Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Accurizing the M-1 Rifle

Boolit Master

Accurizing the M-1 Rifle

While shooting high power matches many years ago I had the privilege of using a borrowed accurized M-1. The rifle had been worked on by Army armorers at Camp Perry.
    The weapon had National Match sights and an improved trigger, along with a glass bedded action and it shot wonderfully well.
    Do any of you have source material explaining how to do this for my education?
    Thanks!
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Master

Brownells at one time had a small book that explained this step by step. I don't know if it is still available. You should be able to find a video on youtube to help you thru the process, its not that complicated. james

there is a plethora of info on the web about this subject. It can be a simple or as complicated as you want to go.

One of the key factors is to get the tension on the action in the stock correct. Basically you are looking for the Trigger Guard to go under tension when it is 45 degrees up from locked. You can put target paper shims under the trigger guard base plate to achieve this tension and this is a common fix which yields the most bang for your accurizing buck out there.

Try this first because the other accurizing tips are not all that easy to accomplish and don't result in big gains in accuracy.

Also ammo that is loaded to the proper velocity is key to performance in these guns.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

There was an manual printed by the army that covered this very well. Bedded action, There is a small spacer that supports the barrel to set tension. The liner is taken out of the front hand guard rear hand guard is cut shorter at the back then supported with a small dab of silicone. splines are peered on one side to tighten and a nut used that tights past then comes back about 1 hour. It can be sanded to get this. I also believe the hand guards back plate was locked in place with 2 screws.

I think it was Clint Fowler who made a triple lug set up welding a lug to each side of the action and a block to the back bolting the action in place.bolt heads were covered under the floor plate and trigger tang

Boolit Master
    Check with the NRA as I have a 10-15 page booklet on handling,shooting and accurizing the M1. Don't remember which magazine but either Rifle or Handloader had a couple good articles about accurizing. Frank

Boolit Master
    You can download a .pdf file on accurizing the M1 at the limk - along with a bunch of other stuff:

https://www.mediafire.com/?9onmno58kwflx

This file contains info on what mods to make after glass bedding.
    Last edited by nicholst55; 02-15-2021 at 09:42 AM.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Buddy
    Actually, this is what I was thinking of but I cannot find an archived version online anywhere.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/106190

I got into shooting high power when the black guns were popular so never really shot an accurized Garand or M1a. After all that work and massaging is done to them how well do they shoot ?not try to slight or put them down . I've shot against a few guys with worked over M1a's and didn't seem like they could hang with the AR even at 600 and the guys shooting them were master level shooters with the AR same as me . Just curious as to what level of accuracy can be optained with them
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Grand Master

My 2 match M1As were close to 1/2 min rifles over the course. The big difference is recoil you have to build a much solider position with the M1A and Garands than the ARs. Also on a 88 round match recoil becomes a lot more draining physically on the M1As. The ARs in 223 arnt as draining and more forgiving to position.

I shot all 3 three in High power starting with an accurized garand in 308, then went to the M1As which took me to high master. Was in the process of changing to the AR when I had to give it up for medical reasons. I kept 2 10 round mags in the stool for the ar since my prone on some ranges firing points a 20 round would rest on the mat.

Want to really see the effect of recoil shoot the M1A or garang in a rattle Battle then the AR the recoil shows itself in those 1 min long fire all you can strings. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    My 2 match M1As were close to 1/2 min rifles over the course. The big difference is recoil you have to build a much solider position with the M1A and Garands than the ARs. Also on a 88 round match recoil becomes a lot more draining physically on the M1As. The ARs in 223 arnt as draining and more forgiving to position.

I shot all 3 three in High power starting with an accurized garand in 308, then went to the M1As which took me to high master. Was in the process of changing to the AR when I had to give it up for medical reasons. I kept 2 10 round mags in the stool for the ar since my prone on some ranges firing points a 20 round would rest on the mat.

Want to really see the effect of recoil shoot the M1A or garang in a rattle Battle then the AR the recoil shows itself in those 1 min long fire all you can strings. LOL
    That's a lot more accurate than I expected ! True never even thought of the recoil aspect of it .
    I always loved those rattle battle matches since rapid prone was my best position anyways .But I would want noooooo parts of a 30 cal anything in those matches unless it was mounted in a tripod .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Moderator Emeritus
    If you look at people shooting in a “Leg” match when points are up for grabs, probably 98% of the rifles are AR’s. Maybe a couple M1A’s at most. I don’t think Garands are even legal to shoot in the match any more. The 30 Cals have a hard time being competitive. Recoil is certainly part of the reason.

I really like shooting the Garand and M1A by the way, but it won’t be in a match.