Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jalapeno appetizers

Boolit Master
    I bought some of these bacon-wrapped jobs at a farmer's market. In the display case, they were labeled Texas Twinkies. I knew I had to get some once the fellow explained what was in them. As someone noted above, the bacon wrap won't crisp up entirely by the time the peppers are done, so when I make them, I'll be halving them and fill them with the ingredients and seasoned bacon done to perfection.

Here's a thought: Make a dip of the cheeses/sour cream/onions/garlic/crisp chopped bacon/seasonings and use quarter slices of crisp Jalapenos for chips. Keep exam gloves handy for when you need to rub your eyes or touch . . . . . something.

Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    (bare) hand with the peppers once. Then I hit the bathroom and rubbed my eye !!! I couldn’t decide whether to grab my face or pecker! Aaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!![
    We used to make them at any guy gathering. They go real well with beer.

One time we were enjoying a batch, fresh off the grill.
    One of my buddies got up and went to the bathroom. .....And didn't come back.
    We were getting worried, and about the time we were going to go check on him-- He finally came back.

When asked if he was OK, he said, "Mr. Happy does not like jalapenos".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    @ dale2242 - Once you select some tame chiles and field dress 'em, use 'em anywhere you would any color of bell pepper, sweet banana pepper, etc. You can fire roast them or smoke them (a chipotle is a green or ripe jalapeno that's been smoked). My breakfast today was eggs with sizzled russet taters, sweet onion, light SPAM and stripped jalapeno and I had to put some green Cholula on it for spice, because the 'penos added only flavor and no heat. I made kale/spinach/yam/sweet Italian "salseetch"/garbanzo/chicken & prosciutto tortellini soup a few days ago (SWMBO's Dr told her to increase her dark leafy greens) and my "Texas Trinity" of carrots, celery, sweet onion got a +1 with several jalapenos. Her palate is tuned to mild or even bland, and she loved it - never mentioned the peppers. I also dice & can them with sugar, pectin and ascorbic acid. This makes great jelly and I make both green and ripe red for slopping over a brick of cream cheese for a cracker plate at the holidays.
    When we get past the freeze expected this weekend, I'll be getting some new plants from Bonnie's. The pepper plants I get from them have "mild" or "tame" on the label. I also get the Jumbo and plant them in the same tub. They cross-pollinate and the tame ones get a bit bigger and less tame while the jumbos turn out less hot. I also get several other various sweet peppers, including the Japanese one that got needlessly censored in my earlier post. You do have to be careful with Bonnie plants because I have bought several mislabeled ones - one "sweet banana" produced purple bells - and when I called them to gripe, they just laughed.
    MaryB thanks for the chicken lollipop post. When I use my rib rack in the pit, I usually hang a couple drumsticks on there too.
    Ed <><

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Big Bore View Post
    @ dale2242 - You do have to be careful with Bonnie plants because I have bought several mislabeled ones - one "sweet banana" produced purple bells - and when I called them to gripe, they just laughed.
    That must be a national sport.

I've seen people swap around those plastic spear looking plant labels before at the big box store..
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

We make "Poppers", same as OP, but with a slim slice of duck breast or venison backstrap over the cream cheese. Wrapped in bacon, on the grill or in the oven. Good to go. Had a bunch back around Christmas. Good eats.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    We make "Poppers", same as OP, but with a slim slice of duck breast or venison backstrap over the cream cheese. Wrapped in bacon, on the grill or in the oven. Good to go. Had a bunch back around Christmas. Good eats.
    That sounds good, one thing about them there is never a left over! I may put a few on the grill today, it is supposed to get up -9 for todays high, balmy compared to the -17 2 hrs ago when I started a fire in the stove.
    Charter Member #148

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12