Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Help Identifying 50BMG Brass

Boolit Man

Help Identifying 50BMG Brass

A few years back, I was given a box of approximately fifty 50BMG cases. I never really looked at them as I have maybe a 1,000 50 BMG cases on hand. Well, yesterday I got around to sizing 50BMG on my Dillon BFR (Big Fifty Reloader). While I was at it, I decided to resize and process these cases as well. That's when I discovered a headstamp that was unfamiliar to me. All these cases were headstamped "LC 4." Now I get the Lake City part as anyone who has ever processed military brass has. However, all the military cases I've processed in the past have had two-digits for the year. Now Lake City didn't start operating until 1940 and I am suspecting these may be WWII era cases. I was just wondering if someone could confirm this and whether it would be safe to reload these. They do appear to be in good shape. Thank you!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LC4.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	277083

My first guess is 2004 production.

I'd have to dig them out, but I think I've got a few USGI 5.56 cases, probably LC with a single digit for the production year.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    My first guess is 2004 production.

I'd have to dig them out, but I think I've got a few USGI 5.56 cases, probably LC with a single digit for the production year.
    Thanks for the response but I think these are older than 04'. The picture was taken after a considerable amount of cleaning and the residue in the primer pockets was like nothing I've seen from this century. I've processed lots of military brass from as far back as in the 80's but this stuff just appears different.

Boolit Buddy
    They might be LC44,

Boolit Grand Master
    1940 iirc

Boolit Master
    If you google around long enough you will find more info to back up the following:
    (try googling ATFE or some such, "associate of firearms and tool mark examiners", or something similar):

At the end of 1943, when war production was fast and furious,
    some ammo plant and ammo lines, when changing the headstamps from "43" (for 1943)
    to a headstamp to indicate 1944 production ammo, just took the die/stamp tool which just contained the 2 digit year
    (which I believe was called a "bunter" or some such), and ground on it, changing the "43" to just a "4",
    to indicate that it was 1944 production. this was easier and more expedient than getting a new bunter.

also possibly, if they had 10 lines running and only 5 new "44" bunters and they needed to get production
    back online on all 10 lines at 12:01 AM 01/01/1944 with some kind of 1944 headstamp indication
    (likely probably a contract requirement and inspection item),
    5 seconds at a grinding wheel makes a "43" bunter into a "4" bunter.

perfection was not needed nor desired. lots of ammo to fight the fascists in Europe and Asia was needed and desired.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by edp2k View Post
    If you google around long enough you will find more info to back up the following:
    (try googling ATFE or some such, "associate of firearms and tool mark examiners", or something similar):

At the end of 1943, when war production was fast and furious,
    some ammo plant and ammo lines, when changing the headstamps from "43" (for 1943)
    to a headstamp to indicate 1944 production ammo, just took the die/stamp tool which just contained the 2 digit year
    (which I believe was called a "bunter" or some such), and ground on it, changing the "43" to just a "4",
    to indicate that it was 1944 production. this was easier and more expedient than getting a new bunter.

also possibly, if they had 10 lines running and only 5 new "44" bunters and they needed to get production
    back online on all 10 lines at 12:01 AM 01/01/1944 with some kind of 1944 headstamp indication
    (likely probably a contract requirement and inspection item),
    5 seconds at a grinding wheel makes a "43" bunter into a "4" bunter.

perfection was not needed nor desired. lots of ammo to fight the fascists in Europe and Asia was needed and desired.
    Your answer makes a lot of sense given the war effort. Just grind a digit off the bunter and be done. Makes perfect sense and the Google search definitely supports the information you provided. I'm almost sorry now that I processed it. Probably would have been more interesting if left alone now that I know the history.

Boolit Buddy
    DiverJay:

edp2k is correct, this was done as a cost and time saving measure in 1944. They could have used ANY leftover 1940s headstamp bunters to do this. It was not only done on 50 cal ammo, but also 45, 30-06, and 30 Carbine, and at several other ammunition plants. Just so y'all know, it worked so well in 1944, it was done again in 1955. It was not done in 1966..................

Boolit Grand Master

Howdy DiverJay
    Drop the case into some apple cider vinegar and check it every 8 hours or so. Battery acid is faster if you will be able to check it much more often.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    DiverJay:

I left it out in my post, as long as these cases are in good shape, they are perfectly safe to reload. They were fired with corrosive primers, you might want to soak 'em for a little while in some warm soapy water, maybe shake 'em a little bit, rinse 'em off, they should be OK. No need for any acids, long soaks corrode the zinc out of the case, leaving them all coppery.................

Boolit Master
    edp2k's answer is essentially what I have read from trustworthy sources pertaining to .30/06 military ammo, so seems reasonable for .50 cal as well.