Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Copper tubing straightener

Boolit Master

Copper tubing straightener

Somewhere is a thread showing how to make a copper tubing straightener out of 5 screen door wheels. Does anybody recall, I can't find it. Help!
    Bill

Boolit Master

Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

Thanks, gotta find all the pieces to put one together, they have been pushed around for a few years. Now I remember the vice, Vice grip and hammer method, crude but effective, however the jig works easier.

Boolit Buddy
    If you don't already know it, copper pipe or tubing is available in 'rigid' form in all the various diameters which would be suitable for jackets. Probably require annealing depending on the amount of drawing involved but much easier to work with (in my opinion) than coils...

Boolit Master

You are right, refrigerator tubing is the softest, but hardest to find in stick form. My last search found Amazon to be a little better than the pipe suppliers, however it came coiled.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by just bill View Post
    You are right, refrigerator tubing is the softest, but hardest to find in stick form. My last search found Amazon to be a little better than the pipe suppliers, however it came coiled.
    To make .308 swaged bullets using 5/16 copper tubing for jackets; I buy ACR refrigerator tubing such as: https://www.amazon.com/Bison-Metals-...s%2C260&sr=8-2

I leave the coil of tubing as is from the box; and simply hand straighten it out 12 to 16 inches from the coil; and trim my tubes from the end, then uncoil straightening by hand as I go - cutting tubes to size to make jackets from.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy
    Straighteners for metal strips or wire are simple devices. A series of rollers on opposite sides of the wire and some kind of depth adjustment. Grooves for wire or tubing are handy. If there are 5 rollers, it would look like a "W" configuration. The rollers on the moving side can be mounted on a bar or such with one pivot point and one adjustment for that side. Post a pick after you build it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wire straightener.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	277308