Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: best 9mm mold for 1911

Superb group!
    That boolit looks like the NOE 135 RF I have except in hollow point. The hollow point mold I have for it throws at 125 grains +/- with range scrap.
    I haven't worked with that boolit much in that configuration.
    That powder charge seems a bit excessive. That powder is much faster than most that use that charge weight. I would expect pressures to be in the +P+ range. Have you done any work with slower powders such as Longshot or CFE Pistol?
    Have you chronographed the load?

Boolit Bub
    Well I put that MH 359-135 that Andyc sent the link too in my cart at MP. Well I did my usual research thing because I wasn't sure if I wanted a bevel base, decided this morning to order it and...... yep snooze ya loose. someone snagged it. I think I'm going to call NOE and MP today to see about upcoming availability.

Boolit Bub
    Forrestr, thats some good shooting there, exactly what Im after just without powder coating (maybe someday)

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Superb group!
    That boolit looks like the NOE 135 RF I have except in hollow point. The hollow point mold I have for it throws at 125 grains +/- with range scrap.
    I haven't worked with that boolit much in that configuration.
    That powder charge seems a bit excessive. That powder is much faster than most that use that charge weight. I would expect pressures to be in the +P+ range. Have you done any work with slower powders such as Longshot or CFE Pistol?
    Have you chronographed the load?
    Thank you, ya that is my bullseye load.

Per hornady 4th edition page 547 (any of their 124gr bullets/lrn,fmj-rn,fmj-fp) they used a 4" bbl'd S&W model 39 for their testing
    WW WST:
    4.8gr ='s 1025fps
    5.0gr ='s 1050fps
    5.2gr ='s 1075fps
    5.4gr ='s 1100fps

I'm getting 1100fps in my RO 1911 with that 5.0gr load of WST.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    Here's a 135 available from Miha over at MP Molds: https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-...e-multichoice/
    I have the same one, plus a few others, but this one is by far my favorite. Very accurate, will feed in any pistol and hit those steel plates like a hammer!

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    Thank you, ya that is my bullseye load.

Per hornady 4th edition page 547 (any of their 124gr bullets/lrn,fmj-rn,fmj-fp) they used a 4" bbl'd S&W model 39 for their testing
    WW WST:
    4.8gr ='s 1025fps
    5.0gr ='s 1050fps
    5.2gr ='s 1075fps
    5.4gr ='s 1100fps

I'm getting 1100fps in my RO 1911 with that 5.0gr load of WST.
    Thank you for that info. I will check my Hornady books and see what they have to say. I didn't know they had data for WST in 9mm.
    If I was getting accuracy like that with a load, I would not change it. That is as good as it gets.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wc870 View Post
    Well I put that MH 359-135 that Andyc sent the link too in my cart at MP. Well I did my usual research thing because I wasn't sure if I wanted a bevel base, decided this morning to order it and...... yep snooze ya loose. someone snagged it. I think I'm going to call NOE and MP today to see about upcoming availability.
    Oh well - I tried
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    Here's a 135 available from Miha over at MP Molds: https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-...e-multichoice/
    I have a MP359-130 (8 cav. solid version) which is a slightly lighter version. It's my best 9mm mold.

Boolit Master

9mm 1911 feeding problems are almost always magazine related.

CDNN used to carry a Zenith brand mag, those work 100% in my RIA 9mm. They are basically identical to the Wilson mags.
    NRA Benefactor.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I had that issue with an RIA 9MM 1911 pistol. It would not feed the top round no matter the nose design or who made it. It even did it with factory round nose. Nose dive jam.
    My solution was to use Wilson Combat magazines that have the small feed ramp built into the front. It works perfectly with those.

My Springfield Range Officer works with anything without problems unless the OAL is too short.The Lee 95 grain RF and the Lee 105 SWC are too short and fail more often than not. Lee 120 TC and other similar designs work really well as well as most other RF designs that have longer noses.
    Wilsons were iffy in my Springfield. I tried them all & am running Tripps. It will feed most bullet styles, but I stick with the RN or RNFP, just incase.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by wc870 View Post
    Arsenal has a 130 gr. that looks identical to the MP359-135: it's not a BB. In addition to being accurate, it's has the same shape & seating length as the Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. JHP that is my carry load. I have 4 of their 5 cav. alum. molds & like them.

I like the Lyman 356402. It shots well in my Colt Combat Commander, a Browning Hi Power, a S&W 39-2 and a Sig 210-A Target. Never had a feed problem. That mold was designed about 1919 to be like the original German 9MM military bullet. I've cast about 10,000 of them without any issues.
    I think I see a rip in the social fabric, Brother can you spare some ammo?
    Corb Lund

Boolit Master

About that nose dive...had same issue with Wilson Combat mags. I had originally thought it was COAL issue. Turns out the magazine was the problem. Shimmed the polymer insert and so far no more nose dives. This was the thread with pictures.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
    Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"
    Smith Wesson 629 PP and 686 PP, 617

ok with all the reading and researching and hopefully that I slugged the barrel correctly I ordered a 358-130 4 cavity mold from Arsenal for my 9mm casting. This will go along with the Lee .490 round ball for my Hawken. I can not start casting until spring so the lead time is no concern. I would rather pay a mold maker rather than fleabag prices to a reseller.
    Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready.

Theodore Roosevelt- San Francisco May 13, 1903

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12