MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gurkha Kukri

Boolit Master

Gurkha Kukri

A package arrived from Katmandhu a number of months ago.

I ordered this a while back to support the families of Gurkha soldiers as I'd worked with some of them overseas - and besides which, I'd always wanted one of these brutal knives for myself.

This is the Nepalese Army version from www.thekhukurihouse.com - owned by ex-Gurkhas. It was inexpensive and I'm delighted with the quality - it was shipped via DHL.

In our civilian world, it makes a great survival tool - combo knife/hatchet, with a small utility-knife (karda) and a sharpening steel/flint-striker (chakmak) in the sheath.

Gurkha in Iraq using his to make wood-joints:
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Banned

Nice. When I was in Iraq in 2004, I had the misfortune of having to be on the Green Zone the last couple of weeks I was in country and the scurity there were all Ghurkas. None wore helmets or body armor and every man carried only an old M16 A1 and a Kukri. Even with the lack of equipment, that place was probably safer with those guys than just about anybody else would have made it.

Boolit Master

Had a friend pick one up while in India from a Ghurka he knew. Craftmanship on the one you have in the picture is exceptionally greater; but I guess we are also looking at a vastly more affluent India than existed ion the 1970's. Enjoy your unique product of World history.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Banned

Last time I was in Iraq, I was on a FOB pretty much the whole time and they hired a lot of third country nationals to do the mundane operations. At the MWR building where I made phone calls and checked email, the day shift was two very nice Fillipina middle aged ladies, but the night shift was a guy from Nepal. His english wasn't so good, so I never talked to him in detail about it, but he carried himself like a retired NCO and despite being all of 5'4 and slight of build and likely 45+ years old, I still figured that guy could have handled himself just fine in a bad situation, he just had "tough" written all over him.

That is a hard part of the world and I suspect one is either tough or dead.

Boolit Master
    I loved my Gurkha, sadly the handle rotted off and eventually I lost the blade, not sure what happened to it. I found it more useful than my machete for clearing trails.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Moderator Emeritus

Very interesting and thanks for posting. I will have to look at the link you provided. Thanks
    Ron

Over the years, I have heard or read many interesting stories about the Gurkha and their use of the kukri. They are very highly trained troops and can do things with that knife that are almost unbelievable.
    Tough isn't a definitive enough word to describe them. Either the men or the knife.

Fascinating website. Well worth the visit and the time to read all of the history. Very nice selection of knives--I couldn't believe the Bowie knife. We may do some business.

DG

Great website. I can’t find the Nepalese Army version on there. Is there a model number or something?
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

I consider the Kukri to be a must have knife for any Knife Aficionado . They are among the most useful overall designs in existence.

I was all set to buy one from your guy in Nepal for myself for my Birthday one year but then my Bro in Law gave me this Kershaw one which is pretty good. It doesn't have quite as much hook to the blade but will still do anything a real one will do, including taking someone's arm off. The Blade is 10" long and like all Kershaw knives it came out of the box sharp enough to shave with.

I was given this present in an Expensive Restaurant, and my comment when I pulled it out of the sheath was,,,

ala "Mick Dundee:" "Now that's a knife!" The waitress was real nice to us after that.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I have an old WW2 kukri that my grandfather was given by a Gurkha.

Boolit Buddy
    that is nice, for sure a couple of steps up from the one I bought as a surplus issue one back in the 1970's.
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    Great website. I can’t find the Nepalese Army version on there. Is there a model number or something?
    Think it's this one :

https://www.thekhukurihouse.com/nepa...l-parade-knife
    The insulated state in which nature has placed the American continent should so far avail it that no spark of war kindled in the other quarters of the globe should be wafted across the wide oceans which separate us from them." -- Thomas Jefferson

Back in the 80's my in-law's spent a year stationed in Nepal. They brought me back one of these, obtained from a soldier that they were acquainted with during their tour. It is nothing fancy, just a nicely made working knife. And, since it came to me as a gift from a Gurkha, I consider it a great treasure.
    Last edited by Ural Driver; 02-17-2021 at 11:04 AM.
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=pressonregardless;5118337]Think it's this one :

[url]https://www.thekhukurihouse.com/nepal
    I looked at it one the site you posted, guess I know why mine from years ago is so plain looking compared to that one. it works well anyhow and I am still happy with it.
    Barry

Banned
    “If a man says he is not afraid of dying, he is either lying or he is a Gurkha.” - Indian Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw.

Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

Boolit Master

I had 2 of the very well used Gurkha WW II knives and my son now has them. They very very plain and without adornment but well made. james

Boolit Master

Many years ago I briefly worked with a WW2 vet from the India-China-Burma campaign. He mentioned that the Gurkha soldiers all carried those knives, and would hunt the Japs at night. The British paymaster would pay a bounty for all the ears they brought in. He said that he attended a ritual feast where a Gurkha slaughtered a buffalo with one swipe. He was assigned to a railroad battalion building & maintaining the rail supply line. He had some fastening stories.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    https://www.thekhukurihouse.com/nepa...national-issue

At $53 ex shipping, it's a steal (and for shipping they send via DHL).
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast