RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Accurizing Mauser 98

Boolit Master

Accurizing Mauser 98

A few years back I read an article that said it was very important to ensure that the magazine made no contact with the stock other than the area of the two take down screws. I have been happy with the accuracy of my 375 Whelen with shoots 3 shots into 1 1/4'' at 100 mtrs, but I decided to give the old girl a Birthday and relieve the wood in that area. A trip to the range showed the accuracy was now sub minute at the same 100 mtrs outside edge to outside edge. Sometimes it pays to take the chance. The deer rut starts soon and I will be bringing Bambi to dinner for sure. regards Stephen

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I find a Mauser is more sensitive to the torque on the action bolts than anything else, aside from proper bedding
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    what should the torque be on the action screws?

Boolit Master
    I have heard from 30 to 40 pounds yet my gunsmith insists that dead tight is the way to go. I have come to the conclusion that firearms, like women are generally pretty and very unique in what they want. Having said that I found what both mine like and life is good. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master

A gunsmith that had built a lot of winning Camp Perry rifles told me to torque the action screws to 60 inch pounds. He said that was to allow the action and barrel to vibrate to their natural harmonics.

I did everything he suggested to my rifle, all small mods after I built it and was disappointed with the accuracy. Like yours, I was getting just over 1” groups. I had chambered it in 6.5x55 btw. Best group after the additional work has been under 0.350”.

Mine is pillar and glass bedded, free floated forward of the chamber, headspaced tight enough to feel the bolt close on the brass after full length sizing also at the ‘smith’s recommendation. I also crowned the muzzle flat.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris