MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: source for pure Antimony and flux.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by USSR View Post
    BF,

We ain't talking about sugar. We are talking about a highly toxic element that requires a higher than normal temperature to alloy into lead. Even the OP sees that this is not a good idea.

Don
    Sigh....you can easily alloy antimony into lead at normal lead temperatures. Just like you can dissolve sugar into water without reaching the melting point of sugar.

With antimony you just need the right flux.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post2668511
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Buddy
    Burnt Fingers please read what KYCaster states in the link you posted. Quoting again:
    "You can easily mix Sb into your alloy with the same equipment you're using now. It works fine at normal lead casting temps. without any special or unusual flux."
    If needed to clean your melt any flux you usually use will work. Wax, sawdust, wooden stirring stick, charcoal dust etc. A clean shiny melt needs no fluxing at all.
    The trick is to have some tin in the lead because tin and antimony make an inter-metallic compound where tin is the welcome wagon helping the antimony enter the lead neighborhood. I'd say 1-2% minimum of the total weight of alloy you are making could be tin. Of course use 4% tin if you want linotype.
    The antimony chunks (easier to use chunks or nuggets, not powder) will float on top of the lead + tin and can be submerged with a screen or a can with a perforated bottom or a perforated jar lid - whatever fits your pot.
    Submerging the antimony avoids a lot to stirring.
    If you want to try antimony powder or dust first practice mixing talcum powder (be careful, I've heard it causes cancer) on top of water.
    Just because change doesn't make a difference doesn't mean that change is bad.

Boolit Master
    I have been casting for 35+ years, and I would NEVER put pure antimony into a pot and try to alloy it into a lead based alloy. I value my health too much. Roto Metal sells an alloy called Super Hard Alloy Metal that consists of 30 percent antimony. Much, much safer.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Must be why I use a respirator and disposable gloves and suggest you leave the pot alone while the antimony goes into solution.

edit to add link to antimony cautions per U S Antimony Co

http://usantimony.com/precautions.htm
    Last edited by Dusty Bannister; 02-10-2021 at 09:38 PM.

Boolit Master
    Ya takes yer chances. Personally, with a toxic substance like pure antimony, I'm not willing to take that chance when a high antimony alloy is readily available.

Don
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Please..........................just buy Super Hard from Rotometals and be done with it!

Do not try to be an alchemist and make your own mix.

Please advise what funeral home to send flowers to.

banger

Boolit Buddy
    Ya takes yer chances. Personally, with a toxic substance like pure antimony, I'm not willing to take that chance when a high antimony alloy is readily available.

Don
    Please educate me about the toxicity of "pure antimony." We are asking about elemental metallic antimony. Got any references?

Boolit Master
    PRECAUTIONS (per post # 24)

Although antimony compounds must be considered toxic and are labeled accordingly, the metal and trioxide are practically innocuous due to their low solubility in water and body fluids. However, antimony oxide has caused dermatitis, popularly called "antimony measles", especially in hot humid areas where an individual perspires. Although respiratory irritation occurs, it can be prevented by the use of suitable respirators or by the coating of the oxide with wetting agents or plasticizers. No conclusive evidence indicates that antimony compounds are carcinogenic. Currently, the OSHA eight hour time weighted average (TWA) exposure limit is 0.5 mg/m3 of antimony with a short term exposure limit (STEL) of 0.75 mg/m3. The following label is placed on each bag of Montana Brand Antimony Oxide

Boolit Master
    Please, listen to bangerjim, don't try to be an alchemist.

Don
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy

Don
    Just a question: Have you ever had experience with pure antimony and it's uses? Or are you just an internet expert with an opinion based on no practical experience?

~J

Boolit Master
    B.C.Jay,

I am a programmer/analyst by trade. As such, I look at things and make decisions based on the facts of the case. Having looked at this situation over the past 35 years, much of which was articles written by knowledgeable bullet casters decades before Al Gore invented the internet, I have come to the conclusion that this is a potentially dangerous and unnecessary endeavor when a high antimony product is readily available. One thing I have learned in my many years of life is, if a lot of knowledgeable people say something is potentially bad for your health, don't do it. And since the OP is someone new to bullet casting, I cannot in good conscience recommend that he attempts to alloy antimony into a lead based alloy. Hope that answers your question.

Don
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by B.C.Jay View Post
    Just a question: Have you ever had experience with pure antimony and it's uses? Or are you just an internet expert with an opinion based on no practical experience?

~J
    As an industrial applications engineer for over 40 years, I used to deal with semiconductor manufacturing and waste treatment plants and they used pH, conductivity and REDOX (reduction / oxidization potential) measurement meters. Not these portable hand jobs you see on Amazon, but permanent dedicated instruments. To measure REDOX, the measuring electrode was solid Sb. And the boxes normally came with warnings about toxicity and to wear gloves when replacing them.

The oxides are especially toxic, just as the oxides of many metals are.

And just because something is in an "elemental " metal form, does not alleviate the potential toxicity. Example: Hg & Cd. Of course anything in excess can be potentially toxic/lethal to the human body....even potable water!

Nuff facts for you, my friend???????????????

banger

Boolit Buddy
    Don, you did not answer my question in post #27.
    Dusty Bannister referenced United States Antimony Corp. precaution statement that "Although antimony compounds must be considered toxic and are labeled accordingly, the metal and trioxide are practically innocuous ..." What does this mean? Seek and you will find in Wikipedia: "Elemental antimony metal does not affect human and environmental health. Inhalation of antimony trioxide (and similar poorly soluble Sb(III) dust particles such as antimony dust) is considered harmful and suspected of causing cancer. However, these effects are only observed with female rats and after long-term exposure to high dust concentrations."
    I'm glad I'm not a female rat, but you don't see me having anything to do with antimony oxides.
    You will also find a blanket statement repeated verbatim "Antimony and many of its compounds are toxic." That statement is repeated so many times in so many places without source or discussion . . . There is gravitas! It must be TRUE! That must be why antimony is in water safe lead free solder and food grade pewter and 60% of the antimony produced is used to make flame retardant including in children's clothes and toys.
    Last edited by oso; 02-11-2021 at 02:39 PM.

Boolit Master
    Rotometals sells pure antimony in several forms.
    https://www.rotometals.com/antimony/
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Boolit Buddy
    B.C.Jay,

I am a programmer/analyst by trade. As such, I look at things and make decisions based on the facts of the case. Having looked at this situation over the past 35 years, much of which was articles written by knowledgeable bullet casters decades before Al Gore invented the internet, I have come to the conclusion that this is a potentially dangerous and unnecessary endeavor when a high antimony product is readily available. One thing I have learned in my many years of life is, if a lot of knowledgeable people say something is potentially bad for your health, don't do it. And since the OP is someone new to bullet casting, I cannot in good conscience recommend that he attempts to alloy antimony into a lead based alloy. Hope that answers your question.

Don
    Ok, fair enough.
    I appreciate your opinion on it.

As someone who handles this stuff on a regular basis, I have done exactly what the original poster has inquired about, and I hope he has found some useful information to work with.
    Tongue lashing about possible hazards seems a bit counter productive to me. Yes, the oxide of antimony has toxicity associated with it, but I'm sure he's not going to be making lollypops out of it.
    Take proper steps to avoid exposure and carry on....

And to the OP, and anyone else that's interested - alloying your own casting mix using pure raw metals makes a world of difference. It makes all wheel weight alloy look like contaminated garbage (which it probably is)

~Jason

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    As an industrial applications engineer for over 40 years, I used to deal with semiconductor manufacturing and waste treatment plants and they used pH, conductivity and REDOX (reduction / oxidization potential) measurement meters. Not these portable hand jobs you see on Amazon, but permanent dedicated instruments. To measure REDOX, the measuring electrode was solid Sb. And the boxes normally came with warnings about toxicity and to wear gloves when replacing them.

The oxides are especially toxic, just as the oxides of many metals are.

And just because something is in an "elemental " metal form, does not alleviate the potential toxicity. Example: Hg & Cd. Of course anything in excess can be potentially toxic/lethal to the human body....even potable water!

Nuff facts for you, my friend???????????????

banger

Sure. Facts are always good.
    BTW, I do appreciate your posts on a regular basis.

~J

Jeeezzzzeeeee!
    After reading all the Chicken Little comments, I guess I should be surprised I'm not already dead!
    And.....comparing the toxicity of Antimony to Mercury and Cadmium is a bit of a stretch IMO.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Bub
    I have some LETS Alloyer's Flux from the Antimony Man. I only have 4 lbs antimony left so I won't use it all. Instructions say to use one rounded tablespoon per pound of Sb. It would be expensive to ship UPS but no HAZMAT as it says inorganic chlorine salts. Instructions on the back. Send me a PM and maybe we could work something out. I'm not selling it but would want shipping.
    labop
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20210304_113645343.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12