MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Navy Arms Zouave main spring help

Boolit Bub

Navy Arms Zouave main spring help

I have a Navy Arms Zouave with a very weak main spring. When I fire the hammer will not set off the
    cap. Is there any solution to this problem? I am not sure a new Navy arms spring will be stronger.
    Nick

Boolit Grand Master
    If the spring is indeed weak, why would replacing it with a stronger one not help?

If the strength of the spring isn’t your problem, it may be that the lock work inside is dragging against the wood of the stock where it is inletted for the lock so the drag created keeps the hammer from hitting full strength.

More hands on investigation needed here.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Bub
    I checked the condition of the lock, cleaned, removed old oil, polished the parts, and made sure everything worked as they should.
    I checked the mortise and there was no evidence of rubbing. If I pull the hammer back all of the way and release it will fire, but will not from the sear. I may try a wedge between the arms of the spring but this could only be a temporary fix.
    Nick

i

Boolit Buddy
    S&S Firearms in Glendale NY probably has a replacement mainspring. Those Zouaves were made by so many manufacturers over so many years that any new mainspring probably will not be a drop in fit but require some fitting. Also a common problem with them was the sear dragging on the tumbler after release and often hanging up in the half cock. Since it fires with the release of the hammer with the trigger held back that may be your problem.

Banned
    the bottom of the cup part of the hammer on mine was just drilled with a regular old drill bit and wouldnt set of caps either . i had to stick an endmill in it to flatten it out .