WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disposal of primers

Boolit Bub

Disposal of primers

Does anyone have information about the "correct" way to dispose of primers -- assuming you have a lot?

I heard somewhere that getting rid of a lot of primers and other lead-associated reloading materials required some EPA stuff. Is there anyone here that is in the ammo manufacturing or reloading as a business that has to do this? I want to see all of what is required before I start trying to make a business of this.

Boolit Master
    You mean fired primers?

I take them to the scrap yard in buckets, assume that if they required special handling that they’d have told me.

Boolit Buddy
    I bring them to my local scrap yard and they are treated like brass casings. Might as well get paid to dispose of them.

Boolit Buddy
    I just put them in an empty soda bottle and put them in the garbage. I can't see wasting the gasoline and the time to drive 10 miles to the scrap yard. I was keeping a bucket with the scrap brass but it ended up being a problem so when I go to the range they have a barrel that I put it in.

Boolit Master

I also have just dumped them into the scrap brass bucket and sold them as scrap. The guy dumped them out on a table to look for steel and said 4 lbs yellow brass. You don't make a special trip but if you are going anyway with a lawn shed and a stove and a dryer that your neighbors have thoughtfully put out by the street for you, it adds to your total.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    recycle it with the scrap brass here.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Pete View Post
    recycle it with the scrap brass here.
    Same here. Likely not worth the bother for most folks, if they do not shoot a lot, but brass fetches a good price.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    There is precious little "lead" in priming compounds and most of what's there gets blow away. Spent primers are not an environmental hazard.

I take expended primers to the recycler and get yellow brass prices for them, the same as for brass casings. My recycler appreciates the fact that I keep them separate so they can go into the bin with the really small brass, and not end up all over the place. At today's scrap prices, a coffee can full of expended primers is worth over $50.00, since scrap prices are up.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    I am going to save mine!

We might rue the day we threw them away!! Instead they are insurance and could be recycled into live primers again.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Grand Master

I'm another that saves them as scrap. If you don't want to recycle them toss them in the trash. Theres not enough harmful stuff in them to ruin the world.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

They’re hazardous all right, just like legos. There’s always 1 waiting like a little land mine for bare feet.

I just toss them in the garbage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    If they are live send them to me
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Banned
    I don't give a second thought about tossing spent primers out with the rest of my household trash. The liberals make war on gunowners in many ways and overblown worries about lead is just one of their attacks.

I would be more concerned about the mercury in a few fluorescent bulbs than some alleged lead hazard from a few thousand spent primers.

I am constantly amused by the extreme amount of resources liberals will consume in their efforts to appear "green". They burn more electricity, gasoline & diesel to recycle plastic (that costs more money and burns more fuel to recycle than if they just buried it in a landfill and made new plastic.)

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Two buckets for steel shotgun primers and a bucket for brass ones ... both to the scrap yard
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

I've got over two gallons of spent primers.

As soon as I can get a weak mind and strong backed buddy to go to the scrap yard with me I will trade them in.

In need to pick up lead and if I try and do it alone I'll be in severe pain for weeks.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master

The second paragraph where the OP mentions "Is there anyone here that is in the ammo manufacturing or reloading as a business that has to do this?" suggest he may be talking about live primers? If so, give them to a reloader or as a last resort drop them off at the local PD...

Or if talking about spent primers, fellers above gave good answers...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    For whatever reason, scrapped primers bring a few cents per pound less than cartridge brass at the metals recycler I go to. I don't argue; I'd rather get money or lead in trade than just throw them out.

I should add that it takes a few years, even reloading 25-30 thousand rounds a year, to have enough spent primers and unreloadable brass to make it worthwhile bringing in.

Boolit Grand Master

Sharp eyed scrap dealers/buyers can spot the steel anvils and quote lower prices for spent primers.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Any unfired primers you want to dispose of you can send to me. I know how to safely get rid of them

Fired primers go in the trash.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast