Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Lyman 156gr .357 mod

Boolit Master

Lyman 156gr .357 mod

Some time ago I turned the above mould into a smooth sided bullet by removing the lube grooves, the result after this mod, was a mould that cast a 174gr semi wad cutter after fitting gas check and Hi-Tek coating. Over the last few weeks I have been testing this bullet in my 357 maximum and found it to be a very accurate and hard hitting bullet. I have driven it to 2,100fps with outstanding accuracy and it will be my bullet of choice for close range deer. I have also run these cast in 357 cases through the max and while not as accurate they are fun to shoot, when I get my 357 lever back I will run the same test with it. I have tried the Lee 158gr r/f nose at 2,400 fps with the same accuracy of 1 1/4'' outside edge to outside edge at 100 mtrs. I have tried 140gr, 158gr and 180gr XTPs in this rifle and my cast outshoot them hands down. I now feel the gamble I took by modifying this mould was justified. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    Interested in how you modified your mould. Did you use a boring bar? I have never been brave enough to alter a mould where I can't see inside, where the boring bar is cutting. My old Atlas has some wear, and I'm sure I could ruin a good mould easily.

I appreciate you sharing this, very interesting. I'd like to see some pictures of it.

Wow, great velocity out of the Max. That's better than a .30-30. I knew a guy years ago that had a Max in a Contender.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.