Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Barrel Opinions Wanted

Boolit Master

Barrel Opinions Wanted

Finnal found a manufacture to make my barrels. There 4 different ones I want. 264 LBC and .277 Wolverine in AR15. Savage Axis prefab in 35 Whelen and 260 Rem. Any one hear of X-caliber barrels? Also how does cast perform with 6 Groove rifling? I want 1 in 10 twists and they only have 6 groove for that. I know 5R works just fine. Its also only 350 bucks a barrel with free shipping for military.

Last barrel.cost me 450 bucks and that's what McGowan was gonna charge.

Thoughts or opinions?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Xcaliber is about ten miles from me. I've inspected some of the barrels, they look good.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

X- caliber is one of the newer barrel companies. I got quite a few barrels from them until the price went up. Most of the barrels I use are from Green Mountain ( I'm a dealer). I also use Douglas barrels when GM doesn't have what I need.

Boolit Master

Thanks. Nice to hear they have some good reviews before invest a large chunk of cash into them.

~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    I don't know what you are shooting, but I would go faster than 1 in 10

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Flounder .
    1-10 is plenty in in the first 2 for AR family 223 and 30 Rem/6.8 based cartridges in 25 & up cal .

For cast it's probably going to be fine in 260 . It's probably way too fast in the 35 though I shoot 250s 2100 fps in a 1-14 358 Win in an older A&B . 35-250 actually .

Standard twists in 6.5 are 8.5&9.5 , I ran bullet weights in 7mm bore riders in the Mountain Molds program and it showed 225 gr still had plenty of twist left over at 1-9.5 . I wish the 6.5s I have worked had 10" twists .

The 6.8 shoots very well in 10 & 11 twists up to 140 gr in a 27-140 I finally have a 270-150 to try in a 5R .

Ive never heard any complaints about X Caliber barrels .

6 right rifling is practically a US standard but it's old school , why mess with something that works . It comes out to a .062 land/groove width in a .264 that's probably why under 30 cal they lean towards 4&5 groove .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

I had decent performances in the 6.5 with 1 in 9 but I had to replace that barrel and with out thinking I put a 1 in 8.5. My 260 Rem has a 1 in 8. Both of these fast twist barrels are performing poorly at anything over 1400 fps. I am curious how well a 1 in 10 will perform in that caliber for 6.5 Grendel and 260 Rem. For the .277 Wolverine, I have had good performance in a 1 in 9 on my 270 Win so was hoping a 1 in 10 will work better. I did all the stableization math for the above and its all good for the bullets I use.

I have not researched twist rates in 35 Whelen yet. I figured it will be in the 1 in 12 ball park.

I was worried about the company reputation and the 6 land barre.. the 6.5 and 6.8mm barrels in that slowing twist only come in 6. The 35 cal comes with a 5R
    Thanks for all the replies. Think I will buy from them. Yall have boosted my confidence in them. Was worried about making a 1600 dollar investment into an unknown.

Last edited by Rcmaveric; 02-10-2021 at 04:55 PM.
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master
    Remington standardized the Whelen with a 16" twist, which I think is a bit slow for the 250+ grain projectiles that are possible with the cartridge.

I built my first Whelen using an Adams and Bennett 1:14" twist barrel, and have not been disappointed. Granted I haven't shot anything over 250 grains, but it does what I want.

Hope this helps,

Robert

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    RCMav
    AR precision builds all of their .277 , 6.8SPCII barrels in 1-10 or 1-11 . The core of those cartridges are 90-110 gr @23-2600 fps , the 6.8 is very good with bullets like the 120 SST , 279-124 @130 gr , and 27-130 to at 140 gr . Speeds around 21-2400 fps deliver the goods .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Any reason why you are ordering custom barrels other than Wildcat cartridge compatibility? Better performance perhaps?

Boolit Buddy
    I have 4 X-Caliber AR barrels. Three AR-15 and one AR-10. All shoot extremely well. They easily meet and exceed their 1" at 100 yards guarantee. My 308 AR-10 barrel will keep 10 rounds of LR equivalent 175gr in less than 1" at 100. I have a 223 wylde 20" match barrel on order from them right now.

Bill

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by VariableRecall View Post
    Any reason why you are ordering custom barrels other than Wildcat cartridge compatibility? Better performance perhaps?
    I want to custom twist rates for better performances in cast bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by barkerwc4362 View Post
    I have 4 X-Caliber AR barrels. Three AR-15 and one AR-10. All shoot extremely well. They easily meet and exceed their 1" at 100 yards guarantee. My 308 AR-10 barrel will keep 10 rounds of LR equivalent 175gr in less than 1" at 100. I have a 223 wylde 20" match barrel on order from them right now.

Bill
    Awesome. Exactly what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Remington standardized the Whelen with a 16" twist, which I think is a bit slow for the 250+ grain projectiles that are possible with the cartridge.

I built my first Whelen using an Adams and Bennett 1:14" twist barrel, and have not been disappointed. Granted I haven't shot anything over 250 grains, but it does what I want.

Hope this helps,

Robert
    Thank you. You saved me the research and the experience is invaluable.

~Theodore Roosevelt~