WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Casting place

Beekeeper

Casting place

Been reading all of the posts but havent seen anything so decided to ask.
    Only have a garage to work in and with the cold and rain(and snow) can't open the door to the outside.
    Want to use the time casting but am not sure the ramifications of doing it in a closed garage.
    Figure I need some type of exhaust ventilation for lead fumes and fluxing fumes.
    Anyone got a good setup their willing to share a pic or diagrahm of

survivalists Dad

I too am interested in this....Have a little shop, but on cold and/or rainy days I don't wanna cast outside...
    www.glockpost.com
    Tell them I sent ya.

Nice!!!
    www.glockpost.com
    Tell them I sent ya.

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah, Pat has a fair to middlin' setup.

Sweeeet indoor setup. If I had something like that there's no tellin' how many boolits I would have cast up
    NRA Life Member

"The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed that Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation, where the Governments are afraid to trust their people with arms." - James Madison.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've been casting indoors for 35 years, and no ventilation unless it's 75 degrees. I do most of my casting during the Fall and Winter. My blood lead levels are normal.

Hand to mouth is the most common source of lead ingestion. Keep your hands away from your mouth, don't eat or drink while casting. and be careful with dross and lead dust.

I use Marvelux for fluxing to avoid the smoke.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

In Remebrance

Unless your alloy is super hot it shouldn't be a problem. You're probably in greater "danger" from the flux fumes than lead.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I have a 12x24 shop that is used for several things including casting. Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy a attic exhaust fan that is designed to go into a gable. The price is about $35 and they are wired for 110. It comes with an adjustable stat. I cut a hole in the side of my shop and installed it. When casting, I turn it on above the bench and have a box fan blowing at me from 8ft away. All the fumes go outside for a $35 investment.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Grand Master

I also, smelt out doors only. Casting is done indoors under a salvaged range hood with outside exhaust. it's a temporary set up that lets me use a work bench for other things. My lead levels are low/normal.
    As stated above, clean hands are the best way to avoid problems. Anylead that doesn't have a bright appearance has oxides. Handeling that, is where the contamination starts. This is the source of the dust on top of your smelt/melt. This dust is easily made airborn and inhaled. KEEP YOUR WHOLE AREA CLEAN.
    If you TOTALLY avoid the airborn dust, and wash your hands before SMOKING, EATING, etc, you are as safe as if you didn't cast.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    They have a moist towel that I bought and keep a jar of on my casting table called lead away. They remove lead and other un wanted metals from the hands.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by survivalists Dad View Post
    Figure I need some type of exhaust ventilation for lead fumes and fluxing fumes.
    Smoke from fluxing can be annoying, but not particularly deadly. Some fluxing agents produce less smoke.
    I think the more important question...when it comes to ventilation...is what kind of 'energy' you are using. An electric pot is a non-issue, but any form of 'fuel' needs an escape for the gaseous byproduct(s).

Raising a garage door about an inch should suffice as carbon monoxide is heavy and will flow out. It would help if the door is on the leeward (loo'-ard) side of the building.
    CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 12-26-2008 at 01:58 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.