RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load DataLee PrecisionPBcastcoWideners
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Homemade bullet puller

Boolit Master

Homemade bullet puller

I made a homemade bullet puller A wack a mole style. I used regular pvc for all the parts except the spacer I had to make . I use the lee primer shell holder that is flat that fits in there priming tool.the bullet fits inside the pvc tubing with the shell holder inserted in the shell holder.then the spacer fits on top to take up the space.The spacer I just sanded down a regular piece of pvc pipe to fit inside the t of the pvc.then I put the pvc cap on top. It works good. I guess Iam to cheep to spend the 24$ dollars for a store bought one.

Boolit Master
    Forgot to add the picture.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A543AEE9-8AA9-4BCB-8950-32DFE4DF1897.jpeg 
Views:	129 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	277277

Boolit Grand Master
    PVC is going to shatter IMO.
    Don Verna

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    PVC is going to shatter IMO.
    Looks like it already did!

Boolit Master
    It hasent broken yet. I made it over 15 years ago . Also I really don’t use it much

Boolit Grand Master
    A 2x2 or 2x4 also works with just a hole drilled for the cartridge, by hitting it over a block. With a rimmed round, you don't even need a shell holder.

Not my favorite way to pull projectiles, but it will eventually work.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Jniedbalski View Post
    It hasent broken yet. I made it over 15 years ago . Also I really don’t use it much
    If it hasn’t broken on you yet, you’re probably good to go with it. If it does break or someone else wants to make one, I would try and find that same fitting in nylon.

Boolit Grand Master

No criticism here. If it works, it ain't stupid...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    If it does break I just have to get in my box of pvc parts. It’s just a tee ,two caps and a pice of pvc pipe for the Handel. Probably 1.50 $ worth of parts

Boolit Master
    A long time ago I bought a yellow hard plastic one. It used a soft nylon cap over a washer with a shell-holder type cutout. It was cheaper than the green one. I shattered it after about 100 whacks. Then I got the bright idea to weld one up out of pipe. I made holder washers in the sizes that didn't come with the yellow one and put a chunk of conveyor belt punched out with a gasket punch in the end of it and used pipe caps for the top and bottom. Then I got a good deal on the green one and never looked back. It served me for four decades and finally cracked. The LGS had a used one for half the price of a new one, so I bought it although a previous owner had cut out the little molded-in window. I taped over the window and it's still going strong. If I hit the lottery I'll buy a new one...
    Ed <><

Boolit Grand Master

FWIW; I don't whack my inertia bullet puller on steel or concrete and the first one lasted close to 30 years (and one project I pulled a bunch [200?] military surplus 30-06 rounds). I use a lead ingot, my bullet alloy, as an anvil. The lead does not soften the blow enough to make pulling more difficult, the vibration through the handle is way softer and it's much quieter (I once tried a comparison whacking a steel anvil vs my lead anvil and the lead didn't take more hits, average, to dislodge the bullets).

Making your own tools is great! Thinking also gives us new products that otherwise would never have been tried if everyone just went to the store and bought commercial products (metal preserver for bullet lube, beer/soda cans for gas checks, lapidary rock tumblers for cleaning brass, and I wonder what reloaders did before impact tools were designed/used? Pliers?)...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Banned
    The first bullet puller that I am aware of is for the Belding & Mull reloader from 1924. It uses two smooth jaws that clamp around the bullet. Back then pulling and repurposing surplus WW1 30-06 ammo was a big deal.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jniedbalski View Post
    Forgot to add the picture.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A543AEE9-8AA9-4BCB-8950-32DFE4DF1897.jpeg 
Views:	129 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	277277
    That looks like one of those clay pipes Dixie gun works used to sell

Boolit Master
    I'm still using the rcbs one I bought about 50 years ago and have been beating on steel or concrete for it's entire life. I believe holding the very end of the handle lightly with thumb and fore finger only lets it rebound rapidly adding to the pulling power and doesn't stress the handle as it would if you drive the handle like a hammer driving nails. My loading buddy bent the aluminum handles on two and broke a plastic one by holding the handle firmly. After watching him, it occurred to me that the nail driving method might be what breaks or bends them.
    I do know that swinging the puller very fast and letting it rebound as much as possible pulls bullets better.

Boolit Buddy
    I do the same as rbuck351 and agree that the rebound is very important. If my green one ever breaks maybe I will try making a white one. It will be a time vs money decision if the time ever comes because the retail product isn't all that much. Good job coming up with the PVC version though.

Boolit Master
    I jist used to use my teeth!

Now I put’ Em in a glass besides me at night.

Nawhhh I just use pliers and a shell holder or primer tool.
    The powder all sticks to the lube in a inertia puller and then it gums up me powder thrower after that.

Boolit Master
    If you do not want to save the bullets.A shell holder spacer made by hornady for short bullets,a body washer with a 1/2 in hole to set on top of the press keeps from damaging the threads and a pliers or vice grip works great.Again not the best for reusing bullets but it works good.