Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Savage 99

Savage 99

Can anyone tell me a decent scope mount for a model 99? The girlfriend surprised me yesterday and told me she bought us a 99 chambered in 308 Winchester. I spoke with the seller and he informed me that it was drilled and tapped for a scope. Now I need to dig out my brass and clean it for the rifle.

Boolit Master
    I am not very well versed in them but you may want to get hands on and measure the hole spacing. Suspect a 308 might be factory d&t but never know till you check.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master

https://www.egwguns.com/hd-savage-mo...ed-models-only

This mount only fits guns that are factory drilled and tapped or have been previously drilled and tapped to the 1 piece Leupold/Redfield pattern in the correct location.

Savage Model 99s in .308 should also be factory drilled and tapped.

If "Savage" and "Model 99" are located on the left side of the receiver, then it would indicate your gun is factory drilled and tapped.

Please check your mounting screw diameter and hole spacing before placing your order to ensure you select the correct mount. Hole spacing information can be found in the description tab below.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-08-2021 at 01:59 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master
    Does your gf have a sister?
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Leupold makes a fine mount for the 99. They are Fine rifles. I have one in 303 Savage and one in 25-35 Ackley Improved.

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    I am not very well versed in them but you may want to get hands on and measure the hole spacing. Suspect a 308 might be factory d&t but never know till you check.
    No check indicated - the .308 was introduced in 1955; Savage started to D/T the 99 for scope bases ca.1952.

Weaver bases/rings will fit; but if you would like something nicer, try Leupold

https://www.amazon.com/Leupold-STD-S.../dp/B0010KNIJ4

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Hope it's one of the good ones. I recall that some 99s made in the 1970s had horrible fitting stocks and presumably equally bad quality control throughout.

I will be happy to check the numbers come Tuesday. She had been surfing the web looking for all sorts of stuff.

It’s a shame that 1899s are gone. When Savage started circling the bowl in 80s they put out some junk. They screwed up another bread and butter gun the 24 with outright junk. The 99s had poor fit and finish but still functioned and shot well. The only 308 that I’ve owned was one of those late models with hardwood stock. I just recently sold mine in 250/3000, 303Sav and 300sav. Newest was the 250 that was 1950 Manf. All were D&Ted years before I got them.

Boolit Master
    Weaver bases #19 for front and #14 for rear are correct for the 99. Leupold and older Redfield and Burris bases are also available using the Dovetail front and rear rings that are clamped between two screws and thus windage adjustable, a common ring set-up. Many (most) 99's have been polished by hand and the receiver does not provide a precise foundation for the bases. The one piece base in the Redfield/Leupold/Burris configuration can be checked for rocking or wobble before all bases screws are tightened. When the bases do not settle without wobble, I bed the base in JB Weld or an Epoxy to keep the base square. I DO NOT glue the base to the receiver. The Weaver bases have the same problem but it is less noticable, until you lay a straight edge over and along the bases to check ring alignment. Getting the base or bases on and bedded to the receiver so they are flat and square goes a long way to keeping scopes in zero and working smoothly. The 99 can be a real PITA for initial setup, I shoot and hunt my 99's and find little need for other rifles as they can be very accurate. You have a 308, no reason to believe it will perform less than most 308's, even though it is a lever gun.

Oh she won't let me mess up the scope mounting. She's a Cajun girl that out shoots me with anything I hand her. And loves to cook too ��. I rebarreled a 1909 Argentine for her to 30-06. She waited 6 months for the barrel she wanted.

That's a special lady, there - they're not too common, and I count myself lucky that I found one of them over 55 years ago.

Go shoot the snot out of your Savage...…
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    The mount that was made for the 99 with the least modification necessary was the Stith. The front mount went into the rear sight slot, and the rear one screwed into the tang sight holes. The mounts are long out of print, but show up at gun shows and on auction sites from time to time.

Sometimes a shim of thin tubing was necessary to cover the vagaries between the internal diameter of the Stith front mount and the varying diameters of the available scopes. I believe they fit only the straight ones that didn’t have a bell in front.

I have a Stith setup on my 99 with the old style Weaver 3/4” scope, and it really looks “period correct.” Have a 1” Stith I’m saving in case I want to put a “serious” scope in the thing, but so far the little Weaver has been fine.

Boolit Master
    I have an old Stith mount. It is very limited to what scopes will work in it and how you get the scope into the mount. Modern mounts - Weaver, Leupold, Redfield, Burris - are much friendlier for mounting and set-up. A Stith mount is a collector's item, invented to avoid drilling and tapping older 99's. The Stith use the receiver sight holes in the tang of the 99and the open sight dovetail for attachment. Top/tang safety models and the newer 99E's do not have the receiver sight holes on the tang. I would not consider one for everyday use. The one inch Stith mount is hard to find, very expensive and pretty much limited to straight tube scopes. I am not aware of any 3/4" or 7/8" MODERN scopes suitable for 'every day' use.

By the time Savage chambered 99s in 308 you don’t run into problems with scope bases mating with receiver. I’ve had dozens of 99s over the years and only ones that had this kind of problems were pre war models that had been D&Ted. The most of my 99s have been 300s with 303s running close second. Actually I didn’t like to buy scoped pre war 99s. Was hard to judge what kind of snafu could be under rear base.

Conetrol
    "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

-Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Boolit Master
    I have a bunch of 99's, more than 20 that are factory drilled and tapped, 308's, 243's, 284's, 358's. My experience with them is check your how bases align horizontally and for parallel set edges with the 2 piece Weaver style bases and for for square level contact on the one piece bases. You can probably get away with just cranking all the screws tight, bases and then rings but it may not be the BEST way to mount a scope.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20210204_105734_45486035098845.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	278118

Hers is the 2nd from the top

Well we made the trip down to the sellers house today, she came home with us. It's a 1967 year and carbine barrel. Range report to soon follow. ������