Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Remington 572 pump 22lr rifle

Remington 572 pump 22lr rifle

I happened to stop in a pawn shop a few days ago and on the rack was a Remington 572 pump 22lr.
    It was certainly cheap enough. The problem was It had been worked on by Bubba.
    It had been spray painted black and the barrel had been cut off just in front of the loading tube. It looked straight but had not been crowned.
    Barrel was tight to the receiver and the trigger worked ok.
    I doubt it would shoot properly without some work though.
    The shop wanted $169 for it.
    Is it worth buying in hopes of getting a shooter?

I'd talk them down some more. Be easy enough to crown and cut a dovetail if needed. You might get lucky and find finish under the paint.

Sounds like the bubba-ness was just cosmetic, 572s are tough rifles. If the finish is ruined when the paint comes off, you could put Cerakote or Duracote on it, re-crown is easy enough.
    The price is low enough to give you room to get it back to good shape, new they sell for $700 +.

The 572 brings back fond memories, my Grandad had 2 of them, one rifled and a smoothbore one meant for .22 shot cartridges. We spent many an evening at "Mini Skeet", shooting hand thrown charcoal briquettes in the backyard.
    I want to get a 572 one of these days, if nothing else to be a companion to the first year production 552 Speedmaster I bought last spring:

Originals had 24” barrels then I believe 21” barrels. I would be pricing in the cost of putting a proper dovetail sight on it. I had an original for years and it was fine, a bit big for a 22 but I kind of miss it. My missing that 572 went away when I finally got a Marlin 39A for a deal. You have options when the original anodizing wears from the receiver.