paraffin burner.

I didn't have a pot stove base so my oldest kept it steady over a bent wire hanger as it wouldn't stay up by itself. As she monitored the tomato soup, her younger sister and I assembled some sandwiches, As we sat down for our 'roughing it' dinner, youngest one says 'you know the power is going to come back on.' And as it did, my oldest walked over and turned off the light so we could enjoy a candle lit dinner. I knew I had seen that smile before

Generators for some are a way of life. Keeping them running needs to be routine schedule of running and using them. Non ethanol costs less than the repair bill, but if not available, Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas can be your friend. I run my HAM radios from the sun, and try to keep things charged from that rather than the wall.

A penny stove is a fun project for kids (Google videos), not too big to keep in the emergency bag of food, water, blankets in the car, and an empty tin can of appropriate size with holes appropriately drilled makes a better pot stand than a wire hanger. It is big enough to hold the penny stove and rubbing alcohol which fuels the stove. Roads get closed in N CA a lot, we were once an island for a week as the 3 roads coming into the county were closed due to a ricslide to the east, mudslide to the north, and flooding to the south.

Off topic (or is it?) a Dutch Oven can be a life saver, I have several, and never pass on anything cast iron at a garage sale, they make a great little fire pit for cooking over and roasting marshmallows with the grand kids. I have to cast one from bronze for my Wife, Doc says she can't eat from cast iron any longer. She was anemic for 40 years until she flipped a switch or something and has dangerously high iron since cancer surgery. She beat cancer but she still misses cooking a roast or chili in, or having me cook scratch biscuits in a dutch oven while camping.
    Last edited by fcvan; 02-10-2021 at 05:48 AM.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post

If you want to keep a carburetor clean, use 100% gasoline treated with a fuel stabilizer. Then, run the generator out of gas before putting it away. If you cannot run the generator out of gas, at least run the thing every couple of months for 20-30 minutes to get fresh fuel in the bowl.
    Yup what I do. I run mine twice a year if I remember. Always drain, learned that long ago the hard way. I did pick up a multi fuel carb kit for it. Never installed it but converts to propane. I have a whole house generator now but my contractor generator is an easy 20+ years old and still runs great.

Boolit Grand Master
    Backup power is a nice thing to have. Where I live, there is no Natural Gas, so we run propane. If purchased in bulk, propane is less expensive than gas and there is never a carb issue.

The issue with propane is vaporization rate as I live where it can get cold....negative 9 this morning.

Marko....I had a dual fuel Champion and it is a good unit. Last year, went with a whole house unit and it has run twice. Nice not worry about it starting, or fueling it up, or running it dry.
    Don Verna

Boolit Bub

Generator ??

My most recent generator experience was mixed. I live in one of the hardest hit areas for hurricanes Laura and delta.

We didn’t have power for a month for Laura. I had an old generator I had bought for a storm almost 10 years ago that had 3 hours on it from just starting it periodically. Worked fine until one day it wouldn’t start and the motor would just free wheel. Had less than 50 hrs.
    I neglected to change the oil (which was still break in oil) and it gummed up the valves and stuck them open. Replacing the head fixed it up.

Change your oil every 50-100 hrs. Yes if you are running all day that’s ever 2-4 days. I now have a Honda that’s quiet to run our camper off of. Much better. Our house is too big to run off a small generator, the 5ton ac takes way too much power. When it’s around 100 degrees and 90% humidity you need ac.

More than likely just clean the carb and you will be fine op. Just keep the oil changed.

Edit:
    In the event of a long outage. Try to buy 300 gallon totes of gas. Much cheaper and less hassle than filling up cans every day at the gas station waiting in lines.

On a side note. I started putting the marine stabil in all my gas cans when I fill them up. That way no matter if it’s the mower sxs generator if it sits for a while no big deal. I only run no ethanol fuel in my small engines and try to run it all the time in our cars. Hard to find super in no ethanol for my old rover though.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mrmachinist; 02-10-2021 at 11:53 AM.

Banned

keep in mind that propane is harder to ignite and the choke doesnt work like it would with gas. For the most part chokes are just opening another gas jet to give them more fuel these days. My gen i gas/propane. It has a built in gas tank and a line going out to my big propane hog. It will make for two problems. If I shut off the propane at the tank going to it it takes quite a bit to bleed out the air. Where the propane doesnt use a choke mine has a button to push to kind of shove more propane in and you have to hold that for some time to bleed the air out. Now even if theres propane right up to the generator propane is just harder to start cold then gas. So what i do is start my gen on gas let it run for a minute or two then open the propane up to it. When it starts stumbling from being rich from having both gas and propane at the same time i then close the fuel petcock on the gas tank and it will run the gas out of the line and propane will take over. Ive sat out in zero temps pulling and pulling on the recoil trying to start it on propane and it will flat wear you out. Now the one we have at camp is a honda set up specifically for propane. It has a 12 vt battery and electric start and you flip an on switch and hit the start button in camp to start it. It has an automatic enrichment system built into it for cold starts. Mine started out a 6k gasoline gen and i put a conversion on it to run either. I also have it set up where it will run gas, propane from my hog or i can hook a hose to a 100 or 20 lb tank and run it like that. Good thing about running them on propane is like was said theres no carb fouling and your oil stays much cleaner. I always run the carb out of gas and leave it that way and only keep a gallon of gas in it to get it started in cold weather and make sure at least once a year i run it dry and put new gas in it> Premium non alcohol with a bit of stabil. They also sell tri fuel set ups that allow gasoline/propane/natural gas all to work. As to generators going bad sitting. Well i pulled some gen sets out of lighthouses that were decomissioned and some that had be swapped over to power grid power and some of those gens sat for 10-20 years. We would take them in drain the diesel out of them clean the injectors and every one of them fired up and put out power. I just started my old 900 watt honda last year for the first time in 5 years. gas had evaportated right out of it. Put new gas a new plug and its started on the 3rd pull and worked perfect. Ive heard of generators needing to be excited after sitting but have never seen it. We were taught if it happned to plug a drill into the 110 plug and manually spin the drill and it will produce a current back into the generator that will excite it.

USMC 77, USRA 79

its not a problem of propane being more expensive. it isnt here. problem is when we loose power, and its many times a year. i need the thing fueled up ready to go especially in deep winter. i cant "put it away" like somebody that is going out for a weekend romp. its gotta be ready to roll all the time. our tiny grid is way less stable and the weather way more severe. i am hoping that propane will be the answer. a 10 gallon should bottle should run the thing for several days under partial load with just internet, and computer gear for the home business. right now I am running a battery bank with associated power filters and so forth, and I can make it with just the internet and a laptop for about 6 hours if I am super careful.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast