Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock Model 43 durability

Banned

Glock Model 43 durability

The Glock 43 has been out for a few years now. While I don't own one, I know lots of folks that do own the G43.
    I've yet see one break or wear severely but I thought I would cast a broader net.

Anyone have information on Glock 43 durability? Good or Bad?

Boolit Grand Master
    One of the guys at the gun club has one that he claims has had 1200 rounds in the last year and a half. He seems content with it and has no complaints. But I have no personal experience with it. They are not available for sale in CA thanks to Ole Horizontal--with an accent on the first syllable--and that is where I lived until my retirement in 2020.
    For me, the Glock 43 fills no need that I didn't already have scratched. I have a Kahr CW9, and an S&W Shield which more than adequately meet my compact 9 mm needs.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    My G43 fits my needs perfectly. As reliable as a hammer, I carry it in the summer with a Blackhawk tecgrip pocket holster in the back pocket of my cut-offs when I am walking the dog around my place. Here in Arkansas about all you have to worry about would be feral hogs and feral dogs. Course they are unobtainable now, but I tried several different brands of 9mm, and mine liked the Sig Sauer 115 grain V crown Critical Defense best. That figured since it was the most expensive at the time.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Banned
    Prior to the introduction of the G43, I recommended the Micro Kahr pistols in 9mm.
    Glock FINALLY made a compact single stack 9mm. I think they missed a lot of sales because they were so slow to bring out a single stack 9.

I took a different path many moons ago and dedicated to the snubnose DAO revolver concept. I'm too set in my ways now to change.

I've handled the G43, shot a couple but I don't own one. I've yet to find anyone that has a negative comment about the pistol.

Boolit Man
    My EDC is a 43. I have put thousands of rounds through it and have had zero issues. I always compare it to an AK doesn't seem to matter what you do to it, it always go bang when you pull the trigger.

I have bigger hands so the only thing I did was buy the +2 floor plate so my pinky had something to get a grip on.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Prior to the introduction of the G43, I recommended the Micro Kahr pistols in 9mm.
    Glock FINALLY made a compact single stack 9mm. I think they missed a lot of sales because they were so slow to bring out a single stack 9.

I took a different path many moons ago and dedicated to the snubnose DAO revolver concept. I'm too set in my ways now to change.

I've handled the G43, shot a couple but I don't own one. I've yet to find anyone that has a negative comment about the pistol.

The only negative thing people have to say about it is that they took too long to bring it to market, should've released it at least a year earlier same time as the G42. The funny thing is that when the G42 was released there were people that claimed to have seen stacks and stacks of single stack 9's in the warehouse and that they would be released soon. Of course everyone called them crazy at the time. . .

I have one and its had no issues. It just disappears in IWB or pocket carry during the summer.

Boolit Master
    I have fired thousands of 135gr cast thru mine- seems to work just fine. I did replace the trigger with a flat-face one as the original bites my fingertip.
    Loren

Boolit Master

Works great for me. I had carried a Kahr P9 for years but the P9 is very snappy. The G43 is very tame in recoil compared to the P9. The 43X feels even better in the hand so........

I also EDC the G43. Used to have a very nice Sig P365 but even though it was rated for +P ammo it would not handle my Federal 124 grain HST +P worth beans. Sold the P365. Recoil was like I was shooting an old IPSC 9mm Major load with a PF of 175, and the primers were FLAAAAAAATTTTT.

Same load in the G43 shoots like a dream.

When the tupperware gun first came out, one of the gun magazines fired the first issue Glock 40,000 times without cleaning it.
    It might have been a ammo issue, but they had two 'stove pipe' jams for the whole testing session.

That'd be reliable enough for me.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I don't have any Glocks anymore but one of my shooting buddies had a lot of models and I shot and watched him shoot his 43 at least 1000 rounds with no malfunctions . In my experience which is a lot with subcompact autos the 43 is as reliable as you can get with a subcompact semi-auto . I would not expect them to hold up like a 17 or 19 or even a 26 . The only Glock I have had experience with that had chronic problems was my model 36 , but the smaller and more compact you make a gun for a particular cartridge the pickier they get on grip and what you feed them . I prefer other pistols to Glocks but that is just my personal preference and not because of reliability.

Boolit Master

I have the 42, 43, and 36. Just like the single stacks. They are light and small enough for me to carry, and they are reliable. All of mine are current productions, 2019 or newer. I can’t remember having a malfunction with any of them. Being smaller, compacts, the 43/42 MIGHT have a lower round count than say a 19/17. But I would say it’s still higher than the rest of the smaller, subcompact field out there. And by a large margin.

I did have several problems with a 42 and 36 that were both made in the first year of their manufacturing and they were jam o mastics! So much, I would not touch a 36 until just last year. But don’t remember the 43s having any problems, at least mine didn’t, and I got my first one within 6 months of production.

I do run an aftermarket floor plate on the G43, a GEE Plate, that allows my two finger grip to be more secure as I tuck my pinky when i shoot. But all of my G43s have been flawless with the PG+1, Gee Plate, or TT+1 plates.

Lefty
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    When the tupperware gun first came out, one of the gun magazines fired the first issue Glock 40,000 times without cleaning it.
    It might have been a ammo issue, but they had two 'stove pipe' jams for the whole testing session.

That'd be reliable enough for me.
    I get some grief from friends about my love for glocks. I always tell them to go to Iraqveteran8888 on youtube, and watch his Ultimate glock meltdown video. He runs over 1200 rounds full auto until it wont shoot anymore. The gun is actually melting and shooting pieces of itself. Once it cools and he looks it over he found the problem replaces a few pieces and it keeps running. The abuse he does in 8 minutes is more than the average person will do in a lifetime.

It's a Glock.....(that's Austrian for "tough as woodpecker lips")

Only ever saw one Glock break from actual use. Belonged to a friend of mine who was a competitive shooter. It was back when they first offered the .357 Sig. He had something like 20/30,000 rounds thru it when the slide cracked. He told the regional Glock Rep, who passed that info on to the factory. They promptly replaced it with a new one reportedly saying "that ain't supposed to happen".
    My friend has yet to ever have another issue with any of his Glocks.
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Red View Post
    the 43/42 MIGHT have a lower round count than say a 19/17. But I would say it’s still higher than the rest of the smaller, subcompact field out there. And by a large margin.
    Uh, no.

The Glock G43 holds 6 rounds of 9mm. That is one of the lowest capacities of a sub-compact 9mm.

My P365 holds 10 rounds. The Hellcat holds 11 rounds. Both are smaller than the G43.

The G43 is a great little pistol, but it's Achilles heel is it's low capacity compared to the competition. As one noted gun reviewer said, "The G43 is for those who want the ugliness of a Glock while being hampered by the capacity of a snubnose."
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Banned
    Thanks for the responses. I am not inquiring about the reliability of the Glock 43. They are clearly reliable. In fact, all Glocks are extremely reliable.
    I'm asking about the Durability of the Glock 43.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I'm asking about the Durability of the Glock 43.
    You'd need to get with a chemist to find out how many years the plastic frame will last before it splits or deteriorates.
    As far as I know, the first ones are still on the job, so its probably quite awhile.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    You'd need to get with a chemist to find out how many years the plastic frame will last before it splits or deteriorates.
    As far as I know, the first ones are still on the job, so its probably quite awhile.
    I was thinking more along the lines of round count, but thanks.....i guess.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Uh, no.

The Glock G43 holds 6 rounds of 9mm. That is one of the lowest capacities of a sub-compact 9mm.

My P365 holds 10 rounds. The Hellcat holds 11 rounds. Both are smaller than the G43.

The G43 is a great little pistol, but it's Achilles heel is it's low capacity compared to the competition. As one noted gun reviewer said, "The G43 is for those who want the ugliness of a Glock while being hampered by the capacity of a snubnose."
    I was talking about round count in accordance to life of the firearm, not its capacity.

And as far as it’s capacity, I’m more than comfortable with it.
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Red View Post
    I was talking about round count in accordance to life of the firearm, not its capacity.

And as far as it’s capacity, I’m more than comfortable with it.
    Oh, gotcha. Makes perfect sense now. And I agree.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast